• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 5 Keys of All Time.

85 posts in this topic

No Love for Whiz #2(1). What a shame.

I made it # 5 on my list. thumbsup2.gif

Don't encourage him, pleeaaaaaze makepoint.gifstooges.gif

NO SOUP FOR YOU! makepoint.gif

Now.....go away or I will taughnt you for a second time! 893naughty-thumb.gif

sumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

i think 'Tec 38 might actually be as important as 'Tec 27.

most of the general public knows "Batman" as "Batman AND Robin".

what about Batman 1? first appearance Joker, Catwoman.

in terms of impact, u could make the case that 'Tec 38 = Bats 1 > 'Tec 27, since many people aren't even very familiar with the concept of a SOLO Batman at all.

since many people aren't even very familiar with the concept of a SOLO Batman at all.

Yes, the absence of Robin clearly caused many disappointed moviegoers to bypass the first two Batman movies, thus leading to their dismal failure at the box office. yeahok.gif

All-Story October, 1912 (first Tarzan)

Mickey Mouse Magazine 1

Action Comics 1

Detective Comics 27

Amazing Fantasy 15

First appearances of Tarzan, Mickey Mouse, Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man. Yeah, that'll do it.

thumbsup2.gif

since many people aren't even very familiar with the concept of a SOLO Batman at all.

Yes, the absence of Robin clearly caused many disappointed moviegoers to bypass the first two Batman movies, thus leading to their dismal failure at the box office. yeahok.gif

geez - are u really that cynical, or do u just come across that way online?

what about the old 1960s series?

First appearances of Tarzan

I have the same issue with Tarzan as I do with the Disney characters. Comics had nothing to do with their success and popularity. Tarzan was already a successful book, and it was the movies and comic strip that kept him in the public eye. Most people probably don't even realize there was a Tarzan comic book. They're certainly not sought after, given the insanely low prices paid for NM copies of the Dell issues from the 40s and 50s.

My picks:

1. Action #1 (is there anyone who's not going to pick this?)

2. Detective #27 (is there anyone who's not going to pick this?)

3. Superman #1 (first solo title for a superhero)

4. All-Star Comics #3 (first superhero team)

5. Fantastic Four #1 (started the Marvel era of comics)

I don't care how popular Spider-Man is, his first appearance will never rank above FF #1, in my mind.

893scratchchin-thumb.gifmm - so Robin ranks lower than a non-first apperance issue of Superman, and lower than a non-descript super-hero team (um... Batman AND Robin are a superhero team).

i'd even say Batman and Robin are more significant than the Fantastic Four.

geez - are u really that cynical, or do u just come across that way online?

what about the old 1960s series?

Actually, I think the word you're looking for is sarcastic, and yes I am! grin.gif

Look, if you asked me for a Top 5 GA books, I would definitely include Detective #38 in there because it was the first superhero sidekick, starting a trend that would unfortunately continue in comics for pretty much forever. But in a list of Top 5 of all books, I don't think it makes it, and certainly not over Detective #27. I think Batman has done just fine in popular culture on his own, as well as with Robin.

I have the same issue with Tarzan as I do with the Disney characters. Comics had nothing to do with their success and popularity. Tarzan was already a successful book, and it was the movies and comic strip that kept him in the public eye. Most people probably don't even realize there was a Tarzan comic book. They're certainly not sought after, given the insanely low prices paid for NM copies of the Dell issues from the 40s and 50s.

That's why I listed the 1912 pulp. You find me a NM copy of that book, and I'll buy you any Duck book you want. Just comic characters? I assume by your criteria above you're eliminating Uncle Scrooge and the Ninja Turtles, right?

Action 1

Detective 27

Captain America 1

Pep 22

Amazing Fantasy 15

Superman, Batman, Captain America, Archie and Spider-Man. I can live with that.

Yes, the absence of Joker and Catwoman clearly caused many disappointed moviegoers to bypass the last two Batman movies, thus leading to their dismal failure at the box office. yeahok.gif

Look, if you asked me for a Top 5 GA books, I would definitely include Detective #38 in there because it was the first superhero sidekick, starting a trend that would unfortunately continue in comics for pretty much forever. But in a list of Top 5 of all books, I don't think it makes it, and certainly not over Detective #27. I think Batman has done just fine in popular culture on his own, as well as with Robin.

fine. this is an elegant reply.

gossip.gif Donut was talking about the "Holy Grail" of Pulp Collecting: All-Story Magazine. It is to pulps what Action Comics # 1 is to comics, The single most important/collectible pulp magazine out there, and the start of modern mythology. You have the old-world mythological (greek mythology), a smatering of sci-fi & then there is the modern mythological, in the form of Tarzan. The next step was "The Superman". cloud9.gif

A Near Mint copy of that pulp may well bring more dollars than a Near Mint Action # 1, but we'll probaly never know. It's like comparing Barry Bonds to Babe Ruth, as in you'll never be able to see it.

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

I'm Total Newbie now!..........and a nice way to usher it in! thumbsup2.gif

yay.gif

That's why I listed the 1912 pulp. You find me a NM copy of that book, and I'll buy you any Duck book you want. Just comic characters? I assume by your criteria above you're eliminating Uncle Scrooge and the Ninja Turtles, right?

Action 1

Detective 27

Captain America 1

Pep 22

Amazing Fantasy 15

Superman, Batman, Captain America, Archie and Spider-Man. I can live with that.

I saw the 1912 date, but figured it was just some Platinum or Victorian picture book/quasi-comic of some sort.

I should know the answer to this, since I loved ERB books when I was a kid, but is this pulp the first appearance of Tarzan? I take it he first appeared in serial formats, like Dickens, before being collected into a book? So what kind of condition is the best known copy in, and how much is it worth?

In any event, if it`s a pulp, it`s still a written work as opposed to a comic and therefore doesn`t qualify for the list.

Scrooge McDuck is an interesting one, since he`s a pure comic book creation by Carl Books. But, since he`s derived from the Disney duck mythos, I would have to rank FC 178, his first appearance, lower than it might otherwise deserve.

TMNT is different. They first appeared and became popular in a comic book, notwithstanding that they became household names because of movies and TV. Plus, they were inspired by a comic, and were part of an important movement in the history of comics. So actually, I would probably give them a pretty high ranking in my all-time list.

fine. this is an elegant reply.

flowerred.gif

Yes, the absence of Joker and Catwoman clearly caused many disappointed moviegoers to bypass the last two Batman movies, thus leading to their dismal failure at the box office. yeahok.gif

The last 2 Batman movies (one of which included the first appearance of Robin in the movies poke2.gif) were failures because they were atrocious movies. In the cinephile`s dictionary, there is a picture of Joel Schumacher next to the words "untalented hack".

2) public awareness of the character in the book and will proxy awareness by the Box Office $$ for the movie featuring the character

What did I predict again. It took only one more page before people start invoking movie revenues! Aaah the agony of being a seer!

As for the All-Story October 1912, here's the notation in the Guide to the Pulps:

"Tarzan of the Apes - Edgard Rice Burroughs (Complete novel in this issue; author's second published work and first story under his own name). First appearance of Tarzan; (Classic Cover by Clinton Pettee - First Published image of Tarzan - wrestles with lion in jungle) RARE: probably fewer than 20 existing copies - currently the single most valuable pulp magazine

G - $10,000

VG - $20,000

F - $40,000 (?)"

I like the way that the Guide people states that all bets are off on value for a top graded copy.

Burroughs's first published work was Under the Moons of Mars in the February 1912 issue of All-Story under the pseudonym Norman Bean. It was later published as a book in 1917 as Princess of Mars. Comparatively, the value if 10 times less: G $1,000, VG $2,500 and F $5,000.

2) public awareness of the character in the book and will proxy awareness by the Box Office $$ for the movie featuring the character

What did I predict again. It took only one more page before people start invoking movie revenues! Aaah the agony of being a seer!

As for the All-Story October 1912, here's the notation in the Guide to the Pulps:

"Tarzan of the Apes - Edgard Rice Burroughs (Complete novel in this issue; author's second published work and first story under his own name). First appearance of Tarzan; (Classic Cover by Clinton Pettee - First Published image of Tarzan - wrestles with lion in jungle) RARE: probably fewer than 20 existing copies - currently the single most valuable pulp magazine

G - $10,000

VG - $20,000

F - $40,000 (?)"

I like the way that the Guide people states that all bets are off on value for a top graded copy.

Burroughs's first published work was Under the Moons of Mars in the February 1912 issue of All-Story under the pseudonym Norman Bean. It was later published as a book in 1917 as Princess of Mars. Comparatively, the value if 10 times less: G $1,000, VG $2,500 and F $5,000.

The value is less because the Princess of Mars story, while being his first, is insignificant in comparison to the Tarzan, All-Story. It's like Seigel & Shuster's first comicbook work as compared to Action Comics # 1: a collecting thing for those who 1) collect S&S work, 2) comic historians 3) happen to be collecting the title...

All-Story is listed in the 1st Bookery Fantasy: Ultimate Guide to the Pulps as "Rare", Possibly fewer than 10-20 copies exist (Scarce & Rare are used, in opposite of how I would use them. I would list the book as "Scarce".) "A VG copy slightly repaired, sold at Sotheby's in 1999 for $17,250.00 (the record auction price ever paid for a pulp magazine), reportedly re-sold at a higher level in 2000 (Damn Pulp Flipper's!!! Christo_pull_hair.gif), and failed to meet the seller's reserve on Ebay with a high-bid of $14,000.00 in Feb., 2001" (shows the buying mentality of Ebay, like a garage sale venue).

Edited to correct some spelling