• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Off track again.....Any publishers looking for a penciller?

14 posts in this topic

Just was visiting my cousin and family today in Brooklyn. Her son is an AWESOME penciller. He showed me some of his work and is incredibily detailed. Is anyone looking for a talented kid? He gave my son one of his sketches....excellent.

Thanks,

Steve

What are the duties of an "in-house" penciler?

You have to work onsite on location at the Top Cow studios on whatever work they require of you is all that means. Work can be complete books, covers or whatever else they need.

Artboy99

What are the duties of an "in-house" penciler?

You have to work onsite on location at the Top Cow studios on whatever work they require of you is all that means. Work can be complete books, covers or whatever else they need.

Artboy99

Thanks for the info thumbsup2.gifArtboy99

Just was visiting my cousin and family today in Brooklyn. Her son is an AWESOME penciller. He showed me some of his work and is incredibily detailed. Is anyone looking for a talented kid? He gave my son one of his sketches....excellent.

Thanks,

Steve

Hey Steve,

Does he have a good grasp on the nuances of graphic storytelling? If he's only 16 or 17 now, he probably still has a lot to learn even if he's unnaturally good for his age.

If he's serious about doing comics professionally, someone should buy him Will Eisner's book "Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative" so that he has a firm grasp on the fundamentals of telling a story with pictures.

Link to the book at Amazon.

Frank Miller broke into comics when he was 19 (with Eisner as one of his primary influences, and with a lot of help from Neal Adams, who Miller met when he was trying to get a foot in the door anywhere he could). The quality of Miller's work improved by leaps and bounds over the course of his first few years (compare his work from Twilight Zone #84 and Weird War Tales #64 with his second and third year of Daredevil). Even if your cousin's son is really good at drawing detailed action shots, he probably still could benefit from a couple of years studying and practicing Eisner's teachings.

Another good thing to do would be to take the kid along with you to a couple of local conventions and have him show his portfolio to some professionals for some constructive feedback.

Thanks FFB, I will pass that info along. Also might try to get him to a show next time I attend one. He lives in Brooklyn so maybe the next Big Apple.

Blob, that isn't the only thing he draws, its the only thing he gave to my son to keep.

Steve