• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All-American Comics 53 9.4+ (WARNING)

5 posts in this topic

Greggy brought this auction to my attention, and I felt compelled to post a warning here.

All-American 53 9.4+

I am 99.9% certain that this is the book listed on the census as a Restored 9.6. The Restored book was at the Portland show last February and I spent nearly an hour haggling with the owner about a price. I spent a lot of time looking over the book, and I am 99.9% certain this is that copy. After an hour looking over the centering, the staple placement, the color flecks and so on, a book like this tends to make an impression.

It is possible that the current seller is unaware of the status of the book. I have no idea how many owners it has had since February, or when it was cracked form its case. But be extremely cautious about bidding on this book.

Their is no specific disclaimer in his ad about the book being cleaned & pressed. He uses ABBREVIATIONS discretely. "No res.... etc." Very ambiguous. Could mean no reserve auction, not no other resto.

I saw this and was planning to post something about it here as well...

My first thought on seeing this auction was, "why in the world would anyone sell this raw?...unless it's restored."

Greggy has a stronger opinion about the seller than I do...

But I have no doubt this is the exact same copy I almost bought in February...

And frankly he's not even doing a good enough job of disguising it... I mean who in their right mind would sell this book without a reserve??? At least if he had put a reserve on it, more people might believe the book was genuine... I look at a no-reserve auction of an raw item that should fetch 10-large and really have to wonder...

I tend to agree with you guys that it looks far too pretty to be unslabbed. I also have to say that the scan looks absolutely beautiful. I am doubtful yet oddly hopeful.