• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Outstanding copies!!!! All from the same collection? Man, that is one of the nicest runs, and it looks like you got some beautiful copies.

Tell us the whole story. I love knowing how these collections come up.

That just made my whole day. Thanks!

Shep cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

The whole story?

I was searching ebay one day for OAAW comics. I cam across one guy selling what he described as a high grade lot of OAAW books. Naturally, the pic was small but the books looked really nice. By chance I noticed that he was from Waterbury CT. That's about 20 minutes away from me. I emailed him asking if I could see the books. He agreed and we set up a time to meet. Unfortunately, due to some communication problems we didn't meet up before the lot ended. I decided to bid anyway and placed a last minute (actually placed the bid with about 6 seconds left) and was immediately outbid. I was pissed because I should have placed a higher bid. I took a chance and emailed him asking if had anymore OAAW books. He did and this time we did meet up. I bought the 12 higher number books first and then arranged to grab about 20 more of the higher grade books.

There were more but they were lower to mid grade books and ended up going to another collector. I'm certainly not complaining because i got some really nice books. Most if not all of them are at least 7.5. I wasn't about to let this opportunity pass me by. Got a pretty good deal for all of them too.

The seller is actually acting on behalf of the original owner and selling off this collection bit by bit. I really don't know much about the Diamond Run Collection but there must be some info online somewhere. I know CGC has slabbed some books for this collection with the "Diamond Run" notation on the label.

The whole story?

I was searching ebay one day for OAAW comics. I cam across one guy selling what he described as a high grade lot of OAAW books. Naturally, the pic was small but the books looked really nice. By chance I noticed that he was from Waterbury CT. That's about 20 minutes away from me. I emailed him asking if I could see the books. He agreed and we set up a time to meet. Unfortunately, due to some communication problems we didn't meet up before the lot ended. I decided to bid anyway and placed a last minute (actually placed the bid with about 6 seconds left) and was immediately outbid. I was pissed because I should have placed a higher bid. I took a chance and emailed him asking if had anymore OAAW books. He did and this time we did meet up. I bought the 12 higher number books first and then arranged to grab about 20 more of the higher grade books.

There were more but they were lower to mid grade books and ended up going to another collector. I'm certainly not complaining because i got some really nice books. Most if not all of them are at least 7.5. I wasn't about to let this opportunity pass me by. Got a pretty good deal for all of them too.

The seller is actually acting on behalf of the original owner and selling off this collection bit by bit. I really don't know much about the Diamond Run Collection but there must be some info online somewhere. I know CGC has slabbed some books for this collection with the "Diamond Run" notation on the label.

Great story! Always nice to hear that those books are still out there.

And 7.5? Many look nicer than that, but either way that's a super nice grade to have these in, especially since they are so uniform in grade.

Perhaps the nicest all-together find of SA OAAW I've seen in the past 6 years!

Nice!

Shep

And 7.5? Many look nicer than that, but either way that's a super nice grade to have these in, especially since they are so uniform in grade.

Well, at least 7.5. Many are indeed better than that. Several are definitely in the 8.5/9.0/9.2 range. The higher number books (161-172) are in higher grade overall but some of those from 110-125 are superb as well. It's a DC war collectors dream smile.gif

The 112 is a personal (minor) grail for me. I've wanted a copy of that since seeing it in the America at War book way back in the 70's. Now, to find a higher grade copy. crazy.gif

Perhaps the nicest all-together find of SA OAAW I've seen in the past 6 years!

Nice!

Shep

Thanks! I feel very fortunate to have gotten these. As I said, I may never see a run like this again.

By the way, the run was mssing both 81 and 83, naturally. They may turn up at some point but will probably be VG at best if they do. I grabbed the 91 because it's a key issue of sorts even though it's a lower grade copy.

By the way, the run was mssing both 81 and 83, naturally. They may turn up at some point but will probably be VG at best if they do. I grabbed the 91 because it's a key issue of sorts even though it's a lower grade copy.

How far back did the run go? Some of my very favorite issues from this title are the pre-#81 books. Here are a few of my faves (all, ridiculously hard to find in grade).

oaaw56.jpg

oaaw79.jpg

oaaw80.jpg

Nice, nice books. Something weird about pre-81 OAAW books. Usually don't see huge amounts of them floating around, even the lower grades. confused-smiley-013.gif

Unlike other series like OFF. I know that series was started later but they seem to show up more often.

By the way Shep, there's a low grade (naturally) OAAW 40 on ebay now.

How far back did the run go? Some of my very favorite issues from this title are the pre-#81 books. Here are a few of my faves (all, ridiculously hard to find in grade).

I think it went back to a few issues in the 70's, but none lower than that. Those were VG at best

Nice, nice books. Something weird about pre-81 OAAW books. Usually don't see huge amounts of them floating around, even the lower grades. confused-smiley-013.gif

Unlike other series like OFF. I know that series was started later but they seem to show up more often.

By the way Shep, there's a low grade (naturally) OAAW 40 on ebay now.

I think it went back to a few issues in the 70's, but none lower than that. Those were VG at best

Thanks for the heads up on the #40. First one I've seen in ages. I may take a lowball stab at it!

Appreciate the nod!

Shep

Here's a few new books that I've picked up. Nothing fancy, but I'm happy to show them. thumbsup2.gif

G. I. Combat #62-Cool cover, one that I hadn't seen before.

GIC62fc.jpg

Our Army At War #19-Nothing super special about this issue, I just found it quite difficult to pick up. This particular one is a brittle as peanut brittle. 893whatthe.gif

OAAW19fc.jpg

Our Army At War #60-What a great cover!!! Another washtone beauty!!

OAAW60fc.jpg

Our Fighting Forces #9-Don't know what it is about this particular issue, but I always seem to get them in collections that I purchase. Probably the most common early OFF out there. Super cover, though.

OFF9fc.jpg

Star Spangled War Stories #22-I love this cover by Grandenetti, what a neat cartoony style. I really feel drawn to it for some reason.

SSWS22fc.jpg

Star Spangled War Stories #45-Another great Grandenetti cover...listed as the first washtone. Crappy shape, mind you, but a copy nonetheless.

SSWS45fc.jpg

I wish they were all as high-grade as the books that've been posted lately, but they still make me happy....and to me, that's all that matters. cloud9.gif

Andy

Hey Andy,

Nice copy of the GIC 62. That holds the record for the war book with the coolest smattering of GENIOUS artists--or perhaps it'd be more accurate to portray them as MY personal blue-ribbon stable. First there's the nice Grandenetti cover. Then you have the interior with Kubert, Drucker, and no less than 2 Heath stories. There isn't a finer example of a war book that represents the nuclear artists who did work across the 5 titles. Usually, there'd be an Abel or Andru/Esposito story mixed in with the nice Kubert or Heath or Drucker, but this one had it all. To be fair, I liked a couple of Abel's stories and quite a few Andru/Espositos, but they just didn't seem to have the same emotional resonance that Kubert, Heath, Drucker, Severin, or later-period Grandenetti could deliver in a DC war book.

That is one of my all time favorite comics of all time. I scored my VF- copy of it nearly 20 years ago when I was a sophomore in college. It came from Phil Levine and it didn't have a backing board so it was kinda rolled into my po box in the dorm. Luckily it didn't seem to harm it. Never have been able to upgrade it. I think Harley had a nice copy of it among a war collection from many years ago, but it had excessive tanning on the inside as 90% of them did.

Thanks guys! I'm very happy to add them to my collection. Washtones are soooo great to look at, you can get lost in there.

Cool story about your GIC 62, Mick. I only wish I had started collecting these books before I did. makepoint.gif Some relatively easy to acquire books became tough to get, and the tough ones got even tougher.

And that is a beautiful GIC 53, Jeffro! Nice pick up!! thumbsup2.gif

Andy

Here's a few more for y'all to look at...enjoy! thumbsup2.gif

Our Army At War #39-A very cool, suspense-filled cover. 893whatthe.gif I certainly wouldn't wanna be that guy.

OAAW39fc.jpg

Our Army At War #24-Great cover by Irv Novick! Reminds me of the phsychodelic stuff that M.C. Escher drew. Just a neat point of view. smile.gif

OAAW24fc.jpg

G. I. Combat #77-An eBayer gave this book to me as a bonus. My God are those G. I. Combat washtones ever so captivating!!! cloud9.gifAnother Grandenetti beauty!

GIC77fc.jpg

All American Men Of War #82-Kanigher brings us the first appearance of Johnny Cloud, beautifully drawn by Irv Novick. An undervalued comic, for sure. gossip.gif

AAMOW82fc.jpg

All American Men Of War #12-Slick cover drawn by Jerry Grandenetti. It looks like this guy has a lose/lose situation ahead of him. Decent shape on this one, I was quite pleased to be able to purchase it. yay.gif

AAMOW12fc.jpg

That's all for now, folks... hi.gif

Andy