• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Best Marvel Run of the 1980s

Best Marvel Run of the 80s (Artist/Writer One Person  

435 members have voted

1. 1. Best Marvel Run of the 80s (Artist/Writer One Person

36 posts in this topic

This is for writers who also handled the artwork on a respective title.

Personally, I've got three faves and there's probably a few I forgot.

Bryne's FF run, Simonson's Thor and Miller's Daredevil. If you can think of some others let me know!

Bryne's FF: Okay, we all know that JB is egotistical and has referred to his FF stories as second only to Lee/Kirby! He may be right. The highlight issues (249-250) that stand out are the ones where Reed, Spidey, the Avengers and the rest take on Gladiator and the Skrulls. Classic cover on 249.

Simonson's Thor: Simonson made Thor cool! The Surtur-comes-to-Asgard-to-kick-butt sage rocked! The low point, however, was when Thor got turned into a Frog and 20-odd years later I'm still wondering what the F was up with Beta Ray Bill. He just always reminded me of one of those puppets in the Dark Crystal.

Miller's Daredevil: This run had a cool trifecta. Daredevil, Electra and Bullseye. You could argue the Kingpin as well, but Bullseye was way cooler. Miller turned Bullseye into the ultimate antagonist for DD. Plus, with all that ninja, martial arts, craze going on in the 80s, the DD comics had a reality look to it.

I'd have expected Miller's Daredevil to win hands down.

A couple other candidates, but not really serious contenders-- Byrne's She-Hulk and Alpha Flight, and Starlin's Dreadstar, assuming Epic counts as Marvel.

Cheers,

Z.

I'll give ya Starlin's Dreadstar. Great series up to #25 or so. I recently reread Metamorphsis Odyssey again for the first time since it's release in Epic magazine. Absolutely wonderful story! (Actually I should include that in the GN thread.)

Jim

We've been talking about byrne's ff run lately... I think this is definitely an extremely underrated run, and I love it... I think it's actually better than his x-men run and pretty much anything else he's done... his superman: man of steel was pretty good though.

And thor into a frog? That story was great!

Simonson's Thor was far more groundbreaking for his character, I think.

His stories were classic.

While all three are great, I think his were the most imaginative and creative.

Okay the frog thing was kinda weird, but Beta Ray Bill was cool!!!

Moon Knight was good during that time. The Golden Micronauts run was pretty good as well.

Amazing Spider -Man had finished that horrible stretch with the likes of Rocket Racer and The Wheel.

John Byrne and John Romita Jr took over the reigns, and for the next 50 or so issues, up to around 248 Roger Stern RULED!

Also, the JRJr and Layton run of Iron Man was the best the title ever had during this timeframe

John Byrne and John Romita Jr took over the reigns, and for the next 50 or so issues, up to around 248 Roger Stern RULED!

Also, the JRJr and Layton run of Iron Man was the best the title ever had during this timeframe

Both of these were great, great runs. Makes me pine for the 80's

GI Joe

+1

The best thing about GI Joe was the string of awesome Mike Zeck covers. Series as a whole was ordinary.

From about 12-30 was a run I'd put up with almost anything, though it helped that I was really into the figures around this time. My first issue was 21 - it was the book I really couldn't wait till the next issue of, and I collected the back issues like a madman.

Larry Hama was the writer for a long time and you could tell he was really "into it" and spent a lot of time and thought on each issue.