• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just made a mistake!

24 posts in this topic

So, I log onto EBAY tonight, and notice a Captain America #4 with a "buy it now" of only $385. Low grade with restoration, but nice paper. I checked Ebay's history and noticed that this book had sold for $600 via "buy it now" about 10 days ago. The first auction listing didn't mention any type of restoration, so I thought "what the heck" and did a buy it now.

First auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=68&item=2177628553

My purchase:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=68&item=2179061067

2 things of note here:

I checked Heritage after I sent him a Paypal, thinking that a restored copy should be worth at least $500, right?

That's when I notice 2 things!

1. The back cover is from another book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

2. The seller is the same guy selling that Action #43 with the brilliant scan that lighthouse bought.

Talk about bad luck!

I did read the ad 3 times and there is no mention of it being the wrong back cover; hopefully since I've emailed the seller and begged him to refund my money and relist, there won't be any problems.

Stay tuned... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

So, I log onto EBAY tonight, and notice a Captain America #4 with a "buy it now" of only $385. Low grade with restoration, but nice paper. I checked Ebay's history and noticed that this book had sold for $600 via "buy it now" about 10 days ago.

The book never really sold for $600 since the same seller listed it both times. Looks like someone hit that buy-it-now the first time and then backed out of the deal.

Shield,

No you did not make a mistake. The seller did mention some minor restoration, they DID NOT, however, mention that the back cover was neither the original NOR the correct replacement. You did not make a mistake, you were misled and deserve your money back. The difference between "some spine work and a new staple" and the replacement of the back cover with THE WRONG ONE, is astronomical. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome. 893censored-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gifmad.gif

24 hours and no word back from the seller. This is driving me nuts. I've thought about it all day, and you're right Elvis, that's the same conclusion I came up with. I hopped onto this thread tonight and noticed someone rated it 3 stars. I got excited thinking I would have 3 stars for some reason. I have no idea, but I think I'd feel better with more stars! How does one get them, anyway?

P.S. Elvis you made me feel better so I rated you 5 stars. Stars rock!

Cool! Shoot me over $25; I gave you a 5 star.

Seriously though, I still have yet to hear back from the seller. Here's my 3rd email to him:

"Hello, It's been 3 days since I won this book from you. immediately after I won, I checked out Heritage as I was curious what a restored copy might fetch if it were graded. That's when I realized this book had the wrong back cover. As I have emailed to you previously, that is a MAJOR problem as that makes this a "married" incomplete copy, and I bid on what you described as a low grade slightly restored, but complete copy. I'm very puzzled as to why I haven't heard from you at all for 3 solid days, but I will give it another week. If I haven't heard back from you I will be forced to dispute the charge with Paypal.

Let's do the right thing here; simply refund my money to me; I'm quite sure you didn't realize the back cover was from another book, either.

I would like to amicably work this out so everyone is happy. I feel by my contacting you right away (within 15 minutes of payment, and all within 30 minutes of the auction ending) and letting you know of the MAJOR discrepancy with the book should have made this a painless process to correct. After all, I read the auction description 3 times, and believed to be bidding on a complete, albeit low grade and with minor amateur restoration, but still complete original copy of Captain America #4. However, it is now an incomplete / Married copy of that book, and nowhere near the same. I'm sure you understand, and I hope you've just been out of town. I am concerned as I’ve yet to receive any piece of email from you or any correspondence, and it’s been 3 full days.

Again, you should be able to login into paypal and simply refund the payment and relist the book.

I have tested all of my email accounts thoroughly and they are all working just fine; please contact me ASAP so we can move forward.

Thanks,

Shawn

Please reply back to this email"

What do you think?

Not sure...

I just received the book today in the mail, so he had to have noticed my other emails to get my address.

@#$@#$@#$%@#

Now what should I do? I've emailed him back, but apparently he was looking to dump this on someone else and run. This isn't fair at all!

Holy Crud. That's definitely not a good sign. I'd probably file with Paypal now since he's not responding to emails. It still could be an honest mistake and maybe he is out of town, but I'd go ahead and start the process anyway. If Paypal pulls the funds from him and gives them back to you, then you can simply mail his book back to him.

Not sure. I had a purchased a Pep #19 a while back that the seller claimed was a F/VF. I get it and the top half of the back cover is missing. While the seller and I debated over this, I went ahead and tried to get my money back with Paypal.

I did pay with a credit card, but here's what happened: Basically Paypal told me because he sent something there was nothing they could do.

I'll give it a couple of days, start the process with EBAY/Paypal.

The seller will get negged if he doesn't want to cooperate; he only has one neg out of 700 or so feedback.

Shawn

I filed a complaint with Paypal; it is in dispute. Hopefully this will be able to be resolved peacefully; I did pay with a Visa through Paypal.

If Paypal cannot help me out in such a clear cut discrepancy; I will refuse to use Paypal in the future and I will cancel my service. sumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

If you payed by credit card through paypal, can't you go directly through your credit card company & bypass paypal. I was recently screwed over in a paypal deal & paypal basically said that since I received the goods, no matter how misgraded, they would not get involved & turned down my complaint. I paid directly thru my bank account. I think if you pay thru your credit card I would call the card company asap & have them handle it, probably get much better results.

File a dispute with your CC company. On the claims they'll send you indicate that the seller misrepresented the item, and then wouldn't agree to an amicable situation thus leaving you out a couple hundred dollars on the cause of this misrepresentation. The C.C. will most likely side with you unless he can prove that that book is worth 600 dollars.

Brian

Not sure...

I just received the book today in the mail, so he had to have noticed my other emails to get my address.

@#$@#$@#$%@#

Now what should I do? I've emailed him back, but apparently he was looking to dump this on someone else and run. This isn't fair at all!

That sure does suck about this seller and hard for me to beleive that he hasnt seen your emails.Probably since he wont work with you I would also start a insurance fraud complaint thru ebay as it is not at all what he claims it to be.I think you have to wait 30 days or so before you can do that.It is at least another option if your credit card doesnt work your way.That way maybe you could sell the book for maybe what it really is worth.Maybe also let this seller know that there is a CGC board and we are siding with you in this case and maybe he should consider refunding you your money back.I would definitely neg him if he didnt work it out.Good Luck and Im sure youll keep us informed.

Davidking623

Therein lies the rub - My Credit Card company sees the charge come from Paypal. If I ask the credit card company to reverse charges on the Paypal transaction, Paypal will simply charge my "backup funding source". It's a mess.

By the way, I paid the $385 for this, not $600.

We'll take this one step at a time. I will NOT back down on losing $385 bucks though!

Well, I received a very brief email from the seller this morning.

"Send the book back for a refund" and an address.

The saddest thing about all this is the fact that it could've all been prevented. What did he think, I'd get the book, read the Captain America stories (which were quite good) and say "Ok, I'll keep it anyway"? I mean, c'mon...

Let's hope all's well that ends well! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif