• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

*** Registry Suggestion ***

45 posts in this topic

Arch/Dena/Whomever:

Why not eliminate the points in registry? It really serves no purpose except to show who has spent more money on their collections. The way the current registry is set-up only the mainstream deep pocket collectors can enter their sets.

It would be a greater benefit if you could just enter your own custom set.

Examples:

A. Beyonder wants to create a set with his Signature Series books. He could name it and then enter however many books he wants to enter. He could add descriptions and/or scans.

B. Redhook wants to create a set of Green River Pedigree books. He could name it and then enter however many books he wants to enter. He could add descriptions and/or scans.

C. OldGuy wants to create a set of Sabretooth appearances. He could name it and then enter however many books he wants to enter. He could add descriptions and/or scans.

and so on. Currently, none of these scenarios is possible. And actually having more variety with regard to sets would it make it much more enjoyable. It would also be more creative and interesting.

Also, the registry awards would have a much more meaningful impact rather than just being based upon points. The more creative sets would be rewarded, not just those who have high grades. So a mid-grade set could beat a 9.8 set based upon content.

I really hope you look into this and not just ignore it. I'm sure there are plenty of other board members who would agree with me.

Now that is thinking outside of the box. I like it Rick.

Although I don't see the necessity of abandoning the point system totally....it would be nice to have the ability to "get creative".

Red

I just don't see what purpose the point system serves at least in it's current form. A comic is so much more than just the grade. As Beyonder often points out the QP on a lower graded book may make a better looking copy than a higher graded book.

On the current system a 9.8 cream page book has more points than 9.8 white page book. Is this the way it should be?

I just think the idea for the registry is drawn too much from the NGC template. It should reflect more of what comic collecting is about.

I guess I enjoy the point system for what it is...an imperfect measuring device.....for entertainment value only....

I mean.... how accurate is a system that rewards a Thor 132 9.6 with 450 big fat points? It sure isn't based on scarcity. smirk.gif

I just don't see what purpose the point system serves at least in it's current form. A comic is so much more than just the grade. As Beyonder often points out the QP on a lower graded book may make a better looking copy than a higher graded book.

On the current system a 9.8 cream page book has more points than 9.8 white page book. Is this the way it should be?

I just think the idea for the registry is drawn too much from the NGC template. It should reflect more of what comic collecting is about.

Those who don't care about points are free to disregard them, so I don't see how they're hurt by having points. People who do care about points, on the other hand, would be out of luck.

And what's wrong with a little scorekeeping? It's the American way. tongue.gif

All right, I guess after 2 dissenting opinions, we leave the registry the way it is. Thank goodness we have Ghost Town and Capt. Tripps to kick everyone's .

All right, I guess after 2 dissenting opinions, we leave the registry the way it is. Thank goodness we have Ghost Town and Capt. Tripps to kick everyone's .

That's why I don't collect Marvels! wink.gif

It has nothing to do with Marvel, but with spending wads of money.

• Administrator

This is something we are already doing in the NGC coin registry - Competitive Sets which are sets predefined and scored by NGC and Signature Sets which are not scored and allow users to make up their sets, their way. Here is a link to Signature Sets if you are interested in seeing how we've handled it on the coin side.

It is something we would certainly consider extending to the comics registry.

...love the deas posted by Deathlock....but keep the points thumbsup2.gif. Viewers are free to ignore the points if they don't like them- just enjoy the sets.

I was initially skeptical about Dena's example in the coin registry of unscored custom sets, simply because in a world of limitless set options, I thought the registry would get filled with thousands of sets which no one would view. However, after viewing the coin registry, many of the sets have a considerable number of hits. Sounds like it would work. thumbsup2.gif

It has nothing to do with Marvel, but with spending wads of money.

That's the American way too!

Well, got to admit it sounds good as well Nostalgic. The one thing that rankles me is that the lower grade registry sets can't compete against the higher grade sets. Is a set with 100 books in VG on the same level as a set with 10 books at uber grade? In a way, yes. These sets represent work(some would say hard work) that a collector has gone to put these together. A person who puts together 100 issues of a series has probably spent more time finding the books while an uber grade 10 set was looking for particular books or label chasing. Though, I guess if it is in the registry you probably label chased a bit.

• Administrator

Similar debates have been had on the coin side, where the registry has been around alot longer. Here are some key points:

1. On the coin side, we ultimatley put in a modifier to make higher grade items worth more points, but not as many points as the cost would indicate. This narrowed the gap and allowed more complete sets a better shot at passing the high grade but few item sets. We haven't heard much about those kinds of issues on the comics side yet, so we haven't taken that step.

2. The points in the registry serve the purpose of highlighting great sets, giving people goals, and generate some fun competition. As the registry grows, there will be thousands of sets. At the minimum points help you spot which sets are truly impressive "want to click on it and see it" types of sets. Otherwise you'd be lost in a sea of sets without any solid sense of comparison.

3. As Dena mentioned, we already have a "Signature Set" concept on the coin side that allows people to construct their own collections in an unscored way. On the comic side we'd call it something else, I imagine, to prevent confusion with "Signature Series", but ultimately it should make its way over to the comics side too.

Arch

When is a pedigree of a book going to be on the CGC registry? Most collectors recognize the importance of a pedigree. I would rather have a Mile High book, or a White Mountain than a signature series book. This, however makes no difference when it comes to putting my books in the registry.

The signature series will always rank higher than my book, even though if say it was signed in the 50's it is qualified, not signature series. I find this to be a load of B.S., especially for older books.

You should have to place the price you paid in your registry for each item, and then compare to actual "guide" value and get a relative score based upon how much you paid to acquire the collection. Call it the frugal CGC'er award.

You should have to place the price you paid in your registry for each item, and then compare to actual "guide" value and get a relative score based upon how much you paid to acquire the collection. Call it the frugal CGC'er award.

Burntboy would win this by a country mile. How do you beat FF #1 for 10 cents?

Might be hard to rely on that as honestly reported...

But the egos of the comic collectors wouldn't let them "lie" about the price they paid as it would reflect their future value "investment". 27_laughing.gif

Find a way to verify the sale through GPA.....we are talking CGC'd books here. Make the purchaser prove up the price first. thumbsup2.gif

RELEASE THE BOTTOM FEEDERS.............................................................

Burntboy would win this by a country mile. How do you beat FF #1 for 10 cents?

He didn't purchase them as CGC'd books. And if he was the submitter, he'd have to list the price as 10 cents plus the cost of slabbing. confused-smiley-013.gif

Burnboy wins again.....if he hadn't already sold so many. poke2.gif