• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please Grade and Answer a ?

19 posts in this topic

Ok

Sorry for having just been posting questions here. But I am still trying to get the hang of the whole collecting thing. It has only been 6 years of modern for me. Until I bought a collection with a bunch of older stuff.

Could someone please help me grade this. And also do books in this shape still maintain some value. I mean I figured it to be about a 6.0. Are these still worth something?

http://www.angelfire.com/nm/loganzone/Spider.html

My grade, and please note that I tend to be conservative:

VG 4.0

Spider creases on the spine, appears to be some small tears on a couple of them, the creases on the left corner. A solid VG, but VG nonetheless.

Ok.that is fine. I figured I was being way to hopeful anyway. But as to my question..do books in this shape really have any value? All I ever see on this site is talk of 9.0-9.8 for selling. Does this mean that books in VG/Fn are really no sellable?

There's NO such thing as a bad selling Main-title 60s Marvel book. The saleability is dictated by the sanity of the asking price. This book wouldeasily sell, and quickly find itself a new home in the run of a collector as long as it's VG to VG/Fn grade is reflected by a VG to VG/Fn price.

Hmm..Wel at least I know that the books are sellable. Perhaps I should try putting one up on E-bay and see what happens. Although I am surprised about the $25. I figured that it would b worth a little more due to the fact that 60's books are not the easiest to find..in any condition. I know that I have probably hit a bout 100 comics shops in the last 6 years and I rarely see books lile those (Low ASM)..and when I do they seem to have big price tags in any condition. But thanks for the advice. I have a few other books I am going to put up later tonight just for grade opinions. And if anyone knows anyone looking for a few low ASM's in Vg let me know

Thanks..Mike

Mike,

I've noticed a big decline in Silver Age stock at comic books stores in the Toronto area in the past 10 years. It used to be that all stores had some Silver, but only a few of them have a decent selection now (maybe only Paradise and Silver Snail in Toronto?). However, conventions are as good as ever when it comes to looking for older stuff. There's a show run by Paradise that's coming up on the 20th of this month - you might want to check it out. - Raphael

Hey Raphael

Yeah I have noticed that. I very seldom buy from Silver Snail as their prices are usually a little high..same with 1,000,000 comics. Unless I am really desperate to get something I will wait. As for Paradise I am hoping to make it down there soon..haven't rummaged their basement for ages smile.gif

Mike

P.S. I will let ya know as soon as I et the Titans book and will give you a good ref smile.gif

Thanks Mike grin.gif

I would be wary of any 1,000,000 wall books that are on consignment - there's a fellow in Toronto that sells a lot of high grade Silver and Bronze that he's done amateur restoration on. It's hard to detect sometimes so be wary. Silver Snail can be expensive, but you can find bargains on the occasion. They also have the occasional back issue sale which makes rummaging worthwhite grin.gif

Cool..and thanks for the info on 1,000,00 Comix. Just out of curiosity..I am not sure if you know but they have a copy of House of Secrets 92 on the wall there right now. Do you know if it is part of this guys "restored" pile?

Mike

I haven't been there in a while, but the guy likes to put a big rectangular sticker on one of the bottom corners of the bag noting any important facts about the book (i.e. first appearance so and so, etc.). Not all of his books are 'restored' but a good chunk of them of have had work done on them.

The Spidey book appears to be a solid Fine condition specimen. That's of course without doing a page count, restoration check, or seeing the inside or back cover.

you could get anywhere from $25.00 to $100.00 for this book. I'd suggest waiting unitl the month that Spider-man II is released to sell it though.

NO chance you'd get that kind of cash for the book. ZERO. None. You'll get between $18-30. This is a good example of a book that is NOT worth slabbing - will you increase your value by $25? I don't think so.

Ok..well thanks for all the advice. If anyone out there is interested in books in this shape please let me know..I have no real interest in Spidey...so I want to dump the stuff I have in order to work on other runs. I have included a list below of what I have. Most is in the same shape as the book I had put up..so probably 4.0. The last stuff is in better shape. If you want them...just e-mail me at qrg845@hotmail.com

Thanks..Mike

Amazing Spiderman 1st Series

#’s 34, 35, 37, 38, 44, 47x2, 49, 57, 66, 77-84, 96, 97, 110, 117, 124, 125, 141-148, 151-164, 170, 172, 173, 175, 179, 181, 182, 189, 209, 214, 230, 232, 234, 241, 244, 248, 252, 258, 261, 262,, 281-290, 292-343

With the numerous spine stresses that break color and the other cover creases,

and slight marvel chipping this book will grade a 5.0 . The high gloss brings it up from a 4.0. Get the approx. selling price by doing a search for completed items on ebay