• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
18 18

11,081 posts in this topic

On 1/28/2023 at 9:37 AM, 1950's war comics said:

notice the cave opening is shaped like a skull in this brilliantly conceived cover....

GetImage.aspx?c=2493024&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=MS8yOC8yMDIzIDk6MzU6MTAgQU0%3d

I love this cover! It was always one of my faves!! :applause: 

On 2/1/2023 at 7:32 AM, 1950's war comics said:

anyone care to guess what issue this is ?

note the the patient with a cigarette in his mouth !!

GetImage.aspx?c=2531369&t=Full&f=Rev&cb=Mi8xLzIwMjMgNzoyNzoxNSBBTQ%3d%3d

Wouldn’t have a clue. Lol 😂 

Circling back on this year’s War Report and the fantastic work done by the guys behind it! Great to see All American Men of War 67 place above Our Fighting Forces 45 this year. No doubt the first appearance of Gunner and Sarge place higher than they’re kicking off the classic run in Our Fighting Forces 45. All American Men of War 67’s “Grand” cover is also a classic. This now brings me to another classic for the All-American Men of War run, which is Johnny Cloud’s first appearance. As we all know, All American Men of War 82 is the first appearance of DC’s and the Silver Age’s first Native-American War Hero that also has a great Novick cover. Let’s not forget that Novick did great stuff back then. The contributions made by Native Americans for America during WW2 cannot be underscored. Johnny Cloud is a hero in comic books that reminds comic book readers of this. The “Chief” continues to play a key role throughout the DC’s Silver Age Big 5 and later becomes part of the Losers with G.I. Combat 138 that’s followed by the classic run beginning with Our Fighting Forces 123. The first appearance of the Losers is a very, very late SA war key (1969) that has been overlooked and the role of a Native-American war hero as part of the team is historic for not only DC Comics, but the entire medium. G.I. Combat 138 is also significant because it leads to one of the first Bronze Age war key books and it’s official that the Losers will become a Bronze Age team war book. Like Marie, the “Navajo Ace” reminds us of the many different people who contributed so much to the war effort. I’m a huge fan of the Rock and recognize the importance of many of the earlier books that followed OAAW 83, but the first appearance of a character like Johnny Cloud requires a higher place in the War Report’s top 50 war books. More to come…