• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,100 posts in this topic

As an aside, I had this as a kid and I want one again. BAD!

Endless fun!!!

My Holy Grail is the Airfix Guadalcanal Playset.... I have looked for years, but have never been able to find one. I had one in 1978, and I'd kill for another one.

Nice pick up Shep.

For me personally OFF issues from around 52 until Severin started on The Losers have no appeal whatsoever. 71 is an exception. I'd kill verbally berate someone horribly ;) to have a VF or better copy of that book.

I used to feel the same way about the Gunnner and Sarge OFFs from that era, but as I've picked a few up - especially when they show up in grade - they have some charm. And there are some decent backups here and there, mostly by Heath.

My grail is to find OFF #65 in really nice shape... it's the first 10-center I ever owned, and I have been completely unable to find a nice copy.

As for the 71, yeah it's a pain in the kiester to get in grade. I got a nice one several years back, and I still keep an eye out for other copies... very tough book.

Wonder who bought the 9.2 that came up several years back that went for ridiculous money.

Shep

Hey all,

One of my passions besides comics is collecting toy soldiers, mostly Airfix HO scale stuff from the 60s and 70s.

Last week, while noodling ebay, I found a group of Airfix boxes I needed.... and sort of tucked into the lot was a very rare, and interesting item...

A complete 'TANK TRAP' game from the Helen of Toy company. Having seen literally hundreds of ads for them in the DC war comics over the years, I was always curious about what they were all about.

I'll take some shots and post them over the weekend. Dinky and low-rent for sure, but no question that it has a certain charm.

Shep

Looking forward to the pics! :popcorn:

As an aside, I had this as a kid and I want one again. BAD!

Endless fun!!!

My Holy Grail is the Airfix Guadalcanal Playset.... I have looked for years, but have never been able to find one. I had one in 1978, and I'd kill for another one.

Hey Shep,

Check out this site. It shows the contents of all of those cool war toy sets advertised in the comics. I never got any of these but man, did I ever want to!

http://home.att.net/~1.elliott/comicbooktoysoldiers.html

I've seen that site before - it's got a lot of great info on these kinds of mail order sets. The Russ Heath info is priceless!

The same guy who runs that site tried to restart the whole Helen of Toy, packaged toy soldier games thing but the whole enterprise failed.... I guess there weren't enough nostalgia buffs or kids with enough interest.

My son (ten years old) has a ridiculously huge collection of toy soldiers. The local dollar store gets dollar bags of them all the time, and he picks them up out of his newspaper money. They are definitely made from the same molds that have been kicking around for years - I recognized may that I had myself (and they seemed old in the '70s). Anyway, he is the only kid with a bunch of toy soldiers, but when is friends come over, that's all they want to play with.... keeps 'em busy for hours.

Shep

I've seen that site before - it's got a lot of great info on these kinds of mail order sets. The Russ Heath info is priceless!

The same guy who runs that site tried to restart the whole Helen of Toy, packaged toy soldier games thing but the whole enterprise failed.... I guess there weren't enough nostalgia buffs or kids with enough interest.

My son (ten years old) has a ridiculously huge collection of toy soldiers. The local dollar store gets dollar bags of them all the time, and he picks them up out of his newspaper money. They are definitely made from the same molds that have been kicking around for years - I recognized may that I had myself (and they seemed old in the '70s). Anyway, he is the only kid with a bunch of toy soldiers, but when is friends come over, that's all they want to play with.... keeps 'em busy for hours.Shep

Somehow this gives me just a little bit of hope for the next generation. My neighbors and I would have huge battles that we set up in the backyard -- we would go on for hours.

Granted, If I had Call of Duty 3 on the Xbox 360 like he does, those toy soldiers probably would have gotten pretty dusty. :grin:

My son is a nostalgia rat like this old man... we go on ebay all the and find cool old cheap toys. His toy gun is an old Marx tommy gun, and he love's the old Corgi tanks that you push in the barell and the fire the little shells. Since we're buying to play, that stuff is CHEAP!!!

My wife and three daughters just roll their eyes....

Granted, If I had Call of Duty 3 on the Xbox 360 like he does, those toy soldiers probably would have gotten pretty dusty. :grin:

My son is a nostalgia rat like this old man... we go on ebay all the and find cool old cheap toys. His toy gun is an old Marx tommy gun, and he love's the old Corgi tanks that you push in the barell and the fire the little shells. Since we're buying to play, that stuff is CHEAP!!!

My wife and three daughters just roll their eyes....

Not everyone is enlightened. :juggle:

I swear I should have been a guy and I remember being stuck with

my two stupid sisters playing with Barbies and always trying to

sneak into my four Brothers' war battles with their cool toy soldiers.

That is so cool your Son enjoys toys like that Shep and as Adam

stated it restores my faith in the younger generation of kids and

not always glued to some video game.

A few books I forgot to post. This beauty is thanks to my good friend

Andy. (worship)

Picture929.jpg

Another one from Andy and do any of you guys think the soldier on

the cover looks a lot like the mighty Rock. (shrug)

AAMOW79-1.jpg

Jeff, you rock, dude!!

Thanks so much. I couldn't stand lookin' at those anymore. You saved me a mess of time, buddy! What a relief!!!

In order to exclude a seller from a search, click on Advanced Search, scroll down until you see this

excludeseller.jpg

Select the check box, then choose 'exclude' from the drop down menu and then you can type in the screenames of the seller you wish to exclude.

Make sure you save the search so you don't have to do this every time.

... because I just received this book off ebay, and it cost me - wait for it - 99 cents.

Guys, what the hell is going on? It's glossier that Telly Savales' head, and even with the dings on the spine, I'd accept this as a VF.

OFF82.jpg

If/Whenever you wanna sell that book, lemme know, Shep. What a steal!!!! I love those Grandenetti issues. I started out being ambivalent about them like Jeff, but the Grandenetti Gunner & Sarges are actually some great stories.

Glad you like the books, Fay, and yeah, I believe that Sergeant looks quite a bit like Rock. Enjoy your purchases! (thumbs u

Andy

I thought I was looking at Rock until I saw AAMOW title! Great covers on both of those issues!!!

Glad you like the books, Fay, and yeah, I believe that Sergeant looks quite a bit like Rock. Enjoy your purchases! (thumbs u

Andy

I thought I was looking at Rock until I saw AAMOW title! Great covers on both of those issues!!!

I always thought that this was a pre-Rock prototype-type thing cover, until it was pointed out to me that this issue came out after OAAW #83.

But yeah, it really looks like Rock. I wonder if Kubert recycled an old sketch or cover to meet a deadline?

Shep

... because I just received this book off ebay, and it cost me - wait for it - 99 cents.

Guys, what the hell is going on? It's glossier that Telly Savales' head, and even with the dings on the spine, I'd accept this as a VF.

OFF82.jpg

If/Whenever you wanna sell that book, lemme know, Shep. What a steal!!!! I love those Grandenetti issues. I started out being ambivalent about them like Jeff, but the Grandenetti Gunner & Sarges are actually some great stories.

Hey Mick, thanks for the kudos on the pickup. It certainly balances out some of the downers I've gotten off ebay over the years.

I grew up reading Grandenetti backup stories in the late 70s, and HATED THEM. Wasn't until I started seeing the silver age covers that I started digging him. I love the Gunner and Sarge stories for what they are... effortless bratta-tatta-tat fluff. :cloud9: