• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suggestions on scanning some books

16 posts in this topic

OK, I finally gave in and got a scanner. (My old HP one no longer worked. )

What is a good way to scan some books to show here and where should I host them?

I tried to scan in a World's Finest, but it cropped the image too cleanly. (Looked like it had perfect smooth edges. :lol ) Leaving it in the bag showed reflections from the mylar. Should I place a larger sheet of paper behind it?

Is there a certain size I should save them at? (ie. so I don't have images too large, etc. )

I created an account at Photobucket but it seemed to take forever to upload the WF image. (It is around 17MB. )

I'm sure you get these questions a lot. I tried the Search Feature but probably didn't have enough patience.

OK, I finally gave in and got a scanner. (My old HP one no longer worked. )

What is a good way to scan some books to show here and where should I host them?

I tried to scan in a World's Finest, but it cropped the image too cleanly. (Looked like it had perfect smooth edges. :lol ) Leaving it in the bag showed reflections from the mylar. Should I place a larger sheet of paper behind it?

Is there a certain size I should save them at? (ie. so I don't have images too large, etc. )

I created an account at Photobucket but it seemed to take forever to upload the WF image. (It is around 17MB. )

I'm sure you get these questions a lot. I tried the Search Feature but probably didn't have enough patience.

Photobucket is great. thumbsup2.gif

I scan 200 dpi at 50%. Roughly I like about a 600 pixel width or so, and around a 1.5MB final file size. You can always go larger of course, but remember not everyone has broadband.

BTW, be sure and read the Photobucket FAQ page HERE

"Uploading images larger than our limit (1 MB for Free accounts, 2 MB for Pro accounts) only to have them automatically resized can also contribute to slowness when you are uploading."

So you can see that your 17MB file is huge, and after a very slow upload Photobucket will auto-reduce the size anyway, depending on your account type. wink.gif

Here's a random one on mine...

04_FF50FRT.jpg

Sheesh, now it's gone... God, when will it end?

Did your new scanner come with any type of image editing software? That's usually the middle step between scanning and saving/uploading to Photobucket.

A "rectangular selection tool" lets you "crop" the scan, leaving a nice (but small) "gutter" around all four sides of the comic. Then you can adjust the final file size by changing pixel dimensions (make sure you select "constrain proportions" so when you change one dimension the other dimension automatically changes too, or the image will distort).

Anyway, an image editing program is where you have complete control and can experiment with various "final" file sizes. Instead of trying to do it perfectly on the scanbed.

Well, I figured out what happened. (Where's the forehead slapping emoticon? ) I deleted the image from Photobucket afterward. (I didn't need a grade for a clearly Good 2.0 Conan #2. )

How do you host a picture here?

Below the space for revirewing your post you'll see the space to add a pic. Just browse your comp, find the pic(under 200K) and attached.

Once it is added you'll want to click the link to view the attachement

2)Save the URL

3)go back and "edit" your post

4) when editing your post hit the UBB Code for "Image" (top right row)

5) PASTE the URL you saved

6) Viola thats it.

1364274-orm-death_sketch.jpg.3b588f6808e8f9c2429a7bcdd1f26589.jpg