• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Holy Marvel Pictureframes..now that's a nice price!

150 posts in this topic

A verifiable toughy in high grade, X-Men # 79 in CGC 9.4 is going for a mint in the latest Comiclink auction:

Click here.

I think a fellow Board member owns the other 9.4 (unless its his that's up for sale). Many of those damn Pictureframes can be SO hard, they rival some pre-65 Marvels in the uber grades for scarcity. Hopefully, sales like this will bring a few more to market.

$850 for reprinted issues is stupid..I wouldnt pay that much for anything between 67-93 that just nuts...
The covers of some of those reprints never apealed to me. Not to say bad things about the artist... just never interested me.

$850 for reprinted issues is stupid..I wouldnt pay that much for anything between 67-93 that just nuts...

I'm not going to disagree here. As much as I need a nice # 79 for my Pictureframe collection, $800 is way over my budget.

That being said, the price is a function of its genuine scarcity. If you're one of those high grade collectors putting together a nice X-Men run in CGC 9.4 or better, this might well be one of the last issues you need to reach your objective. In that case, money is no object.

I think you have to consider the fact that after 7 years of CGC, only two copies of this issue have ever reached 9.4 status, with none higher. However, the chance that a sale like this flushes one or two more out of the woodwork is very high indeed.

I would think that as reprints,issues 67-93,were not given the same respect the original issues were,in terms of storage and hoarding.I'd imagine HG copies of these books exist in far fewer numbers than issues 60-66.Someone putting together a HG run of XMen will have few shots at a 9.4 of these copies.

I would think that as reprints,issues 67-93,were not given the same respect the original issues were,in terms of storage and hoarding.I'd imagine HG copies of these books exist in far fewer numbers than issues 60-66.Someone putting together a HG run of XMen will have few shots at a 9.4 of these copies.

The fact that they were reprints is certainly a factor in their relative scarcity in high grade.

Another is the print runs of the time. Despite what many assume, many Bronze Marvels of the Pictureframe era from 1971-1973 had lower print runs then the 15-centers from just a year ago. This is especially true of the romance, western, funny character, and superhero reprint titles.

Mainline Spideys and FFs and the other superhero titles can be found in NM (though there are exceptions, certain X-Men and Hulk issues from this era pose a challenge), but the offbeat titles can be down right annoying to locate in high grade.

I understand that they might be harder to get in high grade due to most people didnt give a @#%& about those books but would you pay that much for a reprint even if its hard to get in high grade..maybe....maybe... a 9.8 but not a 9.4..

but would you pay that much for a reprint even if its hard to get in high grade..maybe....maybe... a 9.8 but not a 9.4..

If I was trying to get a full run of X-Men then I would. It all depends on how bad you want to have a complete set.

Its a reprint who the hell cares..especially 850 bucks whoever pays that needs special help screwy.gif..You can use 850 bucks for alot better books then that

Don't sell the reprint issues short...they are one of the last great collecting challenges for Marvel completionists.

The difference between that book, and say, a X-Men # 94 in 9.2 is that you can always find a 9.2 # 94 in that price range. They are abundant and readily available. Same cannot be said of the # 79 in 9.4.

Is the # 94 the "better" book? The more "significant" book? Yes and yes.

Is the # 79 the much tougher book to locate for the high grade completionist? Absolutely.

"I would think that as reprints,issues 67-93,were not given the same respect the original issues were,in terms of storage and hoarding.I'd imagine HG copies of these books exist in far fewer numbers than issues 60-66.Someone putting together a HG run of XMen will have few shots at a 9.4 of these copies."

The print-runs must have been pretty low given that this were reprints on a dead, unpopular, title, not reprints of popular characters of the day, but I don't think these were abused in the same away as books like Marvels Greatest or Marvel Super Heroes (reprint issues) were, which were in quarter or dime bins for 30 years. I remember these selling for more than I thought a reprint should sell for like 25 years ago (when the X-Men under Byrne were very hot) [mainly, I would have bought anything with X-Men then and dealers were not putting these in 25/50 cent boxes) Granted, I don't know how they were abused the first few years after they came out before there was a resurgence on X-men back issues with the coming of the new team and Byrne sending the title skyrocketing.

Its a reprint who the hell cares..especially 850 bucks whoever pays that needs special help screwy.gif..You can use 850 bucks for alot better books then that

You seem to come from the "Whatever I collect is great, whatever you collect suucks" camp. Congrats for pizzing all over what someone wants to buy. thumbsup2.gif

but I don't think these were abused in the same away as books like Marvels Greatest or Marvel Super Heroes (reprint issues) were, which were in quarter or dime bins for 30 years.

That is definitely true, and the X-Men issues were always part of a larger run, and were not tossed in the "reprint dumpster" with the rest of the pure reprint titles.

Plus, they actually sold better than I thought (on par with non-reprint X-Men I believe) which is probably why Marvel even kept the title going.

Everything is relative. Whats stupid to some is the completion of years of hard work to others. Some people consider collecting comics foolish to begin with. Thats their opinion and not mine or anybody else who collects. While I don't agree with them I still respect their decision and move on.

You seem to come from the "Whatever I collect is great, whatever you collect suucks" camp. Congrats for pizzing all over what someone wants to buy. thumbsup2.gif

Hey, I collect these and I can say with certainty, that this price is pure stupidity. Sure, if the guy is an addicted collector who *must* have the book, fine, but even then he obviously knows he's overpaid, but just doesn't care.

That still doesn't change that the price is insane.

None of these X-Men books are *rare* in NM 9.4, and like a lot of other pre-75 $$$ CGC submissions, I don't believe most collectors realize the insane prices some of these go for.