• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey this guy has my Batman 3 on Ebay!

39 posts in this topic

Why can't Josh add a watermark to scans on his site to combat this type of stuff ?? - I don't know how that would work and I am sure it would be a big task....

This is actually a simple and automated task using Photoshop. There are even cheaper software packages on the net that can also do this. Not difficult at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can donate 1 cent and buy extremely cheap stamps, pirate cds and all kind of junk. Build up a great feedback in no-time. List some CGC and steal 10k-100k. Sounds like less trouble then any other crime.

No wonder Heritage get a away with their 20%!!!!

r

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

34% (15% seller; 19% buyer)

You can get the seller % easily down to 10% giving a bargain 29% 27_laughing.gif

I just double checked.

It's 34.5% (15% sellewr 19.5% buyer)

If you sell a few items and ask for their best rate they will knock the rate down to 10%. They did that for me on the August signature sale.

do people really get away with this kind of thing? seems it would be easy for the police to track this guy down. Paypal has to send a check or deposit the money someplace, checks and money orders need to be made out to somebody and deposited somewhere....

Why can't Josh add a watermark to scans on his site to combat this type of stuff ?? - I don't know how that would work and I am sure it would be a big task....

This is actually a simple and automated task using Photoshop. There are even cheaper software packages on the net that can also do this. Not difficult at all.

Except that Josh doesn't post most of the pics on CL. The seller does. I guess Josh could grab them once they've been posted on CL, drag them into Photoshop, add the watermark, then replace the seller's scan with the new scan that includes the watermark.

Sounds pretty labor intensive. I just looked, and over 250 new CGC books have been added just today. And that doesn't include raw books that have been added.

actually, Photoshop's batch function could do this easily. When poinyed to a specific folder it opens each file, performs the automated task, and closes it, one file at a time. The problem would be it would need to know which files to open and watermark, or else files that already hadve one would get another. So Josh would need consognors who post their own scans to place them in an "unwatermarked" folder, etc. Or, require that all consignors watermark EVERY scan prior to uploading to CLs site.

That would do the trick, assuming Josh wants to undertake the effort, or demand same from all consignors. depens on how serious the threat is I guess.

actually, Photoshop's batch function could do this easily. When poinyed to a specific folder it opens each file, performs the automated task, and closes it, one file at a time. The problem would be it would need to know which files to open and watermark, or else files that already hadve one would get another. So Josh would need consognors who post their own scans to place them in an "unwatermarked" folder, etc. Or, require that all consignors watermark EVERY scan prior to uploading to CLs site.

That would do the trick, assuming Josh wants to undertake the effort, or demand same from all consignors. depens on how serious the threat is I guess.

Actually, get a programmer to create a -script that auto adds the watermark at the time the photo is uploaded. This is completely automated and simple for someone (who knows what they're doing) to do.