• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did the silver age end?

13 posts in this topic

Ah... the collorary to the What Book Began the Bronze Age? meta-question! cloud9.gif My answer is the Silver Age officially ended with the final (consecutive) Jack Kirby Fantastic Four, #102, in September 1970.

But for the record, I still say the Bronze Age slightly overlapped the end of the Silver Age, beginning January 1970 with the first O'Neil/Adams issue of Detective Comics, #395! sumo.gif

Cheers,

Z.

I normally assume the end was when Marvel put out the double sized 25 cent issues right between "Still only 15 cents" and the 20 cent issues. So many things changed within a few months in either direction of that I figure it is as good a divider as any.

-Rival

don't say that too loudly, there are many on here that will live and die by the sword of saying conan #1 was the start of the bronze age. with your theroy, the .25 cent giant size issue for the conan run i believe was conan #10. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gifwink.gifgossip.gif

Uh-huh. No arguments there - Bronze age started in October 1970 with Conan 1, GL/GA 76 and Superman's Pal Jimmy Olson 133.

Silver may overlap slightly, but it really ended with Kirby leaving Marvel and Schwartz handing over Green Lantern to Denny O'Neil.

Kev

I always heard Conan #1 so that is what i judge to be it but i am open to other arguments. I used to believe that FF #1 started the silver age but i have since changed my mind. I believe now that Showcase # 4 started it. Just like the Golden age, DC started the silver age. But also like the golden age, Marvel perfected it! 893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif