• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much of a premium for Crippen books?

30 posts in this topic

I am looking through the Heritage auction and I notice a few Crippen books that I REALLY want. What do you suspect the multiple of Overstreet they will be selling for? Will they go for the level of Mile High books?

What about "lower" grade GA books in say the 7.5 - 8.5 range, would they still go for multiples or are the high grade collectors not interested in those books? Lets say, for example, a "non-key" GA book is in Overstreet for about $150 in 8.0, would you suspect a Crippen 8.0 to go quite a bit over the Overstreet price?

They absolutely will not go for Church multiples, nor do I think they'll even go for Larson multiples. I think the odds are high that any Crippen book under a 9.2 (and there are a LOT of those) will go for the exact same price it would've sold for had it not been a pedigree. I don't know of any "D Copy" collectors, and given that the overall quality of this collection is comfortably lower than that of the Church books, I don't think a premium is deserved.

I do not believe that the mere fact that a book is from the Crippen collection will increase its value at all. The grade of the book will determine its value. Some of the higher graded and less common Crippen books will get multiples. The others will not. The pedigrees that command multiples of guide based on their pedigree designation alone are those that are known for the consistently exceptional quality of the books (e.g., Church, Reilly, Denver, Allentown, etc.). The Crippen collection is not known for its exceptional quality.

I agree with those comments. My only worry is some of the books (eg Lulus poke2.gif) are not well represented in other pedigrees and therefore may see multiples of Guide prices (although as mentioned, it may not be any more than a non-pedigree would fetch in the same grade).

I agree, the quality of the D books is not that great, but there are many hard to find books and a few are in high enough grade to drive a high price. For example, the early Detectives which are lower grade but very desirable. Also, the Batman 37 in 8.5, very nice. I would not be surprised to see it at $2500. Breaking $3k would be higher than I expect. Definitely a lot of stuff I am watching ...

I agree with those comments. My only worry is some of the books (eg Lulus poke2.gif) are not well represented in other pedigrees and therefore may see multiples of Guide prices (although as mentioned, it may not be any more than a non-pedigree would fetch in the same grade).

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuuttttttt up 27_laughing.gif Actually, not much of a secret which books I am interested in I guess 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I REALLY wish this took place BEFORE Chicago so I could have a better idea of how much money I have to spend at the con.

There are just sooo many books, and none of the Crippen books have reserves? This is definitely the biggest and best GA selection Heritage has offered in years, and I'm hoping a few books here and there fall through the cracks...the BSD's can't buy everything all at once, can they!?!? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

There are just sooo many books, and none of the Crippen books have reserves? This is definitely the biggest and best GA selection Heritage has offered in years, and I'm hoping a few books here and there fall through the cracks...the BSD's can't everything all at once, can they!?!? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I'm hoping for that, too!

I think there will be a decent premium on these books as there are a number of Timely's in 7.5-9.2 grade that you don't see for sale very often.

True. But these books would command the same premium with or without the Crippen designation. Gotta love the wonderful world of collecting Timelys. I don't see any additional premium added to any books specifically because they are "D" copies.

hello all...

I believe the 'tec 35 in 5.5 guides for about $3K?...I have already bid $10 K ( $12K with BP) and have been outbid (going to have to dig a little deeper)...that is about 4x guide, so some books will definitely sell for big premiums that are sub 9.0, etc

rick

Heritage made a fairly big marketing mistake (IMHO),when they released the scope of the collection.A lot of collectors will be playing the wait and see game for specific favorites to possibly be released at a later date.The worst part is that some collectors will be waiting for books that are not even part of the collection anymore.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

p.s.there will probably be some deals to be had.

Heritage made a fairly big marketing mistake (IMHO),when they released the scope of the collection.A lot of collectors will be playing the wait and see game for specific favorites to possibly be released at a later date.The worst part is that some collectors will be waiting for books that are not even part of the collection anymore.GOD BLESS...

I'm not too sure about that Jimbo as most of the books that are up for sale are pretty much sure bets and I expect new GPA price records to be set. I think there will be a handful of deals but not many. The amount of quality GA stuff that has hot the market this year is staggering and I don't prices have suffered at all, just my 2 cents. hi.gif

Jimbo;

A definite possibility that this could happen with the lower demand books, but I believe collectors will still be going after the seldom seen or higher demand books.

The best deals will probably be in the 6,500 raw books they are planning to sell in this collection. I guess it's going to depend on how tight their grading is on the raw books.

We all have a couple of books that we alone love and no one else seems to care for.This would be a good time to go for those.Maybe someone with the computer savvy could create a database of what these all go for,then again,I suppose I could just type Crippen in to the Heritage archives.GOD BLESS...

Just for the collective knowledge.......

I have obtained "D" copies mainly in 1992 and 1997 and mainly from Steve F.

Copies I have

Capt Battle 3

Book of All Comics

Four Favorites 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 24

Headline Comics 5, 6. 7. 10

Pep 17

Super Mystery 5/2

Wonder Comics 1, 4, 5, 7, 8. 10, 11,12, 17

Yellow Jacket 10

Sky Rocket 1

True Aviation Comics 1

I got the books not because they were "D" copies but mainly due to the covers and I collected the Wonder and Four Favorites runs......

jon