• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

Speaking of Fox books never seen before... does anyone have cover scans of My Life #14, My Love Memoirs #12, or My Story #11 that they could post?

I think I've seen every Fox comic book other than those three romance books.

A test.

Samson 6 is the last Fox issue. What was the next issue? Ut! No peaking in the Guide (ah what the heck peek....) 1302680-samson6.jpg

okay....i will talk to myself....it was Capt. Aero #1 which actually was numbered 7 in the indicia since it continued the numbering from Samson 6. Why? By this time Fox was in alot of financial problems and the titles had been switched up to editiorial offices in Holyoke, Mass. Holyoke continued the numbering of certain titles....Note for example Blue Beetle..

Number 12 here was done by Patnenaude for Fox (another great, but little known cover) but was printed by Holyoke. Note the "white patch" in the middle of the cover where the Fox logo would have gone. Interesting stuff, wot!!!

1303644-bluebet12.jpg

1303644-bluebet12.jpg.12140219dc088e9a0971014b876b8fc1.jpg

A test.

Samson 6 is the last Fox issue. What was the next issue? Ut! No peaking in the Guide (ah what the heck peek....) 1302680-samson6.jpg

okay....i will talk to myself....it was Capt. Aero #1 which actually was numbered 7 in the indicia since it continued the numbering from Samson 6. Why? By this time Fox was in alot of financial problems and the titles had been switched up to editiorial offices in Holyoke, Mass. Holyoke continued the numbering of certain titles....Note for example Blue Beetle..

Number 12 here was done by Patnenaude for Fox (another great, but little known cover) but was printed by Holyoke. Note the "white patch" in the middle of the cover where the Fox logo would have gone. Interesting stuff, wot!!!

1303644-bluebet12.jpg

Very interesting!

And nice to see an early example of the lady tied to a wheel. Seemed to be a pretty popular theme over the years.

more lesser known fox covers from the end of the run by the wonderful ramona patenaude (anyone know anything about her????)

Man, I'm totally digging those Patenaude covers. Jon, do you have an index of Fox covers that she did? I may need to broaden my collecting focus a bit...

Did she do the cover to Wonderworld 28? Jon, if you get a chance to post that one, I'd really appreciate it. If the rest of you guys have never seen a Wonderworld 28 up close, you're in for a treat...

Did she do the cover to Wonderworld 28? Jon, if you get a chance to post that one, I'd really appreciate it. If the rest of you guys have never seen a Wonderworld 28 up close, you're in for a treat...

Probably by Edd Ashe.....

1305061-ww28.jpg

Church copy

1305061-ww28.jpg.c5eda10736a38c8c582de5434b7041f4.jpg

Probably by Edd Ashe.....

1305061-ww28.jpg

Church copy

This has to be one of the all-time great comic book monsters! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

That is without a doubt one of the best comic monsters ever!! Thanks for posting that Jon.

Here is one that just arrived this morning... its got a nice STARDUST story in it. Plus a swell Joe Simon cover.

1306340-fantastic%237001.jpg

589a90d374e2b_1306340-fantastic7001.jpg.19d1eae0ed8b91410f843d7cea22fb40.jpg

Edited by RyanH

What an awesome cover. The rendering on the monster's face is particularly nice. You bought this book as a Good+, correct Ryan? I wish all my Good+ books presented that well. Great pickup!

That is without a doubt one of the best comic monsters ever!! Thanks for posting that Jon.

Here is one that just arrived this morning... its got a nice STARDUST story in it. Plus a swell Joe Simon cover.

frustrated.gif

I thought after reading Gerber PJ 7-8 times I had a sense of how many GA books I still "need". Then I keep reading these threads.

The one thing that gives me hope is, as Jon implies, many of these still look pretty sweet in G.

frustrated.gif

I thought after reading Gerber PJ 7-8 times I had a sense of how many GA books I still "need". Then I keep reading these threads.

The one thing that gives me hope is, as Jon implies, many of these still look pretty sweet in G.

That, hopefully, is one of the things the Boards are all about....seeing and learning about comics that had passed under your radar screen mainly because they are so rare...

What an awesome cover. The rendering on the monster's face is particularly nice. You bought this book as a Good+, correct Ryan? I wish all my Good+ books presented that well. Great pickup!

That is correct, PointFive... I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised at the grading!! Most dealers would have put this at a VG or VG- ... props to Jim Payette!! I only just discovered him a month or two ago (courtesy of a board thread), and the two books I have received from him have been jems (for their grades).

So, where is the scan of your FANTASTIC #4, Point Five? I would love to see that cover. Hows the Hanks story in that issue? I think the SPACE SMITH story in my #7 must be by someone else ... doesn't look like Hanks' work at all.

Its nice to actually see a Fletcher Hanks story the way it was originally presented... this is my first Hanks issue. Wonder if any of his originals exist?? Maybe Jon Berk has some stashed away...

Hi, Ryan! Too bad the Space Smith story in your #7 is non-Hanks, though I have no doubt the Stardust story was worth the price of admission. #6 is an even stranger case...Hanks does the Space Smith story and the K-51 story, and Stardust is drawn (poorly) by someone else! I guess back then it was no big deal for creators to be shuffled around on stories...and remember, Fox was one of just a small handful of companies where the artistic styles were distinctive enough to even tell the difference.

Believe it or not I haven't had any time to read the #4...just been extra busy, both work & home. Will post at some point. thumbsup2.gif

Hi Point Five,

Could you please send me a sample page of the K-51 story or post it on this board? As I said, in preparing my Hanks collection I have had to rely on collectors for finding this material and I do not recall seeing that tale.

Regarding Space Smith. Some of them are definitely by Hanks, some by another artist using the Hank Christy alias (one of several of Hanks' nom de plumes) and some, I believe are a collaboration. Even the ones by Hanks are generally sub-standard and appear, as I have said elsewhere, as though they were done in the subway on the way to the Fox offices.

Thanks,

-Paul Karasik

Hi, Paul!

It will take a while as I'll be away from my collection the next few weeks, but sure, I can try to get a photo to you at some point.

"As though they were done in the subway on the way..." ...great quote!

Will your book have some kind of index of all the stories Hanks worked on? Ryan and I were thinking what a great resource that would be, though understandably it would be hard to nail down a complete list.

regards...Jon

...wait. I'm confused...are there two Jons on this board?

I had not planned to run a full index of the Hanks tales, but now that you mention it, perhaps I should try to include one. I would have to get some help putting it together, though, and this might be the right place to ask.

I am looking forward to the K-51 story, thanks.

Best,

-Paul