• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Page quality versus grade - preference?

43 posts in this topic

Forgetting about market values and focusing purely on aesthetics, which copy

would you rather have (assuming you could NEVER sell the book - let's take

the monetary factor completely out of the equation):

1. (a) a CGC 9.6 white page copy of a book or (b) a CGC 9.8 off-white page copy

2. (a) a CGC 9.4 white page copy or (b) a CGC 9.6 off-white page copy

3. (a) a CGC 9.4 white page copy or (b) a CGC 9.6 cream to off-white page copy

4. (a) a CGC 9.2 white page copy or (b) a CGC 9.4 off-white page copy

5. (a) a CGC 9.2 white page copy or (b) a CGC 9.4 cream to off-white page copy

Just curious.

Gene

I'm with Scottish too, myself, except I'm somewhat indifferent between the 9.2 NM- with white pages and the 9.4 NM with off-white pages. I just won an ASM #128 CGC 9.4 with off-white pages a few minutes ago...I have a 9.2 copy already with white pages and I wasn't really sure if I should upgrade to the 9.4 owp or not.

I'm still not sure, in fact...I'll see how the 9.4 looks when it arrives and then list the copy I don't want to keep back on eBay.

Gene

i'd take all the high grade copies with lower page quality, cos im not keeping the books. im selling them, besides if there was a 9.8 TOS 49 or ASM 1 with OW pages compared to a 9.6 with white pages...you'd be an arse not to take the 9.8. shocked.gif

I've bought 9.4's that look 8.5 recently, and I don't care much for anything over a 9.4 in the off-white to white realm, because there is no difference whatsoever, merely someones opinion. How many of you have seen those Gaines File Copies with "light tan - off-white pages" in 9.8? Or a Nick Cage 9.4 with a dust shadow across the back cover? I bought an Avengers #39 9.6 with cream to off-white from a certain prominent CGC Charter Member that blew my mind!

My preferences would be:

1. b

2. b

3. a

4. b

5. b

I note b for 5., only if it's a pre-65 key issue, like the Avengers # 1 currently offered by Heritage because of its scarcity in HG. Post-65, minimum page quality must be OW.

Al. wink.gif

1. a

2. a

3. a

4. a

5. a

White Pages all the way. I'm a page quality freak though. I don't think CGC takes page quality into account unless it is really bad (i.e., brittle). However, when I see a CGC-graded comic with white pages I bump it up a little. For example, if I see a CGC NM- 9.2 with white pages, in my eyes, it's a NM 9.4. If I see a CGC NM 9.4 with white pages, in my eyes, it's a NM+ 9.6, and so on...