• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

NIce to see so many great war books posted in the past week or so!

AAMOW33.jpg

AAMOW33.jpg

Whoa!!! 893whatthe.gif I wanted to post this book as well...now I'm glad I didn't. hail.gif

Beautiful copy!

Andy

Whoa!!! 893whatthe.gif I wanted to post this book as well...now I'm glad I didn't. hail.gif

Beautiful copy!

Andy

Indeed. Yet another cover I'd never seen, until now. Another one added to the list.

Oh wait, they're all on the list 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Beautiful copy!

Andy

Thanks! It's a Newsboy. Maybe we can persuade comick1 to share one or two of his.

Oh, and feel free to post any and all books whether they are duplicates or not. Comics -- they're all good. cloud9.gif

Here's another Newsboy:

AAMOW39.jpg ]

Here's another Newsboy:

Gahhh!!!!! 893whatthe.gif

Andy

And another couple.

OFF18.jpg

OFF21.jpg

"Thanks! It's a Newsboy. Maybe we can persuade comick1 to share one or two of his."

Newsboy-Shmoozeboy. I scored this non-pedigree at least 12 years ago from Big-5 collector and all-around nice guy, Carlo Sanchez outta San Bernardino. I stayed awake on the drive home strictly on adrenalin.

gic76.jpg

I'll come up with a couple more.

Mick

Heya Fellers,

That GIC 89 looked nice. I have waited years to find a nice copy, but somehow missed that one on ebay. Congrats on that. I've always loved that Heath splash and story that was a reinterpretation (or visa versa--does anybody know which came first?) of the GIC 88.

<p>

gic88.jpg

<p>

gic88grand.jpg

<p>

<p>Check out his cover to OAAW 92.

<p>

oaaw92.jpg

WOW!!! There's some awesome war books. It's great to see SA war books back on page 1 again.

Keep posting some of those incredible war covers and thanks for sharing. hail.gif

Are those "Larson" copies? I noticed the "L" on the cover and remember reading about this collection some years ago. Those are really stunning. Do you have any more? drooooool.... (oh, pardon me).

Bill

Glad you liked them. I probably have a few more lying around somewhere.

Larson copies never have just an "L" distributor code. It's a common misconcpetion so you're not alone. Also, the Larson copies were published in 1941 or earlier.

This L is typical of the Newsboy collection from whence these 4 copies came, though not all of them have them code.

Edited by adamstrange

"Thanks! It's a Newsboy. Maybe we can persuade comick1 to share one or two of his."

Newsboy-Shmoozeboy. I scored this non-pedigree at least 12 years ago from Big-5 collector and all-around nice guy, Carlo Sanchez outta San Bernardino. I stayed awake on the drive home strictly on adrenalin.

gic76.jpg

Mick

I guess that'll do if you aren't going to post a Newsboy. tongue.gif

What a 893censored-thumb.gif great cover!

Here are a couple samples from different runs that haven't shown up too much on the boards. I posted most of these on the "Show us your 10¢er board", but there're some nice westerns that didn't make it here but you can see on the other board.

aamow88.jpg

aamow94.jpg

cc6.jpg

gic76.jpg

gic83.jpg

gic92.jpg

Incidentally, that Grandenetti HT story on the inside of the GIC 92 is so damned good (haven't broken it open in awhile) that it actually might be better (gulp!) than some of the Heaths. If you think I'm crazy, check it out. It's ultra-slick Grandenetti at his *spoon*-kickin' finest!

man23.jpg

Always loved these two Kubert covers in particular.

oaaw99.jpg

Then there's the OOAW 99 Kubert story. Huhminah Huhminah Huhminah.

oaaw122.jpg

off65.jpg

Another great Grandenetti issue inside and out.

Those are simply outstanding books and that AAMOW #94 is a KILLER cover!!!

I only recently seen this book in a board members' WTB post and can't get it out

of my mind. I need one badly!!!! hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

By the way, the run was mssing both 81 and 83, naturally. They may turn up at some point but will probably be VG at best if they do. I grabbed the 91 because it's a key issue of sorts even though it's a lower grade copy.

How far back did the run go? Some of my very favorite issues from this title are the pre-#81 books. Here are a few of my faves (all, ridiculously hard to find in grade).

oaaw56.jpg

oaaw79.jpg

oaaw80.jpg

Nice books Shep. Love that # 56!! cloud9.gif

To any or all DC war collectors I was wondering if any of you have ever bought from an e-bay seller with the ID of "Brettscomics" and his grading looks okay with the scans a little small.

I asked once for larger scans of a couple of books and they weren't much bigger when they were e-mailed to me. His grading looks reasonable although his prices are fairly high and all 'buy it nows"

If any one has any information I would really appreciate it.

You can PM me if you feel this drivel doesn't belong this awesome thread of incredible books.

Thank you very much in advance,

Fay flowerred.gif

Fazybones said:

<<<Those are simply outstanding books and that AAMOW #94 is a KILLER cover!!!

I only recently seen this book in a board members' WTB post and can't get it out

of my mind. I need one badly!!!!>>>

I remember being thrilled that I scored that book. This was about 16 years ago when Sparkle City was folding and Jay whatsisname kinda disappeared into the ether because of some shady deals. Anyway, war had yet to hit it big and there were some truly stunning comics at the SC booth in SD. I scored beautiful copies of Green Lantern 8, GI Combat 96, AAMOW 100, Flash 131, the AAMOW 94 and a few others. I haven't really seen a nicer copy, but I'm finding it difficult to believe that it's that tough to find. It would seem that there'd be a Boston copy, but I'm not sure. Then again, those boxed 12¢ issues are ALL tough from EACH Big-5 title.

gic76.jpg

Mick

That is gorgeous, Mick! hail.gif Frickin' gorgeous!!!

Andy