• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ahem . . . 9.8 anyone? Thor #229

43 posts in this topic

9.4 stress line from opening at top staple, slight wear bottom left corner and color abrasion on back cover. How does it look under the light at an angle?

Another nice Tomato Boxer

Yeah, that stress line at the top staple is HUGE sumo.gif Oh and btw, GORGEOUS wink.gif

Remember; you are not your books................. grin.gif

lol his books are all 9.8, everyone elses are 8.5

9.4 stress line from opening at top staple, slight wear bottom left corner and color abrasion on back cover. How does it look under the light at an angle?

Yeah, that stress line at the top staple is HUGE sumo.gif Oh and btw, GORGEOUS wink.gif

lol his books are all 9.8, everyone elses are 8.5

Not true . . . only yours . . . and make that 7.5 sumo.gif

poke2.gif

Hi David.........

sorta what he said as to the tiny color flake at the LLC and tiny spine stress line/lines. (as well as Aces catching that tiny rust dot on the staple).

i also believe that up at the 9.8 grade, CGC would take the miswrap into account - no??

one last thing which is probably just a hair on the screen or book, but the dude on the right edge in the brown suit has what looks like a hairline scratch across his body.

still, it looks immaculate at first glance and is probably at least an E-bay 9.6...... devil.gif

Hi Harry,

This is indeed a complete inventory of the books flaws. Now, one must admit that the level of scrutiny is absurd! As to the 9.2 grade, was Pedro's first book a USM? 27_laughing.gif

The hairline "scratch" you refer to is perhaps the tiniest printer's "crease" I've ever seen; the flake is electron-microscopic, as I mentioned the tiny speck of rust is now gone (flicked right off) and that stress line at the lower tine of the top staple 893scratchchin-thumb.gif (Yikes!).

btw, I don't believe the slight miswrap at the top would keep it out of 9.8 gossip.gif

hi.gif

Deeeep breaths, in and out. Remember your sigline.

9.4/9.6 tossup. The miswrap is a non-issue, but the few spine stresses might make the difference between a NM and a NM+ depending on how the graders are feeling that day.

Oh, and for all of you haters out there, I have seen spine stresses on 9.8s. Too much hating going on around here lately on some sweet books.

thumbsup2.gifhi.gif

Exactly. 27_laughing.gif

speck of rust top staple and two stress marks on spine sumo.gif

The "speck" is gone . . . and that's it? Even with all three, you have to say 9.6 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893whatthe.gif

It's a PLOD now! 893naughty-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif

stooges.gif

Hey David, how long does it take you to press those Thors up anyway....it's been a long time since your last CGC 10.0 submission poke2.gif Ok, now I'll go back and grade it. sorry.gif

Hey CD,

There's a huge difference between the quality of books that were hand-selected and have never seen the light of day for thirty years . . . and the kind of stuff you've been cashing in on poke2.gif As you've never really seen a Tomato Boxer, may I suggest that you actually, ahem, buy one? wink.gif

You'd probably wet your pants. 27_laughing.gif It would actually be a shame to slab a book like this.

I don't see any gloss on those tomato boxers poke2.gif

I've got a few of my own personal collection hand selected from just after that era, and I've picked up an original owner collection or two that had "pants wetting issues". I'm just wondering why someone that would go to the painstaking effort to hand select books and store them for 30+ years would use tomato boxes. foreheadslap.gifpoke2.gif

Hey David, how long does it take you to press those Thors up anyway....it's been a long time since your last CGC 10.0 submission poke2.gif Ok, now I'll go back and grade it. sorry.gif

Hey CD,

There's a huge difference between the quality of books that were hand-selected and have never seen the light of day for thirty years . . . and the kind of stuff you've been cashing in on poke2.gif As you've never really seen a Tomato Boxer, may I suggest that you actually, ahem, buy one? wink.gif

You'd probably wet your pants. 27_laughing.gif It would actually be a shame to slab a book like this.

You should ship me a cheap HG freebie and then I could tout your collection to the world. acclaim.gif

Hey CD,

You should ship me a cheap HG freebie and then I could tout your collection to the world. acclaim.gif

it's a very small world up there . . . 27_laughing.gifhi.gif

Exactly. 27_laughing.gif

yeahok.gif Since it's my mantra, does that mean you are agreeing with me? for once? 27_laughing.gif

9.4 speck of rust top staple and two stress marks on spine sumo.gif

How about the LLC? 9.2/9.4.

In its freakin' sleep . . . makepoint.gif I spit on 9.2's sumo.gif bah pittooey 27_laughing.gif

I'm just wondering why someone that would go to the painstaking effort to hand select books and store them for 30+ years would use tomato boxes.

State of the art sumo.gif No boards either, which is why the page color is so astounding - it's an injustice to just call these "white" wink.gif

They don't come much better than this Tomato Boxer acclaim.gif

Forgive me ignorance, but what is a "tomato boxer"?

Jeffro,

When I was a high school kid (1971-74) I was working a summer job as a clerk at the local drug store. One of my jobs was to unband the comics and magazines as they were delivered, and to put them on the racks.

From those, I was able to hand choose the titles and copies I wanted and put them in a bag to take home at the end of my shift. At this point in time poly bags (Robert Bell) were available, but you had to be a NASA scientist to get mylar. As my purchases exceeded my allotted reading time (due mostly to girls), I bagged most books without reading them, and put them in their series stack in one of a dozen or so parafiin coated tomato boxes I used for storing books at the time.

These stayed in the closet in my parents ground floor basement until 1995, when my parents sold the house and moved to Florida. Just before the house changed hands I flew home and shipped the books back as they were stored via UPS to California.

I first looked at them again in June 2002, after some 25 years going untouched.

grin.gif

I like most of the covers in the 220s range. Does anyone know who did them?

Well Rich Buckler did #228 and #230, and Gil Kane chimes in with #231, but this one looks like Johnny Romita, Sr. to me 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I like most of the covers in the 220s range. Does anyone know who did them?

Well Rich Buckler did #228 and #230, and Gil Kane chimes in with #231, but this one looks like Johnny Romita, Sr. to me 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Looks like Thor to me confused-smiley-013.gif