• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San Diego tale of woe

137 posts in this topic

Have any of the "real" lawyers chimed in on this?

Chris is a "real" lawyer and he just explained to you that it would be unwise for a "real" lawyer to chime in with legal analysis at this point in time.

I was referring to me not being a real lawyer. I had no idea that Chris is a lawyer.

I must have missed the secret handshake.

Thanks for explaining what Chris said. I am not sure that I could have figured it out without your help. hail.gifflowerred.gif

There is a big difference between legal analysis and legal advlce. I have given no advice and am entitled to my opinion in America.

Lemur, you crack me up.. you get all worked up over nothing..this is why people get on your case. It's fun to see you flip out.

You should see my stand up routine.

I am glad that you and the bro seem to be able to give AND take. thumbsup2.gif

My 2 cents like it or not:

Yesterday my friend and I went to a rifle range. We got 6 boxes of ammo and were supposed to pay after firing. We fired for 2 hours and when we checked out we were only charged $30 for range fees. We got outside and realized the screw up. We went back in and explained their oversight and paid the extra $100. We both agreed we did the right thing.

Am I a "good" person? Depends. I've also bought items on eBay that were misspelled or poorly listed for way below what I think they were worth. Or someone selling something that is way below what I think the value is. I don't make it a habit to contact sellers and say I feel guilty buying this for less than what I think the value is. I look for deals! How many people on here pick up items cheaper than they should be and contact the seller and offer them more?

Granted this is more than a $100 or 2 mistake. But is it wrong because he knew he was getting a deal? If I list a Hulk #181 on eBay 9.8 for $35 B.I.N. and you buy it, I send it to you and then contact you to realize it should have been more what would you do? What if you didn't know it should be more, does that make a difference?

I probably would have taken the money back with the compensation offered in this case. But to call the guy who bought it a "scumbag" and the ranting going on makes me wonder. I'm sorry, I can't berate the guy for buying it. I've given it quite a bit of thought and I can't really jump on the bandwagon. If you've never bargain hunted or bought an item for less than value I commend you. But would you return or send me more money for that Hulk #181? Just my 2 cents.

The problem that most of you can't see is that it's all about what happened between the consignor and seller.

Thank you. Anybody with any thought waves can see it.

It's a logic and legal question.

Just my luck. Brother whiners. Neither one makes sense.

except to the other.

*sighs*

again. not a legal issue. that's pretty cut and dried.

it's a moral issue; as in "hey, let me try to rectify an honest mistake here instead of getting a sweet payout." my take is that the buyer did nothing legally wrong, but he's a scumbag for not letting Spider9698 make it right with an extremely generous offer. i mean, if the buyer goes along with the deal offered, he gets his money back and a $4k piece for free. hello?

maybe i'm just a bigger believer in good karma. maybe i have the luxury of being hypothetical, i dunno. it seems as though anyone defending the buyer's actions here either have a limited understanding of how the transaction went down, or could not care less about being a stand up guy in the face of a potentially lucrative albeit mistaken transaction. the first i can understand, it's poor reading comprehension or mental lazines... the second is just too mercenary for me to "get"

Hi, I'm not an OA collector at all. I just wandered in here and took a look around and ended up reading some of this thread. In my opinion, the responsibility and major screwup here is on the part of the previous owner of the piece. To hand someone, even a friend, a few pieces of art worth thousands, and then verbally tell them the sales price and terms I believe is irresponsible and naive. The actual seller in this case I believe did nothing wrong, however he should have asked for more clearly marked/labeled pricing information just to avoid something like this occuring. I mean couldn't the owner have placed a price sticker on the front or back or somewhere? I mean geez, we are talking about something priced at the value of a nice used car here.

Regarding the buyer? Yeah, he can be a good guy or a bad guy. He chose to be a bad guy and I understand that this is not the popular choice. If I was the buyer and I was contacted right away about the screwup, yeah, I'd return it. But I'll tell ya' one thing. I might flip it right away or try not to be found so that I couldn't be contacted. It's always easy to say what you would have done or how you would have acted after the fact. But when struck with greed, it is surprising how people change.

Hummm ... gasoline is at an all time high in North America and oil companies are raking in unheard of profits. Maybe they should take less profits and give us a break at the pumps? Not in the USofA they won't.

I'm thinking the buyer is not a "bad" person. He's been trained by the capitalist system. Given all the overpaying I've endured on Mile High's web site, buying a "guaranteed 8.0" raw Iron Man #1 on eBay (which graded a 4.5), etc, I think I might be inclined to run not walk after buying a mislabelled piece at a huge discount. If I personally knew the seller I would make it right, if he was a board member here that I've taked with I would return the piece ... but if it's some unknown dealer at a Con? No way I'd return it. Mind you I would ask the deal to confirm this was the right price and if he said yes ... gone.

Ubie X

PS and not to just pick on you folks south of the border cause Canadian oil companies are gouging us just as bad up here!

The original buyer should facilitate the return of the item to you. Everyone can be made whole again. Greed should be recognized for what it is and banished from the face of the earth. sumo.gif

Now let's turn to Lebanon . . . frown.gif

I am not my brother's keeper.

Your not? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I'll have to write that one down. angel.gif

I'm glad I'm not his brother. yeahok.gif

Regarding the buyer? Yeah, he can be a good guy or a bad guy. He chose to be a bad guy and I understand that this is not the popular choice.

This sums up the moral side of the argument. Things do balance out in the long run. Always. and something good should happen to the sellers. at least lets hope.

Between this and the stolen Green Lantern 1 what horror stories will come out of Chicago?