• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,172 posts in this topic

Being a long-time fan of Fox comics, I'd like to toss out a couple questions to the collective body of great knowledge out there. Adam Strange, you might remember I used to obsess over Fox's paper stock inconsistencies.

At some point, between the thicker superhero books, and the good girl stuff, Fox started printing some books with the cheaper, non-glossy cover stock. What's the earliest known comic with this cover stock?

I realize that some titles might have one issue with a glossy cover, and the next with the flat stock, etc. Are there any cases of a particular issue existing in both states? My Blue Beetle 52 has glossy cover stock, but I've been told someone else has one with a flat paper cover. If both states exist for a particular book, might that then affect the desirability of the book where all else is equal?

Considering the degree of analysis and scholarship that exists in this hobby (particularly among collectors of older material), I'm wondering if there already exists a listing of Fox books with respect to their cover stock.

I'll hang up and listen.

confused.gif

Being a long-time fan of Fox comics, I'd like to toss out a couple questions to the collective body of great knowledge out there. Adam Strange, you might remember I used to obsess over Fox's paper stock inconsistencies.

At some point, between the thicker superhero books, and the good girl stuff, Fox started printing some books with the cheaper, non-glossy cover stock. What's the earliest known comic with this cover stock?

I realize that some titles might have one issue with a glossy cover, and the next with the flat stock, etc. Are there any cases of a particular issue existing in both states? My Blue Beetle 52 has glossy cover stock, but I've been told someone else has one with a flat paper cover. If both states exist for a particular book, might that then affect the desirability of the book where all else is equal?

Considering the degree of analysis and scholarship that exists in this hobby (particularly among collectors of older material), I'm wondering if there already exists a listing of Fox books with respect to their cover stock.

I'll hang up and listen.

confused.gif

My BB 52 is the non-glossy cover stock and I have seen other issues with two different types of paper/gloss used on Fox good girl books. To my knowledge, the various combinations of paper (pink, white, and blue) and cover stock have not been charted. I think it very unlikely that all 6 combinations exist on every issue.

I only collect good girl Blue Beetle issues wink.gif issues so I don't know when the switchover occurred. Perhaps a Blue Beetle completionist can enlighten us.

With regards to value, I haven't seen much difference but I suppose it could vary. My personal preference for cover stock varies from issue to issue and from copy to copy. Some books, like JoJo 11, look just fine in a non-gloss stock. Speaking of which...

1277355-JoJo11.jpg

1277355-JoJo11.jpg.96e55ad707cbdfb8c3c6359576d80881.jpg

Check this out, guys...the first Stardust story from Fantastic Comics #1, December 1939. I'm a huge fan of the mysterious Henry Fletcher who wrote and drew it...anyone know anything about him? His art is reminiscent of Basil Wolverton's, though it typically has more of a childlike/primitive quality, and his plotting is always quite bizarre and imaginative. Enjoy!

1280936-45twop1.jpg

1280936-45twop1.jpg.8a7ce3dae3710ce55d122715d84ef477.jpg

Check this out, guys...the first Stardust story from Fantastic Comics #1, December 1939. I'm a huge fan of the mysterious Henry Fletcher who wrote and drew it...anyone know anything about him? His art is reminiscent of Basil Wolverton's, though it typically has more of a childlike/primitive quality, and his plotting is always quite bizarre and imaginative. Enjoy!

1280936-45twop1.jpg

Paul Karasik is writing a book on Fletcher Hanks---sort of "Wolverton on acid". Paul scanned a number of the stories from Fox and Fiction House. Do not know when it is coming out... His style kinda grows on you. Paul recently taught a course on American comic book art in Italy......jon

Paul Karasik is writing a book on Fletcher Hanks---sort of "Wolverton on acid". Paul scanned a number of the stories from Fox and Fiction House. Do not know when it is coming out... His style kinda grows on you. Paul recently taught a course on American comic book art in Italy......jon

That is wonderful news! I've wanted to know more about this artist for years, and barely know anything about him at all. "Wolverton on acid" is a great description...I love his stories. Please keep me (& everyone) posted about this book, Jon. thumbsup2.gif

Hi Point Five,

Thanks so much for this rare opportunity to read the first STARDUST story without having to take out a loan, or worry about ruining an expensive book!! Very cool work. Must know more about Henry Fletcher!! I love the mysterious, obscure aspect of his work. Wordy rascal, wasn't he?

The first place I saw his work was a little reprint of a page and a half in an old graphic design mag, in an article about old comics. I saved this clipping, hoping one day to find out who was behind this cool artwork!! In it, criminals have apparently caused the earth to loose its garvity, and all the people fly off and float into space... then the criminal mastermind, not wanting to share all the wealth of the world, kills his comrades. (any one know which issue this story is from?)

I believe STARDUST is also used on the cover of "MEN OF MYSTERY" (right title?), the history book of the golden age.

Hope that more of his work does see reprint one day.

Jon Berk notified me that you fellers were discussing the creator of Stardust. To begin with, for years collectors figured that the guy's real name was Henry Fletcher because it sounded more authentic than his real name: Fletcher Hanks.

'I Will Destroy All Civilized Planets: The Comics of Fletcher Hanks' will be published by Fantagraphics early Spring 2007. I am greatly indebted to serious collectors such as Jon Berk for allowing me access to these rare books. As many of you know, Fletcher Hanks worked for second-rate publishers on third rate characters during only the first three years of the comic book industry (1939-1941). He has been largely forgotten...but that is about to change.

The book will also include a sixteen page comics afterword written and drawn by myself which solves the mystery of 'Whatever Happened to Fletcher Hanks,' the maniacal cartoonist who created a hailstorm of tales of brutal retribution... and then mysteriously vanished.

Jon Berk notified me that you fellers were discussing the creator of Stardust. To begin with, for years collectors figured that the guy's real name was Henry Fletcher because it sounded more authentic than his real name: Fletcher Hanks.

'I Will Destroy All Civilized Planets: The Comics of Fletcher Hanks' will be published by Fantagraphics early Spring 2007. I am greatly indebted to serious collectors such as Jon Berk for allowing me access to these rare books. As many of you know, Fletcher Hanks worked for second-rate publishers on third rate characters during only the first three years of the comic book industry (1939-1941). He has been largely forgotten...but that is about to change.

The book will also include a sixteen page comics afterword written and drawn by myself which solves the mystery of 'Whatever Happened to Fletcher Hanks,' the maniacal cartoonist who created a hailstorm of tales of brutal retribution... and then mysteriously vanished.

Hi there friend,

I was thrilled to hear about your upcoming book. I have a million questions for you about the mysterious Mr. Hanks (he used so many pseudonyms that you're quite right, even pinning down his name has been difficult). But so as not to scoop your book, I guess I'll just wait to read it!

Are you an early Fox collector? and what got you interested in writing this book?

Welcome to the forums, and hope you stick around!

popcorn.gif

I am not a serious collector. My collection is vast but decidedly 2nd or 3rd rate. That is, I have one or two examples of most every publisher and genre (except for a vast 60's-70's superhero collection from my youth) and they are generally only in "good" condition.

I got hooked on Hanks when I was the Associate Editor of Art Spiegelman's RAW magazine in the early 80's and we reprinted one of those Stardust tales (Fantastic #7).

I hope that you will find the story of Hanks worth the wait.

Greetings Paul,

Let me second Point Five's "welcome to the boards"!

I am really looking forward to your book on the comics of Fletcher Hanks... I especially enjoy the obscure creators of the golden age, and since discovering Hanks' work accidently, I have been trying in vain to track down info on him. The first work I saw of his was a little reprint in a graphic design magazine, a scan of which I have attached below. Maybe you can help identify which issue this is from? Would love to track down the original comic.

If there is any way to get put on a mailing list, please sign me up, or let me know. I can't wait to see this book!! Fantagraphics is well respected, and always does a stand up job on their books, so I know the book will be beautifully done.

Thanks for putting together such an amazing project... if you have any other projects in the works, I (we) would love to hear about them.

1284386-stardustPOST.jpg

1284386-stardustPOST.jpg.0c358ace33ba3ba4228d32736c264256.jpg

Edited by RyanH