• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is ebay's store fee structure going to hurt moderns?

7 posts in this topic

I know I'm probably a distinct minority, but while I do buy moderns with the intent of reading them, in the back of my mind factored into what I'm willing to pay has been the notion that if I don't want them anymore I can stick them in my store for some price, generally sufficiently below cover, of course. I have no delusions that copies of Goon or Conan or Infinity Crisis are going to go for cover. And that has also led me to be more freespending when it comes to fishing moderns out of the 50 cent/$1 box too, which is an important way that shops recoupe some of their lost money when they make an ordering mistake. And I'd guess that some comic shops used ebay to move overstock as well via ebay stores.

Well, I won't be buying any more moderns with the notion that I can read them and stick them up on ebay. Considering that I think a good story/art is only worth a buck for pure reading, tops, that's going to mean less chance taking, less buying.

Is ebay's greedy move going to put a damper on circulation numbers, perhaps take some of the steam out of the recent growth? Sure, many books are sold with no aftermarket intentions, but if the aftermarket is a factor in 10-15% of sales, it could be a problem.

That's going to be hard to measure. I doubt many people are like the people on here who buy things with the side-dealing in the back of their mind. But having ebay be less profitable for stores selling directly will eventually filter down in some way.

Most store owners don't have time anyway. I have multiple stores dumping stuff on me.

Marc

W/190,000 items in its ebay store, I don't think this is all too helpful to MH overall! But i see your point.

Those shops (and my own) all benefit from people being able to pick up a lot of books in one place and get free shipping instead of having to buy $3 books here and there plus pay shipping on each one.

More auction sets is the way to go with $24.99 everyone's favorite new price point.

Marc

What are we talking about here - what's the new structure?

eBay fees going up for stores:

These Store Inventory format insertion fees take effect Aug. 22, 2006:

Starting Price- New Insertion Fee - Current Fee

$0.01 -- 24.99- 5¢ - 2¢

$25.00 and higher- 10¢ - 2¢

Some Store Inventory format final value fees also will also increase, effective Aug. 22, 2006:

Selling Price- New Final Value - Fee Current Fee

$0.01 -- 25.00- 10% - 8%

$25.01 -- 100.00- 7% - 5%

$100.01 -- 1,000.00- 5% (no change)- 5%

$1,000.01 and higher- 3% (no change)- 3%