• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2nd and 3rd and 4th appearances??????

12 posts in this topic

So I'm bored today at work and starting thinking about some 1st appearances I want to buy (anyone check out the the new list of "soon-to-be-hot" 1st appearances in Wizard? Strong Guy?!). What is the deal with 2nd, 3rd, and 4th or how many appearances? Is this really valuable information? Do I really care about the 2nd appearance of Sabretooth or Deathstroke?

PS- Sorry, I bought a recent issue of Wizard. I should be shot.

Congrats to Drod31 on his 263rd appearance on the CGC Forums! 893applaud-thumb.gifinsane.gif

This thread is a sure fire collector's item! headbang.gif

edit:

Aces 13,465th appearance! acclaim.gif

There is some value in separating a "2nd appearance" or "3rd appearance" of a major character

from the otherwise unmentionable issues surrounding it in the price guide...

but this has already been done extensively for any characters who matter.

It's unlikely that a surprise "3rd appearance" will someday be extremely valuable versus today being cheap.

What might be more "profitable" to research (and debate) is whether the "cameo"

(as it has been known) 1st appearance of a character is actually worthy of being their celebrated 1st appearance.

"First full appearances" (and the market prices for such) can be fun to debate

if earlier appearances are more than a single panel and much cheaper to buy.

It will be interesting to see how the future markets (and documentations)

handle the "brief" vs. "full" 1st appearances.

I always thought these were noted so readers could follow the early appearances of a characters storyline chronologically rather than being significant from a value point of view?

Earl.

Silver age - Adventure 247 is the first appearance. Since they never had their own title for awhile and only made appearances, Overstreet goes crazy and starts listing every appearance they make up to something like 20th appearance. Back in the 80's they were a popular DC item.

I still collect legion issues, but I think I have virtually all of them up through the end of their run in Adventure. # 247 was the first of my Holy Grails when I began recollecting. The legion was what hooked me on comics when I started reading it almost 40 years ago.

I got my first one when I bought a bunch of bigger books from a former comicbook shop owner after he had closed his store. I picked it up almost 10 years ago and I got about 100 books ( mostly G-F and late gold/early silver) for a little over 10k. That is where I got my copy of the Big 3 Marvels also.

1217225-adv267.jpg

2nd appearance of the Legion!

1217225-adv267.jpg.439f94fdade8d25ad3adff0b94f10a53.jpg