• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

On 1/27/2023 at 1:35 AM, Frisco Larson said:

AWESOME Sha!!! The Cosmic Aeroplane copy!!! :applause:

Thanks...I bought it raw years ago in at the Chicago Comic Con.  from a well known dealer, I don't think either of us knew about Cosmic Aeroplanes at the time. I did learn a short while later. I remember scouring the rest of my treasures for check marks, lol. I found a few Jumbos what were the same charming  Ped.

On 1/27/2023 at 7:23 AM, skypinkblu said:

Thanks...I bought it raw years ago in at the Chicago Comic Con.  from a well known dealer, I don't think either of us knew about Cosmic Aeroplanes at the time. I did learn a short while later. I remember scouring the rest of my treasures for check marks, lol. I found a few Jumbos what were the same charming  Ped.

That's awesome! I love discovering pedigrees that are as yet unidentified!  :banana:

On 1/27/2023 at 10:57 PM, Frisco Larson said:

That's awesome! I love discovering pedigrees that are as yet unidentified!  :banana:

Yes, but I'm not sure that someone ELSE didn't know about the Pedigree, lol...but he didn't, and I knew a lot less than the dealer.

On 1/27/2023 at 10:00 PM, skypinkblu said:

Yes, but I'm not sure that someone ELSE didn't know about the Pedigree, lol...but he didn't, and I knew a lot less than the dealer.

Sometimes people are aware of the pedigree but they just miss seeing it. At one of our fests (Billy's house that time), I discovered a few in Ricky's collection ... a pair of Frisco's and something else, but I can't recall what it was right now. Once at Ricky's place I discovered that Russ' Terrific #5 was the Big Apple and none of the other 3 guys caught it! Russ was pretty happy about that! I AM a bit of a pedigree geek though and have made a bit of a study of the marking and such. I just love funny books! (thumbsu

On 1/27/2023 at 11:07 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Sometimes people are aware of the pedigree but they just miss seeing it. At one of our fests (Billy's house that time), I discovered a few in Ricky's collection ... a pair of Frisco's and something else, but I can't recall what it was right now. Once at Ricky's place I discovered that Russ' Terrific #5 was the Big Apple and none of the other 3 guys caught it! Russ was pretty happy about that! I AM a bit of a pedigree geek though and have made a bit of a study of the marking and such. I just love funny books! (thumbsu

Maybe you can get together with Matt Nelson and finish his pedigree book? Anything I ever learned about Pedigrees years ago was from his synopsis that he had posted.

On 1/27/2023 at 10:48 PM, skypinkblu said:

Maybe you can get together with Matt Nelson and finish his pedigree book? Anything I ever learned about Pedigrees years ago was from his synopsis that he had posted.

I had been thinking the same thing and am hoping that some time can be put toward that later this year. :wishluck:

On 1/27/2023 at 8:51 PM, Frisco Larson said:
On 1/27/2023 at 8:48 PM, skypinkblu said:

I had been thinking the same thing and am hoping that some time can be put toward that later this year. :wishluck:

Well, let's hope so although I would certainly not be willing to place any money on this long awaited book coming out anytime so, if ever. :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Best approach to take is to keep it to the historical aspect of the pedigree such as the back story of the original owners, the founders of the collection, the breadth and depth of the collection, etc, and forget about all of that CGC grading and census related crapola because that'll be out of date long before the book even sees print.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/27/2023 at 11:52 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, let's hope so although I would certainly not be willing to place any money on this long awaited book coming out anytime so, if ever. :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Best approach to take is to keep it to the historical aspect of the pedigree such as the back story of the original owners, the founders of the collection, the breadth and depth of the collection, etc, and forget about all of that CGC grading and census related crapola because that'll be out of date long before the book even sees print.  (thumbsu

Just to clarify, I'm in no way officially connected to producing the aforementioned pedigree book, but rather hoped to discuss with Matt later this year if there was anything that I or anyone else could do to help expedite the process of seeing its release.

As far as format and content suggestions, you can submit those to Matt yourself. My interest is in providing any assistance that I'm able to, NOT in telling the man how to write his own book. 

On 1/27/2023 at 8:51 PM, Frisco Larson said:
On 1/27/2023 at 8:48 PM, skypinkblu said:

The sad thing is that, as I understand it, the pedigree book was very close to being completed when the efforts were abandoned.  Almost all (if not all) of the GA chapters had been written and the pages were already laid out with applicable covers/illustrations.  But then, when they were at the 98-yard line, Matt and Steve took on new employment opportunities that prevented them from carrying the ball the last two yards.  If they had just published what they had at that point, all of us would have gladly purchased a copy.  :frown:

On 1/31/2023 at 5:26 PM, RareHighGrade said:

The sad thing is that, as I understand it, the pedigree book was very close to being completed when the efforts were abandoned.  Almost all (if not all) of the GA chapters had been written and the pages were already laid out with applicable covers/illustrations.  But then, when they were at the 98-yard line, Matt and Steve took on new employment opportunities that prevented them from carrying the ball the last two yards.  If they had just published what they had at that point, all of us would have gladly purchased a copy.  :frown:

Getting an audience with Matty can be tricky at times, as he's very busy, but I hope to get with him and see the current state of the project. If it's really that close from whatever time it was set aside (half dozen years or better now, I'd guess), there'll need to be a fair amount of new information included just to bring it up to present day due to new pedigrees (Promise Collection for one) that have been unearthed. I think now, maybe more than ever, a current reference book on pedigrees would be a very useful and sought after volume in EVERY serious collector's information arsenal, as well as interesting enough to get some casual readers who are simply interested in history. Bringing this project to the finish line will be a balance. Some on here may forget that this is almost completely a labor of love and nobody's likely to make any money on it when all is said and done, and quite frankly, some may lose money on it, all things considered. So, cooperation and composure are going to be my plan to nudge this forward. Again, I need to see where it's currently at. There may be a way to make this a several volume series and that may mean there's enough done for a solid first volume. 

Edited by Frisco Larson

On 1/31/2023 at 7:02 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Getting an audience with Matty can be tricky at times, as he's very busy, but I hope to get with him and see the current state of the project. If it's really that close from whatever time it was set aside (half dozen years or better now, I'd guess), there'll need to be a fair amount of new information included just to bring it up to present day due to new pedigrees (Promise Collection for one) that have been unearthed. I think now, maybe more than ever, a current reference book on pedigrees would be a very useful and sought after volume in EVERY serious collector's information arsenal, as well as interesting enough to get some casual readers who are simply interested in history. Bringing this project to the finish line will be a balance. Some on here may forget that this is almost completely a labor of love and nobody's likely to make any money on it when all is said and done, and quite frankly, some may lose money on it, all things considered. So, cooperation and composure are going to be my plan to nudge this forward. Again, I need to see where it's currently at. There may be a way to make this a several volume series and that may mean there's enough done for a solid first volume. 

Sounds like a plan Frisco!

Good luck, I think Matt would welcome an audience with you given your evident passion on the subject and consideration worthy proposals to get this done.

On 1/31/2023 at 7:28 PM, sagii said:

Sounds like a plan Frisco!

Good luck, I think Matt would welcome an audience with you given your evident passion on the subject and consideration worthy proposals to get this done.

Thank you sagii! I'm sure Matt would love to finish the book! I know he's got a lot on his plate and could probably use some help just getting the ball rolling again.

Notice this late Wonderworld that sold on Heritage last night and it looks like the Fox runaway train still shows no sign of slowing down here:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/wonderworld-comics-32-fox-1941-cgc-fn-60-off-white-pages/a/122306-12013.s?type=bidnotice-outbid

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Wonderworld Comics #32 (Fox, 1941) CGC FN 6.0 Off-white pages....

Any boardies here in on the action for this nicely presenting copy relative to its CGC 6.0 grade and no doubt helped by its Hitler cover, but still a very strong price at $11,400 or almost 12X condition guide value?  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/13/2023 at 7:12 AM, Professor K said:

Back from cgc. Previously a 3.0 graded by the other guys. Not too bothered that it came back a full grade lower even though I think it should be a 3.0. Just happy to have one.

Big congrats to you on a nice pickup of a fantastic Fox Mystery Men book.  :applause:

Not sure about the grading and if both companies handle the tape defect the same way.  I believe CGC grades what the defect would be if the tape was not there which would mean almost an entire spine split, while I am not sure about the other guys across the street?  hm  (shrug)

On 2/13/2023 at 11:18 AM, lou_fine said:

Big congrats to you on a nice pickup of a fantastic Fox Mystery Men book.  :applause:

Not sure about the grading and if both companies handle the tape defect the same way.  I believe CGC grades what the defect would be if the tape was not there which would mean almost an entire spine split, while I am not sure about the other guys across the street?  hm  (shrug)

Well if it is a 2.0 its a nice looking 2.0. Great color. Other than the tape it looks real nice.  (thumbsu