• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FOR THOSE WHO GREW UP IN THE 60's

42 posts in this topic

and I guess early 70's (I don't remember them so much on comics when I was little in the mid and late 70's), did any of you actually sell Grit or those silly seeds and cash in on those fantasmagorical prizes? And if so, were they total doo doo?

Seriously, I've never heard of anyone even selling that stuff, but the companies must have spent hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, advertising on all those back covers for so many years.

I know my older brother used to occasionally order some of the novelty stuff advertised in comics, but that's something else.

Funny, I was looking through some old comics the other day and saw those ads for Grit, and thought about starting a topic asking if anyone ever sold it. I never did. Even at a young age, I knew the claims of easy money were BS.

(Slightly OT)

In all honesty, i want a pair of Rip-Offs. I think they'd be incredibly popular if they were to have a producer today. The right advertising and they could make a huge comeback.

and I guess early 70's (I don't remember them so much on comics when I was little in the mid and late 70's), did any of you actually sell Grit or those silly seeds and cash in on those fantasmagorical prizes? And if so, were they total doo doo?

Seriously, I've never heard of anyone even selling that stuff, but the companies must have spent hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, advertising on all those back covers for so many years.

I know my older brother used to occasionally order some of the novelty stuff advertised in comics, but that's something else.

Yup...I sold seeds up and down my street when I was quite young...I also sold Grit when I was around 12 years old...both turned out to be profitable ventures that allowed me to buy plenty of comics and candy...Gawd...life was good... cloud9.gif

Yup...I sold seeds up and down my street when I was quite young...I also sold Grit when I was around 12 years old...both turned out to be profitable ventures that allowed me to buy plenty of comics and candy...Gawd...life was good... cloud9.gif

Seed and Grit $$ bought my comics every week. The seeds were a big hit with the older people in my neighborhood.

Former sales rep for The American Seed Company here. Selling those seeds was a real learning experience for me. For one thing, I learned that I really hate sales. I wound up buying most of them myself, and I didn't sell more than the first box that they sent me. As I recall, I cashed it in for their movie projector (second prize from the top left in the picture below). What a hunk of junk!

By the way, can I interest anybody in some marigold seeds from the silver age? smile.gif

DetectiveComics302b_sm.jpg

I can tell you in order what me and my 2 older brothers picked from all our sales.

Started with the ...

Pup tent

hunting set ( we wanted the daisy guns but mom said no)

walkie talkies

Wrist watches ( which we bought for christmas gifts for mom and dad)

I think the next thing was the guitar which hooked my older brother Jim on being a Guitar player rest of his life.

There was more but I forget rest of the order..

I sold Christmas Cards from the back of some magazine(Boys Life?)for a few years.After hours and days of going house to house,I ended up with about 20 boxes sold,all to my family and immediate neighbors.Next two years,I skipped the house to house and sold just about the same amount. I remember I got $1 a box, and $20 went a long way in the summers of 69-72.When I started high school,I gave the valuable sales list to a younger kid and never looked back.

There was a kid on one of the bases I lived on that did sell Grit,though I wasn't friends with him.

Former sales rep for The American Seed Company here. Selling those seeds was a real learning experience for me. For one thing, I learned that I really hate sales. I wound up buying most of them myself, and I didn't sell more than the first box that they sent me. As I recall, I cashed it in for their movie projector (second prize from the top left in the picture below). What a hunk of junk!

By the way, can I interest anybody in some marigold seeds from the silver age? smile.gif

DetectiveComics302b_sm.jpg

" Send NO MONEY . We Trust You ." 27_laughing.gif

(Slightly OT)

In all honesty, i want a pair of Rip-Offs. I think they'd be incredibly popular if they were to have a producer today. The right advertising and they could make a huge comeback.

Off topic posts like this are interfering with the in-depth comic discussions around here and are destroying the very fabric of the hobby itself. Stop it.