• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange Tales Annual 2 9.4 wow..

Will this Strange Tales Annual 2 sell?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Will this Strange Tales Annual 2 sell?

46 posts in this topic

I have not come across any collectors that consider this book a key.

Why would F.F. # 12 be considered a Key? Just cause its the first Hulk/Marvel cross-over? Exactly. Same deal here. 4th Spidey appearance ever and first X-Over makes it a significant book in my mind. Add to that the extreme difficulty of finding the early Marvel squarebounds in ultra-high grade AND with White pages. And lastly, its a Kirby cover, which is the icing on the cake. If I was a Spidey collector, I could see parting with $4,000 for this book, easily.

I'm willing to bet it doesn't go without at least a couple of bids. The deep-pocket guys love this sort of stuff.

Actually, both Strange Tales Annual 1 and Millie the Model Annual 1 came out in '62, whereas FF Annual 1 came out in '63. STA 2 came out in 7/63, but I'm not sure of the exact date for FF Annual 1.

Strange Tales 1 wasn't squarebound was it? I've never seen that Millie the Model issue. I pointed out the FF as squarebound because ST Annual 2 is squarebound, and if FF Annual 1 is the first squarebound, it came out before ST Annual 2.

I'm not sure of this but I think FF Annual 1 came out in June 1963; I'll see if I can verify it. I didn't realize ST Annual 2 came out in July until you just said it.

Sorry Vince, but you're off your rocker on this one. Silver Marvels don't come much tougher than this one, and the fact that this is a 9.4 w/WHITE pages is incredible. And it's a key.

I don't believe it's a key, at least not in the terms the speculator/investment crowd identifies with. And I didn't just fall off the turnip truck, and know all about how hard these early square-bounds are in high-grade, but I believe the market has been evolving, and that it's more difficult to get these kinds of prices right now.

The vast majority of the "mad spec/investment money" has been flowing to prominent first appearances, and I don't expect that to end in the foreseeable future. The book may sell to some high-roller, but I seriously doubt it'll hit the $6K you wags are promoting, and it won't be a madhouse bidding war.

I also expect to see all you guys in there bidding, since it's such a "super deal". 893blahblah.gif

Strange Tales Ann 1 is definitely squarebound - but all reprints of Marvel monsters and a cover that just reprints the old book covers - no original art. It is the 1st marvel annual. But either FF ANN 1 or Strange Tales Ann 2 is the first Marvel superhero annual - and the first with original/new work. And i almost agree with Joe on this one for pricing - I think it will sell but maybe $4500 tops with a shoot out with 4 or 5 bidders at the last minute.

I've never seen that Millie the Model issue.

Here ya go...take a close look, b/c you NEVER see this book available for sale. Well, maybe not never, but it is without a doubt scarcer than any of the other early Marvel squarebounds. The interior is chock full of cutouts, games, etc.,. so forget about finding a high grade copy...

millie1.jpg

FF & banner, im so dissapointed in the both of you! 893naughty-thumb.gifmakepoint.gifwhat kind of rookie questions were those? STT annual 1 is it a squarebound? STT annual 2 first marvel superhero annual? if you guys were in front of my face right now, i'd pimp slap you both. 893whatthe.gifstooges.gifgossip.gif

Blowout, I don't know who you're "asking" about this book but it must be the wrong people. 4th Spider-man appearance, first cross-over..it's easily on par or above the first X-men cross-over (ToS 49), and the first FF cross-over (ASM 1?)

Brian

but AK what makes you say the book is a key?

For all the things Murph said. Granted, I don't consider it a "Major Key" But it's still a key. I consider a Key to be a book that has some sort of prominence and distinction, and this one has that. Such an early Spidey appearance is nothing to scoff at. Also, I do believe it's the first Superhero Annual.

but I seriously doubt it'll hit the $6K you wags are promoting, and it won't be a madhouse bidding war.

This whole 6K thing has been misquoted. If you look, I said I could see this book having a 6K price tag on a dealer's site or comiclink, not that it would hit 6K.

This whole 6 thousand dollar thing has been misquoted. If you look, I said that I could see......

In my short time posting here, I see many misquotes. On the question of Daniel Dupcaks "mug shots", everyone's favorite bad guy, Metropolis said, "It's been many years, but it seems to be him". From that technically indecisive statement, others have taken that to mean, "That is definitely him". Although that is not what Metropolis stated.

I see much of this on all subjects on this Forum and that is why I will take what I read on this Forum with a grain of salt.

Gerald

In my short time posting here, I see many misquotes. On the question of Daniel Dupcaks "mug shots", everyone's favorite bad guy, Metropolis said, "It's been many years, but it seems to be him". From that technically indecisive statement, others have taken that to mean, "That is definitely him". Although that is not what Metropolis stated.

favourite bad guy? 893whatthe.gif please don't flatter yourself! 893naughty-thumb.gif so what you're saying is that hammer and dupcak ACTUALLY is the same person! nice try hammer...NEXT shill ID! makepoint.gif bye bye gerald, gerald? 893applaud-thumb.gifout of the 22 post that you've made so far, 2 of them made references to daniel dupcak. ARCH please remove blackshotzy! 893crossfingers-thumb.gifboo.gif attached is your mugshot! 27_laughing.gif

181095-dannyboy.jpg.29b3710688cedd2884ec74adb426e8a1.jpg

Blowout, I don't know who you're "asking" about this book but it must be the wrong people. 4th Spider-man appearance, first cross-over..it's easily on par or above the first X-men cross-over (ToS 49), and the first FF cross-over (ASM 1?)

I don't go around asking people about it, but scant few collectors recognise this book as a key.

Its the 4th appearance of Spidey - so what, a chracters 4th app is not a key.

Its the first cross over - no, that would be ASM #1

And if you think this book is easily on a par or above ASM #1, then good luck with picking up your list of 'key' books.

I don't consider this book a key, not even a minor one, and think it is overvalued. But hey, thats just my opinion.

Spider-man's first cross-over is in his own title? What are you smoking, it's his first cross-over to another book. That's what people talk about when they're talking about first cross-over, that characters first appearance in a title other than their own.

And again, you don't go around asking collectors..however somehow you just KNOW that scant few collector's view this as a key? Looks like there's at least 6 people on here think it's KEY enough to pay 4,000 dollars for..

Brian

It's a slight possibility but as I said to the guy asking about if his book is a MH..if it's that easily identifiable than CGC would be pretty hard pressed to miss that. I believe there's some other ways to test if it's a G.R. that they've come up with. I won't completely say it's not, but I'd say it's probable that it's not.

I e-mailed the seller and it turns out he HAS purchased comics from John Hauser and specifically from the Green River collection in the past although he didn't keep any detailed records of the purchases. I still think this is a Green River copy.

It looks just like my Amazing Spider-man Annual #1's.

There's no notation because the buyer didn't note it as such when he submitted it for slabbing.

I could probably get a detailed scan of the date stamp from him and compare it to some five dozen date stamps off my comics (or even from the same month.)

That might be a good idea actually. It stands to reason that comics sold in the same month would have similar date stamps.

That particular issue is the only 9.4 in grade and there's only one 9.6 above it.

Usually they'll pick it up if they can determine it to be a pedigree. I'd guess the only way to identify a G.R. is through the red date stamp and certification from John? I've heard CGC has designated pedigrees to books to people who had no idea they were pedigrees..

Brian