• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comix International #1 - Mail away, white cover, Corben art, what's not to love?

11 posts in this topic

I'f you have never cracked one of these books open your missing out! Awesome deep color work inside by Corben. This one was always tough as heck, because it had a white cover that could get dirty as heck, and a black back cover on hard cardstock, that creased as soon as it was open. cloud9.gif Corben

1230418-Image0005.JPG

1230418-Image0006.JPG

1230418-Image0006.JPG.60f25171b2d3a196f26fc00524329b51.JPG

That Mummy at the top always cracks me up because I know that in the story he is from, what lights up his eyes like that is the view of the enormous pair of ta-tas on the female tomb raider! 27_laughing.gif

Nice copy, solid 9.0

Looks better than a 9.0 to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

I appreciate getting strict grades from the Comic folks here on the board. As magazines are a relatively new in the field of collecting and grading (compared to comics), the verdict is still up on what is accepted in certain grades. If the honorable comic folks are giving me solid VF/NM 9.0's on a mag, I know that Mag collectors would most likely be pleased if it was as a NM- 9.2. Roughly a grade higher in certain instances. For There are slight imperfections that are accepted in higher grades on magazines because they were a different animal in storage and distribution and even production. As magazine collectors know, getting these books in Strict VF+ and better are the collector copies. As you will see with the Beatles book I put up, it is newstand fresh, supple, tight though technically an 8.5.

It's funny I think generally the newer collectors and those who haven't been around properly graded comics, feel that VF books should be filled with Spine stress and multiple creases...that' really not the case! I love picking me up some solid VF+ graded magazines on the cheap! gossip.gif ...don't know how long that will last though.

In hand I had this graded at a Solid VF/NM 9.0 deductions coming from the back cover. The front cover looks NM all the way though.

-bounty

These Warren Mail-order books (Comix Int., Vampi Special, Spirit Special) are a different animal too. With the hard stock cover, these books were better protected in most cases than their soft cover brothers so if I see slight creases or rubbing on these types of books it has to bring the grade down. Another thing that happens to these books often is that the glue becomes dried and the interior pages individualy or as a group become detached from the cover. So an otherwise NM looking copy could have the interior pages hanging in there by a thread!

These Warren Mail-order books (Comix Int., Vampi Special, Spirit Special) are a different animal too. With the hard stock cover, these books were better protected in most cases than their soft cover brothers so if I see slight creases or rubbing on these types of books it has to bring the grade down. Another thing that happens to these books often is that the glue becomes dried and the interior pages individualy or as a group become detached from the cover. So an otherwise NM looking copy could have the interior pages hanging in there by a thread!

I agree...to an extent. Ultimately a defect is a defect, so regardless of stock cover or normal paper a color breaking crease is a color breaking crease which I'm sure we both agree on. stooges.gif

Because these were Mail order, I feel it definitely opens these books up to arriving as NM- or VF/NM just with a dinged corner, taking a large portion of the otherwise NM copies off the market immediately because of shipping damage (in addition the the qty folded in half! 893whatthe.gif

I also feel that these Cardstockers' when open create cover creasing that is permanent. If you opened these Comix International books at anything more than a 50 degree angle, you would probably produce some creasing to the spine, unlike normal paper books you could probably ply those up to 80 degrees constantly but gently with no worries.

I think that the cardstock protected the spines from horizontal stress marks better than soft paper, as well as the corners. But if you open the book to read, forget about it, instant vertical spine stress. sorry.gif

haha, either way juggle.gif it's fun talking about it, regardless of the oppinions wink.gif

-bounty