• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Nice Scam on ebay

32 posts in this topic

Ebay link

Detective in the title and two random old books so it looks like the seller doesn't know what he's doing. Nearly perfect. Easily too good to be true but there's a sucker that'll pay $500+ I'm sure.

Notice its "about" 10 x 7

The reprint is close to 10 x 7 as well and gives him wiggle room. I don't remember the cover art changes that were the give aways. The tin roof top pipe was one of them.

I'm betting that he's messing with the images.

Key detection points:

Batman's rope goes all the way to the top edge (i.e. it doesn't stop at the black border)

There is an edge to another structure located to the right of the stove pipe.

Compare:

819039048o.jpg

RADD25C4200671_92049.jpg

ce_1.JPG

Ebay link

Detective in the title and two random old books so it looks like the seller doesn't know what he's doing. Nearly perfect. Easily too good to be true but there's a sucker that'll pay $500+ I'm sure.

I could say with certainty this is a scam and the seller knows exactly what he is doing. Nice touch to find it in a cellar and not an attic.

I posted a question to the seller indicating that this book was a reprint based off of the detection points. I kindly asked if they would rephrase the auction description to indicate the book is a reprint. I'm very curious to see what kind of response, if any, I get.

-Bob

Alrighty, so I got a response, only I made the mistake of not withholding my e-mail address upon question submission so I don't think my question and the seller's answers will appear on the auction. If you're interested, here's what was said:

Me:

Hi, the Detective 27 you have up for auction IS indeed a reprint. On the cover of the original comic, there is a structure to the right of the smokestack on the bottom right hand corner and Batman's rope goes through the black stripe to the top right hand corner.

Could you please rephrase the text of your auction to state that this is a Detective 27 reprint?

Seller responds:

I had no idea,it did not state that

This cover is exact in every detail.I compared to many computer images,no differences whatsoever

I know there's a website that shows how to spot a fake Action #1 but do you know if there is one for Detective 27? Do you think I should send the seller a link to this thread?

Thanks,

-Bob

If he compared it to other computer images of Detective 27, then he knows what he has. Why wouldn't he feature it in the title? Scam!

I wrote him too, asking why he doesn't mention the issue number in the title, and why this is the only auction in which the bidders' IDs are kept private.

Only a fool would believe that a 'Tec 27 would be found in a stash that otherwise includes only a couple of random SA books. The least scammers like this could do is purchase some low grade less desirable books from 1938-1940 and throw their bogus 'Tec 27 in the mix, to get some real speculation going.