• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st Marvel 25-cent Giant?

30 posts in this topic

Wow, this is pretty flarkin' incredible - Captain America Annual (1942) on ebay. I've never even heard of this book selling, and since I believe this is the 1st Marvel 25-cent Giant, all you Marvel 25-cent Giant completists better re-calibrate your scopes wink.gif

um... whoah. Never seen one of those before. I'm curious to see if it will make reserve though, being that this is a heritage week and plenty of big $$ Timely collectors are turning their lonely eyes to Dallas....

Man what a sweet book.

I wonder if CGC can even encapsulate this thing of beauty. Definatly an awsome collectors item that I am sure will generate quite a bit of interest.

Would be fun to guess the end price on this baby. My guess: $10,500 min. shocked.gif

Odin88 can confirm this. He owns a copy and bought it off someone in Victoria, BC who used to own I believe 3 copies of this book! Scarce but highly concentrated in our Province! shocked.gif

No, CGC cannot encapsulate the book at this time because it is too thick. They specifically list this book as one that they currently cannot slab. It may change with magazine grading? confused.gif

I thought Odin had the Marvel Mystery Annual? It came out a year later with the exact same contents, and another reprinted cover - this time from Marvel Mystery 33. Now I thought there was one of those on ebay in the last couple years...Odin?

BOTH of those Timely's r worth collecting. The Marvel Mystery b/w on sale last yr was not mine as I sold my 1st copy via Pac Comic Xchange for about 8x condition guide. What a bargain at the time. I traded a Capt America b/w to a clt in Northern Ont that was in slightly better condition than the scanned copy for a Show 8 + cash. Both r scarce. About 15-20 copies exist for Capt Amer. About 9 copies exist for Marvel Myst b/w. B/c a lot of collectors don't know what the heck these bks r, they sell for moderate prices on eBay. A Capt Amer b/w Unslabbed was in early Heritage auction or last greg Manning auction & sold for about 2x condition guide at the time.

Double-dip Dan,

I can't show u all my treasures but here's a pic of the elusive Marvel Mystery b/w (1944) printed in USA. Overstreet stated there were only 3 KNOWN copies in the late-70s. The Capt America b/w is printed in Canada so is not quite as highly sought after being a Canadian edition even though it came out about 2 yrs sooner.

1 of 9 extant.

The red splotches on Subby r due to my low budget scanner. Not actually on the cover. Kind of tough to upgrade due to RARITY.

The population on Capt America Timely b/w (1942) does not seem to be increasing at all. The current copy on eBay looks exactly like the 1 that was sold at Greg Manning around July/01 graded UNslabbed at g+, now vg- in eBay ad. Low estimate at the time was approx $2,400. Realized about $3,700 which is what the reserve is in current eBay auction. I am quite sure it will NOT reach $10k or even $5k. May be for the Marvel Mystery b/w which has 1/2 the KNOWN population compared to Capt America b/w Annual.

Isn't Strange Tages Annual #1 the very first annual for Marvel. Aren't annuals suppost to be a collection of old stories, reprints. I don't think annuals started showing new stories until the 70's. Unless the Captain America you point out has reprint stories, I don't believe it qualifies as an annual.

it does have reprints. It reprints two whole books (a captain america and a marvel mystery, if I'm not mistaken.)

As for the talk of Annuals not having original material until the 70s... What? Marvel Annuals in the 60s were chock full or original material. For example, the first telling of the origin of Doctor Doom and the wedding of Reed and Sue both happened in Fantastic Four Annuals (2 and 3 respectively.)

annuals in the 60s were "event" books. For example:

FF annual 1: Submariner takes over the earth, "longest story ever published"

FF annual 2: origin Dr. Doom

FF annual 3: Wedding of Sue and Reed

FF annual 4: Human Torch battles the GA Human Torch

FF annual 5: Psycho-Man, new Silver Surfer story

FF annual 6: first Annhilius, birth of Franklin Richards

Spidey annual 1: Battles the Sinister Six

Spidey annual 2: Dr. Strange crossover

etc. etc. etc.