• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Page quality versus grade - preference?

43 posts in this topic

I mostly agree that their removal of comments from the label was a bad idea, but it wasn't totally without merit. It wasn't clear what should be noted and what shouldn't. Why note a date stamp on the label that is clearly visible on the front cover and not note other defects such as creases? Partial defect disclosure was confusing; it's easy to see how people might assume that the label comments were considered to be separate from the grade.

The ideal solution would have been to ditch the comments and return a copy of all graders' notes along with the slab. However, that would have cost more time and money to print the comments and clean them up and format them to make them presentable. Instead, they just went with ditching the comments. That could turn out to be a long-term mistake; it definitely ticks me off as a collector. And it definitely makes no sense to not note defects you can't see from the front, which is all most sellers show in scans. One of the whole reasons for CGC starting up when it did was to make mail-order dealer and Internet sales more viable; Internet marketing factors should weigh heavily in CGC's product decisions.

return a copy of all graders' notes along with the slab. However, that would have cost more time and money to print the comments and clean them up and format them to make them presentable.

What they need to do is release their database of graders notes up on the website, using the barcode as the search key. Obviously they have quick access to the info as they can talk to customers about specific defects over the phone...

Bingo, that idea would save a ton of time & money. I still maintain that a checklist (1-page) submitted with each book allows the receipient to carefully review the defects while having the book in hand. Maybe they could do the notes in PDF format on CGC letterhead. That'd be nice to store with the book for future reference.