• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,174 posts in this topic

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Probably my favorite single comic book. Yours is in great shape for a Wonder #1! Congrats!

I'd really like to find a # 2 to give it some company. thumbsup2.gif

The interior artwork is really stunning for so early in the comic book era. cloud9.gif

Edited by FUELMAN

Here are a couple of mine:

WeirdComics1FN--1.jpg

FantasticComics2CGC4.jpg

Wonderful books, everyone! Keep 'em coming! 893applaud-thumb.gif

It's funny, Buttock, but I actually like that awful cover to Fantastic #9...kind of a symbol of how far and how quickly the standards dropped after Lou Fine and the Eisner/Iger shop departed. So bad it's good!

That's a great-looking Science #4, Ryan! I'd love to own a copy of that!

Overstreet attributes this cover to Joe Simon. Makes sense, but looking at the green skeleton creature, I have to think he kept Wonderworld #7 and other Lou Fine covers around as reference when he drew this.

You know, I have Science #3 and #6, but now I'm starting to want to fill in some of the other issues. Something tells me this thread will be a costly one for me... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Very excellent choices, CW! Particularily the WEIRD #1. Love that cover.

I figured I'd better get in here before this one is posted:

1273397-sci%234POST.jpg

I've always thought this was a really cool cover. All the early Fox Science comics had great covers. That being said, there is something painfully ackward about the perspective on drooling orange alien guy. It's almost as if he were pencilled by someone else, since the finishing matches. Hey... did Rob Liefeld's grandfather draw any old comics?

27_laughing.gif

Very excellent choices, CW! Particularily the WEIRD #1. Love that cover.

I figured I'd better get in here before this one is posted:

1273397-sci%234POST.jpg

I LOVE that book. I've never seen one in person. hail.gifhail.gif

Wow, now that is a neat cover.

I think you're just a sucker for GA superheroes wearing bright reds & yellows! poke2.gif

Kidding...it is indeed a neat cover. While the later covers don't compare to the Lou Fine ones, I still really like the Fox covers like this one because of how simple, bold & colorful they are. (And of course, that Science #2 is a stunner!) Beautiful books, Jon B! thumbsup2.gif

That's a great-looking Science #4, Ryan! I'd love to own a copy of that!

Overstreet attributes this cover to Joe Simon. Makes sense, but looking at the green skeleton creature, I have to think he kept Wonderworld #7 and other Lou Fine covers around as reference when he drew this.

You know, I have Science #3 and #6, but now I'm starting to want to fill in some of the other issues. Something tells me this thread will be a costly one for me... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Tell me about it Point Five... I just picked up an early Mystery Men this morning from Jim Payette, who, by the way, has a nice selection of early FOX's!!

The SCIENCE #4 is definately Joe Simon (it is signed by the telescope)... i agree, it does look he had a few different references around when he drew that one (esp. that "paste up" orange monster!)

I, too, would love to pick up some more SCIENCE's at some point... nice #2, by the way, Jon!!! I don't even understand how its possible to have the collection he has... there ain't that many high grade books in the WORLD!!

Here is Science 3 by Lou Fine (Larson copy). Metropolis has a lower grade copy of this classic cover on their site for sale .

Great book, Jon, as usual!! The Lamont copy of my favorite FOX cover!

In addition to METRO, you can find the book at SUPERWORLD COMICS and CLINK... the book was nowhere to be seen when i was hunting for it, and I ended up paying too much at HERITAGE! Patience is not my middle name...

It is a really nice book, and affordable. Well worth it.