• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Best Marvel Run of the 1980s

Best Marvel Run of the 80s (Artist/Writer One Person  

435 members have voted

1. 1. Best Marvel Run of the 80s (Artist/Writer One Person

36 posts in this topic

Byrnes FF :cloud9:

Was a great time to be collecting as a kid as these series were at all time peaks IMO. Loved all of them but I'd go with:

1) Thor - Simonson run. Issues 370-382 actually were as good if not better than the first half and with Buscema drawing the series at that point, much more appealling to look at.

2) Byrne FF's. Lots of great memories and mini arc's, really great stuff.

3) Miller Daredevil - couldn't wait to get the next issue(s).

4) X-Men - So many great stories and cool villains.

5) Iron Man - right smack in the middle of Layton's work on the series, great stuff.

Miller's Daredevil was gritty and real.

Yeah - it was really powerful.

But it really jumped the shark with the resurrection of Elektra... thank goodness that was near the end of the run.

Simonson's Thor got my vote. I just re-read the whole run.

Miller's Daredevil was gritty and real.

Yeah - it was really powerful.

But it really jumped the shark with the resurrection of Elektra... thank goodness that was near the end of the run.

Simonson's Thor got my vote. I just re-read the whole run.

Tough choice for me between Miller DD and Simonson Thor. Simonson's Thor from Beta Ray Bill to the Destroyer arc was all enjoyable, and it was a complete transformation for the mag. I have been reading 300-336 and a lot of it is painful. Miller's DD on the other hand, that pushed the limits at that time and the action never stopped. Plus it created some great antagonists like the Kingpin and Bullseye. Miller really transformed DD as well. Both are amazing, but I had to go with DD.

Mike Zecks run on Captain America was pretty good. He put out a few classic covers for that title. (Cap 286)

I voted for FF even though Byrnes ego was just flaring up at that time. I liked how he returned the Thing back to his original form and was willing to try something different, like issue 252.

Was a great time to be collecting as a kid as these series were at all time peaks IMO. Loved all of them but I'd go with:

1) Thor - Simonson run. Issues 370-382 actually were as good if not better than the first half and with Buscema drawing the series at that point, much more appealling to look at.

2) Byrne FF's. Lots of great memories and mini arc's, really great stuff.

3) Miller Daredevil - couldn't wait to get the next issue(s).

4) X-Men - So many great stories and cool villains.

5) Iron Man - right smack in the middle of Layton's work on the series, great stuff.

I'd have to go with X-Men in the 80's, cemented their popularity in that decade.

Iron Man, Captain America and of Course Spidey was solid too.

I could never get into the Byrne FF (liked his Alpha Flight better) and thought the Simonson Thor was not to my taste at all.