• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jemas is a Tool!

17 posts in this topic

Hey I read wizard every month. I just see what they label as being "Hot." tongue.gif Although their price guide is off and their articles suck, I don't mind picking up a copy just to see what they are hyping up. Any comments Darth??? grin.gif

So what did you think of the Jemas interview? If I was the guy posing the questions and got mean-spirited and insulting responses like that, Marvel would need a new Head Doorknob to run their ship into the ground.

He makes me look like a saint, and has absolutely nothing nice to say about anyone or anything... other than his bum-buddy Bendis, and of course, comics with "Ultimate" in the title.

Plus, he keeps getting kudos for taking flagging businesses to profitabiity... for about 5 years after which profits sink (due to his "hit the easy wins/slash and burn" business model) and he runs off to "save" the next business.

Get ready for a wild read. About the only thing I can say positive about the interview is that the Wizard guy actually asked tough questions (why are comics so damn expensive, brought up speculation as a Marvel strategy, etc.) and that Jemas made no bones about his extremely short-term vision or that getting specs to lay down $30 for a just-printed Origin #1 was a forecasted and welcome event at Marvel.

Jemas must know that the consistent thumbing his nose at fans, speculators and readers alike is going to come back to haunt him, or maybe he is so egotistical to think he's immune?

Oh well, he probably already has a new job lined up in the next "industry that needs saving", so he can leave right before the hits the fan.

I read Wizard.... I'll take any info I can get, Tom.

CI - I read the piece. I thought they went easy on Jemas. They should have challenged him on Marvel's business plan to get out of debt, the stupid comment about 'fanboys living in the basement', the return to re-numbering (Cap relaunch) and gimmick covers (Marville), why he felt qualified to write a comic (Marville - a steaming pile of s#!*), the disrespectful addressing of DC as AOL comics etc, etc.

IMHO, Jemas has done one smart thing - hire Quesada. That's it.

It was more substantial than the average Wizard article. smile.gif

The Ditko article some issues back was good... and was voted their best article of the year. Just goes to show that Wizard could afford to raise the level of their articles and not lose readers.

I thought that Ditko article was really good, and definitely raised the bar for what Wizard can do in the future. As far as interviews go, that Jemas one was "tough by Wizard standards" and definitely a step in the right direction.

This guy's so short-term I doubt he knows what he had for breakfast.

Marvel has to be both short and long term - short because the books have to sell NOW, and long to gather ongoing fan base.

A tough proposition.... but so far, in general, the key factor is in place: the product quality is far better than 2 years ago.

I read the Jemas article as well and thought he was just putting up a front to be the Marvel Bad big boy. Total testosterone flying about, directed at his detractors (i.e., those that refer to him as a tool on online threads)

I don't give anything he said any real merit and take it all with a grain of salt. I've read differing views on Marvel's no-reprint policy. The latest CBG is against it and sees it as bad for the industry. Meanwhile retailers are forced to order more Marvel because they cant get anymore once they are done. It is a smart ploy for the short term and Jemas makes no apologies about it. He is paid for the quick fix and as long as he does that in the eyes of Marvel's top management, then he can play the tool all he wants.