• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Shep,

Beautiful books. You just added OAaW 167 to my list. Love that cover thumbsup2.gif

Keep em coming thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Thanks man... A lot of these books I picked up in San Diego in 2002. Got about 25 really nice VFs from two different dealers. Haven't seen as many nice silver age war books in one place since then!

I'll try and scan and post some more over the weekend.

Shep

Kag, I just posted a laudatory post on the 'Please Grade' thread in this book's honour.

Now, tell us the story behind how you came to get this wonderful book. If you've got a source that you want to keep to yourself, that is totally cool... but I'd love to get some background.

Sweet as sugar, man.

Shep

Kag, I just posted a laudatory post on the 'Please Grade' thread in this book's honour.

Now, tell us the story behind how you came to get this wonderful book. If you've got a source that you want to keep to yourself, that is totally cool... but I'd love to get some background.

Sweet as sugar, man.

Shep

Thanks Shep. Not much of a story for me to tell, but here it is. I got into war books with both feet when I purchased my G.I.Combat 68 a while back. I decided then that I wanted to get nice clean copies of OAaW 81-83. I found a nice 82 right away and jumped on it. Now there have long since been many copies of #81 at Metropolis (the best of which, CGC 8.5, I was the underbidder on ebay-It's now about $2500 more than it went for that day) So I decided I would wait on the 81 and look for a nice 83.

I told a friend of mine I was looking, so if he came across one to let me know. I continued to look. I saw one nice looking copy on SoCal Comics (CGC 4.5) I didn't really have the money at that exact time, but I kept checking the site every few days to see if it was still there. A month later I looked for it and it was gone. I now was upset with myself that I didn't just pull the trigger and charge it. Since then the only copies I've seen are a couple low grade copies with poor scans on ebay that I didn't want to take a chance on. Then one day that friend of mine told me he found one. I had NO MONEY as I was knee deep in replacing the asbestos roof on my 200 + year old house (still not done now, but getting close) So I went through my collection and picked a bunch of books that I was willing to part with and took a drive to see him and traded them for the 83. The books I traded had some value, but all of them can be replaced. I knew I would kick myself if I didn't find a way to get it. I've continued to look for #83 since I got mine, not to purchase another, but just out of curiousity, and I have seen zero, I'm very happy with the decision to make this one happen.

As for who the "source" is. I would not say he deals in very many war books, but he's a great guy and he came through for me on this one and his name is Ted Vanliew, better known as Superworld Comics. It will be a (long)while, but now I have to start saving for a #81.

Thanks again for the kind words and for confirming that I'm not crazy!

-Mike

While we're at it, let's run down a few other 'important' OAAWs.

Myself, I don't get all wiggy about the prototypes. So here are the most important issues and appearances, Rock-wise. (I'm doing this from memory, so if I get something wrong, don't sue me!)

#81 - Last prototpye

#82 - Sgt. Rock Panel appearance.

#83 - First True Sgt. Rock by Kubert and Kanigher.

#88 - First Sgt. Rock Cover

#91 - First Full-length Sgt. Rock story

#112 - Brady Bunch Cover

#113 - First Jackie Johnson, the first evenly-portrayed African American character in comics.

#124 - First Sgt. Rock Greytone cover, by Kubert.

#125 - First Sgt. Rock story drawn by Russ Heath

#126 - Second and last greytone cover, by Russ Heath.

#128 - Origin of Sgt. Rock

#151 - First Enemy Ace, in backup story.

#153 - Second Enemy Ace, in backup story.

#155 - Third Enemy Ace, in backup story.

#158 - First appearance of Sgt Rock's nemesis, the Iron Major

#196 - Kubert's great anti-war statement begins, as Sgt. Rock has a breakdown. This book marks the end of the Silver age for this title and character.

Other notable Rock issues.

Brave and Bold #53 - First DC war character team up, with Haunted Tank and Johnny Cloud.

G.I. Combat #108 - First DC war crossover, as Sgt. Rock and Easy appear with the Haunted Tank

Showcase #45 - More origin storytelling of Sgt. Rock. Classic Russ Heath cover.

--------------------

Shep, I just read this in the marketplace.

Awsome info.

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

I just cut and pasted it into an email and sent it to myself so I can save it. Thanks for posting it.

Sweet as sugar, man.

Shep

Thanks Shep. Not much of a story for me to tell, but here it is. I got into war books with both feet when I purchased my G.I.Combat 68 a while back. I decided then that I wanted to get nice clean copies of OAaW 81-83. I found a nice 82 right away and jumped on it. Now there have long since been many copies of #81 at Metropolis (the best of which, CGC 8.5, I was the underbidder on ebay-It's now about $2500 more than it went for that day) So I decided I would wait on the 81 and look for a nice 83.

I told a friend of mine I was looking, so if he came across one to let me know. I continued to look. I saw one nice looking copy on SoCal Comics (CGC 4.5) I didn't really have the money at that exact time, but I kept checking the site every few days to see if it was still there. A month later I looked for it and it was gone. I now was upset with myself that I didn't just pull the trigger and charge it. Since then the only copies I've seen are a couple low grade copies with poor scans on ebay that I didn't want to take a chance on. Then one day that friend of mine told me he found one. I had NO MONEY as I was knee deep in replacing the asbestos roof on my 200 + year old house (still not done now, but getting close) So I went through my collection and picked a bunch of books that I was willing to part with and took a drive to see him and traded them for the 83. The books I traded had some value, but all of them can be replaced. I knew I would kick myself if I didn't find a way to get it. I've continued to look for #83 since I got mine, not to purchase another, but just out of curiousity, and I have seen zero, I'm very happy with the decision to make this one happen.

As for who the "source" is. I would not say he deals in very many war books, but he's a great guy and he came through for me on this one and his name is Ted Vanliew, better known as Superworld Comics. It will be a (long)while, but now I have to start saving for a #81.

-Mike

That's a tale of a serious collector! The kinda effort and the kinda deals you have to make when you want some of the really fun books! Glad it worked out for you.

Sweet as sugar, man.

Shep

-Mike

My oh my oh my!!!! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

NICE BOOK!!!!

You should feel great about picking that book up, as you're right, you will not find another one in a long long time (if ever at all). The source, Ted from Superworld, is a gem of a dealer. I've only met him once, face to face, but knew right then and there that this guy is super. I've dealt with him through his website as well, and I don't know if you'll ever meet a nicer comic book dealer.

Good for you, Mike!yay.gif

Andy

CombatTagSplash.jpg

Okay, not a cover but it could be. This is a smokin' John Severin splash from GI Combat 55. Who here wouldn't love to own the original?

Me, pick me! yay.gif

It would go very nicely with pages 2 - 6 that I own.

Me, pick me! yay.gif

It would go very nicely with pages 2 - 6 that I own.

Please tell me you're kidding because otherwise my head will explode.

Pieces of exploding brain are so messy to clean up so I'd suggest you get a couple sponges and a bucket of Spic-n-Span ready.

CombatTagp6small.jpg

Sorry for posting this in the wrong forum. sorry.gif