• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What can be done about this?

13 posts in this topic

I have a copy of Visual Basic 5 Enterprise Edition full version on EBay. It is hanging at 50 bucks, I saw a guy with the professional version had his near 100 bucks. Something seemed wrong so I started looking at his auction and found This. The guy is obviously shilling his auction and if he gets another bid I think I am going to scream. Anyway, the question is, can anything be done about it or will EBay just sit on their hands if notified?

Phil

Well that sux. I run a legit auction and take a screwing, while this guy plays his bidders like pawns, and will probably make out like a bandit. The Version I am selling sold for about $1200.00 new, the version he is selling sold for about $400.00 new. I hope he doesn't sell it and his bidder jumps ship and buys mine or another professional version from somebody else.

I just can't believe how rotten people are. My wife was watching some gameshow tonight called Russian Roulette I think, and one of the questions was "What is the least number of times the average person tells a lie in a day?" THE ANSWER WAS 25!!! shocked.gif I was stunned.

Phil

Phil, what a coincidence that the bidder pushing up the bid (0) signed up on Ebay, THE SAME DAY THAT THE AUCTION STARTED!!!!!

Yeah, it is obvious what the guy is doing. If EBay doesn't do something then they need to be fined or SOMETHING. They are essentially promoting fraud when they don't take action against this kind of stuff.

Phil

I understand that it looks like shilling, but is there any way to really know for sure?

I say this because I've held auctions in the past that looked just like this. One example was a relatively obscure novel, written by a fanfic author. My bid history must've looked like shill city, full of 0's and sunglasses, and the item went for WAY more than it was worth (my minimum was $5, and I was hoping to get $10, despite the fact that the book SUCKED. It went for $60). Was I shilling? Not a chance. I was staring in shock, wondering what was going on. Then I found out that someone had announced it on a mailing list dedicated to this fanfic writer. It seems all these people who wanted the book I was selling signed up for ebay, just to get it, because it was a first printing that had some controversial illustrations in it. Later printings had these excised.

A friend then gave me her copy of the same book (this one autographed) and I put it up for her. Same exact thing happened. A bunch of 0 bidders (some having lost their sunglasses because they'd bid on the other book a month prior) and a mad bidding war pushed that one above $80.

I didn't know about shilling back then, but I'm very glad no one reported me. It would have been a hassle and I was totally innocent of any wrongdoing. I can't control who bids, or if they have a history. In those cases and a few more (as sometimes I had items that people couldn't find easily), I must've looked very guilty to an outside eye.

I'm not implying this guy isn't shilling (he probably is). It's just that there can be legitimate reasons for strange bid histories.

-- Joanna

I reported him & I doubt this is the case since this item is nothing special tongue.gif If he's shilling, ebay will suspend his account (hopefully), if he isn't no harm done. I don't see where the hassle is? It's not like ebay is going to just take our word for it. They look into bid histories, IP addresses, etc before pulling the plug.

Joanna - it sounds like in your scenario - you had a one- of -a-kind item and connections in the industry that would cause these "newbies" to come out of the woodworks to bid for it. For some software that can be pirated (sorry Phil - I don't "buy" software often enough to know for sure ) off cnet.com or kazaa.com or shareware boards...the bid history that ricky brought up is highly suspicious.

What happened to the bid histories with the zip codes? that would tell you if someone in their own town (possibly their neighbor) was bidding it up for the seller.

Yes, I know that my auction was a weird case. I guess it was more the realization that had anyone been thinking shill and seen that auction (for a really terrible book. Not only was it poorly written, my cat had chewed the corner of it! So it was in thrashed condition) I wouldn't blame them if they'd cried shill to ebay. It really looked like it! And yet it was totally genuine. That's why I hesitate sometimes when I see the talk of shilling. There can be exceptions. That said, I've agreed with every example brought up here. They all looked like a major shill-a-thon.

-- Joanna

I say this because I've held auctions in the past that looked just like this.

I had a Sopranos DVD set and an X-Files dvd set and both had zero feedback multiple bids and I was freaking out thinking "Og great - I can hear it now!" I guess sometimes it just happens.

The very first item I ever bid on at ebay was an original half-sheet moviue poster the to Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes film THE SCARLET CLAW. Easily one of the most collected of the series. Well, it had a reserve and I was high bidder at about $50 under reserve. SO the seller wrote me and asked if I wanted to just up my bid by $50 and take it. I had absolutely no ebay experience and thought I was being scammed so I ignored it. Too bad cause if I wanted to get it today (and I would like that) I would have to pay at least triple that bid. Live and learn! lol!