• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Water stains

20 posts in this topic

.....how many grade points would you guys knock of for a water stain.?

.....and would it fall down less if it was only on the back cover..........

.....this guy is screaming blue murder over the grade cgc gave his ASM #3....... shocked.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=722041883&rd=1

...it does have a nasty water stain on the top right corner of the back cover, which is presumably resposable for the low cgc grade.............i have to agree with the seller that other wise the book looks like a VF.................

I hate water stains and would not knowingly purchase a book with them. Also if you look closely there is a crease on the front and back cover along the top edge of the book like something heavy fell on it denting the whole book.

The grade looks right on to me. But what do I know. confused.gif

the guy is complaining because his stained book didn't get a VF grade? I don't know what CGC's policy on staining is (and no one but CGC does,) but Overstreet clearly states that only "slight, staple rust migration" is allowed in the VF grade. Other staining is only allowed in grades FN and below. So it looks to me like CGC was spot-on and this guy needs to look at the grading guide again.

If I remeber correctly you are not allowed stains in VF according to Overstreet Guide. Here are a few things that I saw in the scans.

-cover is not centered.

-top corner is slightly rounded

-some small stress creases to spine

-stain on bc

-appears to be a crease on top of the bc (unsure as I can't totally see it in the scan)

This is a great copy and very nice! A great copy since it does not have Marvel Chipping!

If I remeber correctly you are not allowed stains in VF according to Overstreet Guide.

Yes. Like I said, no staining other than "Slight staple rust migration" is allowed in VF. Minor staining that doesn't detract from the overall appearance of the book is allowed in FINE. so I don't know what this guy's beef with the grade is.

That's nothing compared to my ASM #3. CGC gave me a 5.5 on it, and it has no stains, no creases, is flat & clean & I pre-graded a conservative 7.0. I'm still trying to post scans (detailed) on here to show the forums what I've received, but can't figure it out. confused.gif I'm so upset with this bogus grade (and dozens of others) that I'm going to crack it out, read it, and put it back in my collection where I should have left it in the first place. mad.gif

Supa, no, I gave up on calling them, because it's a waste of time. The answers are always just enough to leave you puzzeled, and you hang up wondering "man, I should have asked them more questions, I don't see how what they said could have dropped my grade..." They sent me grading notes once, but they say they're too busy & call them from now on, something like that. Guess it's difficult to type in the 3 or 4 defects on this one. I like written correspondence on stuff like this, gives me time to review the defects while looking at the grading notes. laugh.gif

I like the containers for protection, but am holding the rest of my high grade collection for another firm to grade/slab my books. grin.gif CGC has blew it with me on way too many occasions for me to continue to use their services. mad.gif I had over 1,000 other silver age keys (most ultra high grade) in several boxes that I was going to submit pending how they handle my most recent requests for simple e-mails (grading notes), etc. on my recent grading (horror) experience and I decided put them back in storage (my wherehouse space) to rest in peace with all the others for another decade if necessary. grin.gif

By the way Supa, like the new pic, looks like a great place to come & have a drink! laugh.gif The wife & I are headed up to the Raiders/Patriots game soon & we'd love to hit that place & have one of your specials! grin.gif

That's not Supa's workplace! That's his bedroom, complete with all the "liquid assets of home" laugh.gif Most bartenders can drink us all under the table and into a shallow grave before they'd even get woozy!!!!