• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action #1 in the July Sig Auction

12 posts in this topic

This is up in the July Heritage Auction:

Front - http://images.heritagecoin.com/images/hnai/300/807/807052014o.jpg

Back - http://images.heritagecoin.com/images/hnai/300/807/807052014r.jpg

There are TWO HOLES PUNCHED THROUGH THE THING! And the blue label only mentions color touch and glue!

I wonder how high this will go?

I wonder why it's not a Qualified FN or VG? Same exact problem present with that TOS #1 9.2 (Q) that's been on ebay a couple of times.

B/c the TOS would have been a NM- were it not for the holes, whereas this one was not high grade, excluding the holes (FN or VG as you surmised above). I believe qualified grades are given for books that would be high grade were it not for a single defect. How high is "high"...I don't know, but I don't recall seeing any Q grades below 9.0.

I really like the use of Q grades, when applied to otherwise high grade books (9.0 or above) with a single outstanding defect (punch holes, large piece out of interior page, detached staples common on early 70's DC's, etc.,.).

I know some of the conspiracy theorists like to lambast the concept as CGC/sellers/dealers just trying to suck money out of the consumer with a faux "high grade", but "9.2 NM- (Q - 3 staple holes)" is an exponentially more descriptive grade than "G 2.0". As a collector of classic covers, I personally love to buy Q books that look great in the bag but have a piece missing out of the interior or back cover, or other "hidden" defects that make the book affordable. wink.gif

I really like the use of Q grades, when applied to otherwise high grade books (9.0 or above) with a single outstanding defect (punch holes, large piece out of interior page, detached staples common on early 70's DC's, etc.,.).

I know some of the conspiracy theorists like to lambast the concept as CGC/sellers/dealers just trying to suck money out of the consumer with a faux "high grade", but "9.2 NM- (Q - 3 staple holes)" is an exponentially more descriptive grade than "G 2.0". As a collector of classic covers, I personally love to buy Q books that look great in the bag but have a piece missing out of the interior or back cover, or other "hidden" defects that make the book affordable. wink.gif

Totally agree with you Banner. But then the conspiracy theorists need as much material as possible to gripe about. As for that Action, it actually looks really good for a G+ grade. Wouldn't be surprised if it hit 50 or 60K.

Totally agree with you Banner. But then the conspiracy theorists need as much material as possible to gripe about. As for that Action, it actually looks really good for a G+ grade. Wouldn't be surprised if it hit 50 or 60K.

The gripe that I have on these blue label books with restoration is that it doesn't list if the restoration is ameteur or professional. If I'm not mistaken, professional restoration can be removed (easily?) and ametuer restoration can't. It would be nice to know that on a book of this caliber.

I dunno how high this book will go...

But I do know I want to get me one of them Yacht Caps... they're "Just what every real boy is wearing."

It looks better than G+ because those punch holes have been assigned to a grade in this case (mid grade book/blue label)

The gripe that I have on these blue label books with restoration is that it doesn't list if the restoration is ameteur or professional. If I'm not mistaken, professional restoration can be removed (easily?) and ametuer restoration can't. It would be nice to know that on a book of this caliber.

I guess that all restoration in blue label books can be considered professional since blue labels are given only to books with removable restoration.

Quote from sborock:

"CGC, since before it's inception, has always stated that, at CGC's discretion, golden age comics with the most minor color touch and/or the most minor glue will be given a blue label but the very minor glue/color touch will ALWAYS be noted on the label. The comic grade will be lowered one step on the grading scale for this because the "work" done to the book is so minor that if removed , it would only change the grade by one step if at all."

I would probably prefer a nice restored copy without the holes and in a little better shape to that one. have you guys seen the DC 27 that is up in July? It looks like used toilet paper. I would be embarrased to show that book to my friends and tell them that I spent $40k on it! For some books restoration is a great thing!

DAM