• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

*** Registry Suggestion ***

45 posts in this topic

Might be hard to rely on that as honestly reported...

But the egos of the comic collectors wouldn't let them "lie" about the price they paid as it would reflect their future value "investment". 27_laughing.gif

Find a way to verify the sale through GPA.....we are talking CGC'd books here. Make the purchaser prove up the price first. thumbsup2.gif

RELEASE THE BOTTOM FEEDERS.............................................................

Most of my CGC books were bought through private sales and were not recorded by GPA. How would I prove those?

When is a pedigree of a book going to be on the CGC registry? Most collectors recognize the importance of a pedigree. I would rather have a Mile High book, or a White Mountain than a signature series book. This, however makes no difference when it comes to putting my books in the registry.

The signature series will always rank higher than my book, even though if say it was signed in the 50's it is qualified, not signature series. I find this to be a load of B.S., especially for older books.

I agree with giving a bonus for pedigree copy (of course there could be a debate as to what % that should be or if all pedigree should bring the same bonus in the CGC registry)

As for signature series, I still don't get it. Especially for older books, having a big signature on the front cover IMO is more a desecration than anything else makepoint.gif I don't see why they should be given a premium in the CGC Registry, at the end of the today, it's just an artificial way to create some scarcity...

I agree with giving a bonus for pedigree copy (of course there could be a debate as to what % that should be or if all pedigree should bring the same bonus in the CGC registry)

As for signature series, I still don't get it. Especially for older books, having a big signature on the front cover IMO is more a desecration than anything else makepoint.gif I don't see why they should be given a premium in the CGC Registry, at the end of the today, it's just an artificial way to create some scarcity...

.....a scarcity of unsigned, non defaced books. foreheadslap.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

When is a pedigree of a book going to be on the CGC registry? Most collectors recognize the importance of a pedigree. I would rather have a Mile High book, or a White Mountain than a signature series book. This, however makes no difference when it comes to putting my books in the registry.

The signature series will always rank higher than my book, even though if say it was signed in the 50's it is qualified, not signature series. I find this to be a load of B.S., especially for older books.

Just because you don't collect SS, doesn't mean they are any harder to buy, get signed and slabbed as your blue label. So my yellow label HOS 92 is worth less than your blue label? You will have alot of people arguing that. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Just because you don't collect SS, doesn't mean they are any harder to buy, get signed and slabbed as your blue label. So my yellow label HOS 92 is worth less than your blue label? You will have alot of people arguing that. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I don't imply that it's worth less, and I'm sure they are harder to buy, but given that's a CGC "product", I just that don't feel comfortable in seeing that these SS books get a premium in the Registry...enough with the marketing!

From an aesthetic standpoint, I don't mind if the book has been signed on an interior page or back cover, but when I these big black sharpie on a front cover...I just hate it!

I like to get books signed once in a while, but I much prefer when it's on a book that comprise a bunch of work from a given creator (TPB, HC, Masterworks etc.)

I never liked people at Comic Cons that put a pile of regular comic books in the face of a writer or penciller for them to sign, it just takes too much time...

I find it more civilized to go up with one book (HC typically), ask for a signature and quick small sketch...

That being said, I understand the pleasure these SS books bring to some collectors flowerred.gif

Pirate,

I think that it is just a matter of equality. Those people on both sides of the issue agree that their version deserves some special notice. I agree. If SS gets a bump in the Registry, then I also think it holds true that Pedigree copies of books should get the same bonus as awarded to SS books.

I dont think it has to do with monetary value, but moreso treating the two equally.

I don't imply that it's worth less, and I'm sure they are harder to buy, but given that's a CGC "product", I just that don't feel comfortable in seeing that these SS books get a premium in the Registry...enough with the marketing!

enough with the marketing? no offense, but are you out of your mind?

that's all the Registry is! it's a nice way to encourage slabbing and transacting with slabs...that's it!

to ask CGC to stop using the Registry as a way to encourage folks to get SS books is waaaaaay shortsighted. ain't never gonna happen.

you're not about to tell Coke to stop using giveaway contests in order to sell more 18oz bottles are you?

I'm relatively new to the registry, and to the forums, so please forgive me if this has been discussed ad nauseum, or is better suited for another topic.

I find the current way the registry is set up to be a bit counter-intuitive. As I understand the current system, you can only add a comic to a pre-defined set. Wouldn't it make more sense, from a simple database standpoint, for each account holder to have one master list of all the registered comics he or she owns, and then to build sets from that?

Deli Man

sign-funnypost.gif

Insightful post.

Based on Feedback thus far, I think the following are some very good suggestions into enhancing the registry. I'd like some feedback from CGC on this in terms of what they think and estimated timeframes for implementation:

[*]Communication from CGC that communicates to the collector community how scores are computated for books in the registry set.

[*]Enhancing the point structure such that points are added or removed based on the page quality of the book in question.

[*]Enhancing the point structure such that bonus points (a percentage perhaps) is added based on the pedigree status of the book.

[*]Enhancing the registry such that customized sets can be added according to the collector's tastes. The current method of by title is very limiting, as collectors can collect by artist, cover type, etc.

[*]Enhancing the registry such that "prep" work done to add a title to the registry is eliminated. As a result, if a book has been certified, a collector should be able to add it. This would entail doing enough prep work to auto-determine the point structure ahead of time though.

[*]Implementing an online system of having scores re-evaluated so that it is more easily tracked and better feedback can be provided. Currently we can only use a specific thread, and it doesn't look like it is being looked at on a regular basis or feedback isn't being provided.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

I'm relatively new to the registry, and to the forums, so please forgive me if this has been discussed ad nauseum, or is better suited for another topic.

I find the current way the registry is set up to be a bit counter-intuitive. As I understand the current system, you can only add a comic to a pre-defined set. Wouldn't it make more sense, from a simple database standpoint, for each account holder to have one master list of all the registered comics he or she owns, and then to build sets from that?

Deli Man

I completely agree with you thumbsup2.gif

I just joined with a paid membership and I'm very dissappointed that I can't add a single CGC book I own because no pre-defined sets are there and it appears they won't be there for a long time.

I just want to add the CGC books I own under my own account, really don't care about competing on a points basis with others, just sharing them.

Jeff

• Administrator

Thanks for your questions! Answers are below in blue:

[*]Communication from CGC that communicates to the collector community how scores are computated for books in the registry set. In order to rank sets competitively, the Comics Registry assigns every comic book a point value or score in every possible CGC grade and label category. The scores of individual comic books registered in a set are then added together to calculate a set’s score. Ultimately, sets are ranked by comparing their scores to other sets in the same category, with the highest scoring set being the top ranked.

When the Registry was first created, there were a few different methods for determining scores to choose from. One method to determine scores was to assign scores based directly on books’ values in the marketplace. This, however, proved impractical because market values are constantly changing and accurate pricing information is not always available. Furthermore values often increase exponentially at the top end of the grade range, which would limit competition by allowing a single book to overshadow a more complete collection. Another method was to use grades alone. Grades, however, do not necessarily distinguish between the individual comics in a set, because grades do not by themselves reflect the rarity of a comic or the importance of a particular issue. Thus a scoring algorithm was developed to overcome these limitations.

The goal of the scoring algorithm used by the Comics Registry is to represent accurately each comic book’s scarcity, desirability, and value, while ensuring a fun and competitive collecting environment.

To calculate a registry score, the scoring algorithm begins with a single “raw score” for each comic book. The raw score of a comic book is the approximate market value of a Near Mint copy of that issue. A number of widely available sources are used to determine this value, and CGC will consult with experts when accurate information cannot be found in these references.

Using this raw score, the algorithm calculates a Registry score for every possible CGC category and grade for that comic book. For example, the raw score is multiplied by standard weights to achieve scores for each CGC Universal Grade. Universal scores are then used in combination with percentage multipliers to determine scores for non-Universal Registry Scores (such as Signatures Series, Qualified, and Restored). The algorithm attempts to weigh the relative value, scarcity, and desirability for each grade and category, and varies based on the comic age and other variables.

Comic scores do not equate to market dollars. A more valuable book will in most cases receive more Registry points, but its score is not directly correlated to its value. The algorithm is also designed to enhance and encourage competition in the Registry by reducing extremes in value differences between grades and categories. For this reason a very valuable book may receive fewer points than might be expected, or a relatively common book will receive more points than might otherwise be expected.

Research is continuing into more advanced methods to provide a ranking system that recognizes the intelligence of the market, while offering a better reflection of relative rarity in higher grades and adjusting for market distortions. The goal of the system is to continually increase the breadth and depth of available sets, taking into consideration valuations and opinions in order to fairly and objectively apply Registry point values.

[*]Enhancing the point structure such that points are added or removed based on the page quality of the book in question. [*]Enhancing the point structure such that bonus points (a percentage perhaps) is added based on the pedigree status of the book. It is difficult to give you a definitive answer on these issues until we can thoroughly research what would be involved in making these changes and the impact they would have on the registry. As mentioned previously, we are continuing to research scoring methods and while I am not in a position to announce any changes in scoring at this time, I can say that we are aware of the suggestions thus far and will consider them.

In these last months of 2006 we are focusing on the creation of new sets. There are many people who want to register sets and have been patiently waiting for us to release the categories that most interest them. With this latest round of sets we are adding, I believe we are satisfying the majority of the requests we have gotten to date. As you can see however, the list continues to grow as new set requests are made almost daily. Which leads me to the next point…

[*]Enhancing the registry such that customized sets can be added according to the collector's tastes. The current method of by title is very limiting, as collectors can collect by artist, cover type, etc. We believe this is a critical enhancement and we plan to get started with it in the first quarter of 2007.

[*]Enhancing the registry such that "prep" work done to add a title to the registry is eliminated. As a result, if a book has been certified, a collector should be able to add it. This would entail doing enough prep work to auto-determine the point structure ahead of time though. We are well aware of this problem and working to get ahead of it. A little background on this issue…the problem is not related to scoring but the fact that CGC has not yet graded these issues. Without getting into all of the technicalities, here is the simplified explanation: Every CGC graded comic title and issue has a unique number associated with it in the CGC database. The registry is structured so that scores are tied to this number. If an issue has never been graded before, it does not have a number and when a user attempts to submit it for the registry, it fails if the registry has not yet been updated with the new comic number. We are actively working to resolve this problem by identifying where we have these ‘problem slots’ in sets and fixing them before the failures happen. So, while we have lots of new sets up, there is still much work going on behind the scenes to make sure the process of registering books runs smoothly.

Ultimately we plan to be at a point where new set categories are complete from the moment they are made live. However, with this latest round of new sets, we believe it was better to roll out the sets first and immediately get to work on the ‘problem slots’ rather than delay the release of the sets by working in reverse order. We appreciate your patience as we get caught up and get ahead of this problem.

Additionally, in the meantime, we are working on a resolution to better handle entries like this so that they do not fail but are possibly marked as pending and immediately referred to an administrator for resolution.

[*]Implementing an online system of having scores re-evaluated so that it is more easily tracked and better feedback can be provided. Currently we can only use a specific thread, and it doesn't look like it is being looked at on a regular basis or feedback isn't being provided. In the coin registry we are including a link to ‘Request Score Correction’ where an email is sent to the registry administrator so requests are more quickly received and addressed. Here is a link so you can see what I mean:

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetScoreDetail.aspx?SetTypeID=61

This has been a big help in terms of keeping on top of the requests and I think it can work here as well. It is also something that is simple to implement so we can get this up quickly.

I apologize if my answers are a bit long winded. Thanks again to all for your inquiries!

Thanks for the follow up! Awesome flowerred.gif

I'm well aware of most of the problems you illustrated, as I've been bumping along the ride in the past few years as CGC continues to fine tune the process. Gemma has been VERY patient with me, and deserves much kudos. At least at acknowledgement of the discussion by collectors on the boards is a big plus. Keeping us updated helps keeps this process exciting and invites additional collectors to participate, so I hope this continues.

If you can explain to me how I can get H.G. Peter or William Marston to sign my Wonder Woman 16 in front of CGC reps at a convention for that coveted yellow label tell me. Especially since they died 40+ years ago. 893whatthe.gif

I assume you'd be interested in CGC's new Seance Signature Series.

CGC will get you together with the spirit of the dearly departed creator and through a medium...will get your item signed via automatic writing.

thumbsup2.gif

btremain_seance_400pix.jpg