• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Creepy 17 another high grade copy

15 posts in this topic

back cover is dirty, will need a ruling on this as the rest is pretty good. I'll say a 9.0 but i'm not good with dirty covers

with that much dirt? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifm will have to reevaluate how i grade dirty covers

The soiling looks pretty mild to me. confused-smiley-013.gif Maybe a 9.2 though...

confused-smiley-013.gif paging the king

with that much dirt? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifm will have to reevaluate how i grade dirty covers

The soiling looks pretty mild to me. confused-smiley-013.gif Maybe a 9.2 though...

You would have better luck paging Divad...he has slabbed many a magazine in the past. gossip.gif

You would have better luck paging Divad...he has slabbed many a magazine in the past. gossip.gif

He gives out grades? i thought he just talked about tomato boxers and how they're all 10.0 poke2.gif

unless mags are graded on the comic book GA scale, i'd call this one a 9.0........nice copy..........

According to the OSGG that is how Magazines are suppossed to be assessed. Not quite sure if CGC follows that though... sorry.gif

actually, i didn't know that there was truly a GA (golden age) scale for Comics according to anyone........... confused.gif

i've always perceived it to merely be a seemingly somewhat less strict approach by CGC in grading older GA books................. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif sometimes referred to as the GA "curve"..........

Harry,

The first thing to remember is that magazines are larger. The size of defects should be judged proportionately. A few other criteria are taken into account also, like original production quality, square bindings when used (same variances in grading as squarebound or 100-Pagers etc.), and defects that appear on each and every copy.

Magazines due to their size, weight, number of pages, and various bindings have different considerations than the lesser 16-wrap comic book. Sunken staples, spine rubbing due to stacking, mis-aligned covers, bindery chips, and the like are much more common in magazines, and a "softer" assessment is generally applied. Like Bounty and Jayman have said before, true high grade pre-1975 mags 9.4 and above are few and far between, and should be worshipped tongue.gif

In a nutshell, side-by-side, a 9.0 comic is going to look superior to a 9.0 magazine, and the differences only get greater as you move down to 8.0 and lower grades. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif