• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
18 18

11,081 posts in this topic

Heya Fellers,

That GIC 89 looked nice. I have waited years to find a nice copy, but somehow missed that one on ebay. Congrats on that. I've always loved that Heath splash and story that was a reinterpretation (or visa versa--does anybody know which came first?) of the GIC 88.

<p>

gic88.jpg

Speaking of GIC88, I was thumbing through it, and of course, the Heath art on HT Vs. Ghost Tank was brilliant as ever. Most of us have probably seen the Heath in reprint form dozens of times in one way or another, but the Grandenetti has never been reprinted to my knowledge. So it was a particularly welcome surprise. It's been some time since I've broken it out. It took me years to appreciate Grandenetti's interiors. Not much of a stretch to recognize the classic washtones he did, but then I started to dig some of his regular line-drawn covers, and then it was a slippery slide into being an interior Grandenetti line-work junkie. I think it was always good, but it seemed to get better and better as he approached the late 50s/early 60s. Not an expert at calling out the specifics, but I'm gonna take a crack at it here on an interior page.

<p>

gic88grand.jpg

<p>

Check out his inks on the drapery/clothing. It's heavy on the blacks WITHIN the forms of the clothing but the outside lines of the figures have a distinctly curvilinear quality and it somehow gives the characters a rugged look while giving them the appearance of constantly being in motion. Look at the arched shoulders and backs. That's quintessential Grandenetti right there.

<p>Check out his cover to OAAW 92.

<p>

oaaw92.jpg

<p>That cover always blew me away because it had a hugely Kurtzmanesque feel to it. But toward the end of Grandenetti's tenure with DC, he was growing more and more experimental. There was an economy of line that tended to elongate figures with these exagerated curves. Highly expressive stuff. Give me a late Grandenetti any day of the week. Does anybody know of any Grandenetti interior original art in existence from that time period?

Hey Mick,

Those are aweosome copies... especially the GIC #88. NICE!

I grew up HATING Grandenetti, because all the art I ever saw of his was the stuff he did in the late 1970s in the backup stories in G.I. Combat and All Our War.... and his stuff was totally off the boil by then.

So imagine my surprise when I discovered all of his amazing covers. And you're right about the interior art, especially the early issues of Gunner and Sarge. As for any of his original art still existing, not sure... certainly there's a stash of it somewhere.

Great having you on these boards my man. Now, make everybody weep - and show us your GI Combat #87!!

Take care,

Shep

That Battle 70 is such a nice book inside and out. It's just overflowing with Kirby.

Speaking of Kirby Atlas war. . .

battle67.jpg

And since I posted these over at the washtone site, I might as well put 'em here, too.

battle45.jpg

battlefront33.jpg

I was mentioning that if they're NOT washtones, then Burgos did a hell of job drawing little itty-bitty lines to give them the appearance of washtones. He did a number of cool covers like these.

And while we're on the topic of washtones, here's my favorite (wait, IS it my favorite? I tend to switch to different favorites. . .GIC 76, GIC 104, GIC 87, OFF 71, but this one ALWAYS is in my top 3 no matter which way the wind's blowing).

gic78.jpg

It actually is the FIRST war washtone I ever saw, too. I remember seeing it on the wall behind the counter at a local comics store back in the late 80s.

It was shocking particularly because it had a DC bullet on it. I couldn't bring myself to believe that it had a DC bullet on it. . .my impression of DC at the time was limited to the typical line-drawn Superman, Batman, or other superhero comics at the time. That impression was forever altered. This was a couple years before Comic Book Marketplace, so I had LOTS of wonderful discoveries ahead. Anyway, I had to ask the guy behind the counter to take the book down so I could see it more closely. It was stunning. . .

The DC war comics bug injected its virus and there was no going back.

My first contribution to this thread:

Battle708.jpg

Sweet looking book, Watcher! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I love those early Atlas war books.

Andy

Thanks, Andy. I'm trying to complete the Kirby/Ditko run of 63-70. Since starting this run, I've come to really appreciate these war comics. Some fantastic art on the covers and inside.

Angelo

That Battle 70 is such a nice book inside and out. It's just overflowing with Kirby.

Speaking of Kirby Atlas war. . .

battle67.jpg

And since I posted these over at the washtone site, I might as well put 'em here, too.

battle45.jpg

battlefront33.jpg

I was mentioning that if they're NOT washtones, then Burgos did a hell of job drawing little itty-bitty lines to give them the appearance of washtones. He did a number of cool covers like these.

Burgos really used the cross-hatching technique to good effect on those covers. And that Kirby cover is great, too.

Angelo

And while we're on the topic of washtones, here's my favorite (wait, IS it my favorite? I tend to switch to different favorites. . .GIC 76, GIC 104, GIC 87, OFF 71, but this one ALWAYS is in my top 3 no matter which way the wind's blowing).

gic78.jpg

It actually is the FIRST war washtone I ever saw, too. I remember seeing it on the wall behind the counter at a local comics store back in the late 80s.

It was shocking particularly because it had a DC bullet on it. I couldn't bring myself to believe that it had a DC bullet on it. . .my impression of DC at the time was limited to the typical line-drawn Superman, Batman, or other superhero comics at the time. That impression was forever altered. This was a couple years before Comic Book Marketplace, so I had LOTS of wonderful discoveries ahead. Anyway, I had to ask the guy behind the counter to take the book down so I could see it more closely. It was stunning. . .

The DC war comics bug injected its virus and there was no going back.

Nice Battles and GI Combat washtone, Mick!!!

It's your kind of enthusiam and ours that keeps these pics comin and keeps us folks comin back.

Good work! thumbsup2.gif

Andy

ALmost as good as the Bill Battle 3. . .but nothing beats, "Die, You Commie Rats, Die!!"

Along the lines of outrageous covers, the Atlas horror cover that depicts a guy turning into a monstrous turd is among my personal favs. I've fondly bestowed upon it this catchy little moniker: "The Pile of *spoon*" cover. And as I recall, you sir, have the prettiest "Pile of *spoon*" cover in existence.

ALmost as good as the Bill Battle 3. . .but nothing beats, "Die, You Commie Rats, Die!!"

Along the lines of outrageous covers, the Atlas horror cover that depicts a guy turning into a monstrous turd is among my personal favs. I've fondly bestowed upon it this catchy little moniker: "The Pile of *spoon*" cover. And as I recall, you sir, have the prettiest "Pile of *spoon*" cover in existence.

Sadly no. It's original owner has not unwilling to part with it. frustrated.gif

Awww, man they censored me!!! Spoon doesn't exactly have the resonance nor imagery of what I was going for. . .rhymes with split.

Spoon is the substitute word that they've set up for the chat board.

You'll see it appear about every 3rd word if you type like you talk. poke2.gif

I *spoon* appreciate *spoon* the *spoon* sentiment *spoon* behind *spoon* that. . .*spoon* I *spoon* am *spoon* disappointed *spoon* however *spoon* that *spoon* you *spoon* only *spoon* thought *spoon* it'd *spoon* be *spoon* every *spoon* 3rd *spoon* word *spoon* and *spoon* not *spoon* every *spoon* other.