• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on ASM #11...

60 posts in this topic

Hey all -

Looking at Heritage's overstuffed San Diego offerings for July...I feel a little sick now. Overdosed on comic book images. tongue.gif

Anyway, I want some advice from the ASM HG experts. I am just getting into ASM's but know #11 is very hard to find in excellent condition. The NM- (owtwp) copy on Heritage looks pretty nice, but what's the market likely to be? Is $4-5K about right for that issue...or is that too much given a guide of $800. I might bid but won't even try if it's out of range, especially with the G-DD--NED 15% "juice".

Any thoughts on the topic - or on the particular issue at auction - is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Hey all -

Looking at Heritage's overstuffed San Diego offerings for July...I feel a little sick now. Overdosed on comic book images. tongue.gif

Anyway, I want some advice from the ASM HG experts. I am just getting into ASM's but know #11 is very hard to find in excellent condition. The NM- (owtwp) copy on Heritage looks pretty nice, but what's the market likely to be? Is $4-5K about right for that issue...or is that too much given a guide of $800. I might bid but won't even try if it's out of range, especially with the G-DD--NED 15% "juice".

Any thoughts on the topic - or on the particular issue at auction - is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

If you are talking ASM #11 CGC 9.2, that is a tough one to find and to call the price on. Only one unrestored sale on eBay in higher grade (9.4) in the last year -- went for $10,311. And only one 8.5 -- went for $599, quite a spread.

No 9.2 or 9.0 unrestored copies.

There have been a few #10's and #12's in 9.0, 9.2, and 9.4 in the same time.

#10 in 9.2 is going for about $1,500, 9.4 for about $4,100.

#12 in 9.0 is going for about $1,000, 9.4 for about $3,400 (no 9.2).

Wild guess for the price: $3,000 to $4,000.

Hey all -

Thanks,

Dan

If you are talking ASM #11 CGC 9.2, that is a tough one to find and to call the price on. Only one unrestored sale on eBay in higher grade (9.4) in the last year -- went for $10,311. And only one 8.5 -- went for $599, quite a spread.

No 9.2 or 9.0 unrestored copies.

There have been a few #10's and #12's in 9.0, 9.2, and 9.4 in the same time.

#10 in 9.2 is going for about $1,500, 9.4 for about $4,100.

#12 in 9.0 is going for about $1,000, 9.4 for about $3,400 (no 9.2).

Wild guess for the price: $3,000 to $4,000.

Dan, you are quite right,I have seen 9.2 of ASM 11 go for $3-4000.00..I would pay it,if i could find one.But getting back to the original post.dude, JUST BUY IT! you can't go wrong

Dan, this isn't meant to offend you but I know of at least 3 people that are planning on heavily bidding on the ASM 11..and I plan to put in a decent bid (I'm pretty certain I won't win it) as well. So if you're looking to buy it cheap, it more than likely won't happen. I'd guess based on what I heard it could easily hit 5,000.

Brian

Brian -

No offense at all. If I were really looking to buy an #11 on the cheap, I would not have brought it up on the forum! 893naughty-thumb.gifgrin.gif

I was just looking for a rough marketplace on a 9.2 copy so I can figure out how to distribute the few bids I'll be able to make on Heritage. Thanks to you and the others, it sounds like my 4-5K estimate is on the mark. (I was amazed also to see that a 9.6 went for $20,700 on Heritage last fall!)

I may bid on this copy - $5000 doesn't sound completely out of line - but will likely focus on other books I'm really interested in.

I will certainly check out Marnin's site as well. Thanks muchly,

Dan

JUST BUY IT! you can't go wrong

Just a note of caution on this one drummy. Although as people have rightly said ASM #11 is a very tough book in true NM, it is not a key issue. In fact it is one of the least important Spidey books in the first 20 issues. So although its a tough book, the market for it as an issue in itself is smaller than those around it.

I guess what I am saying is don't get blinded by the 'scare in high grade' thing.

People often criticise #28 for being only desirable because of its toughness in grade, but at least that book has a character first appearance.

Bear in mind also that ASM #11 is not a tough book in VF+, hence the huge price spreads in thecomicsheets data.

My feeling is the book is currently overvalued in super high grade.

It's not a key but it's not the least important book in the early 20's, it's the 2nd appearance of Doc Ock who's always been a popular villain. It has a pretty good cover with darker colors. It's easily just as or more important than; 7, 8, 10, 12, 16, 19.

And you underestimate the amount of people just trying to build a high grade 1-20 collection, some of which aren't even ASM collectors (other than wanting 1-20).

Brian

Hey just out of curiosity guys as most of you know I have an ASM #11 in CGC 9.0 I have seen the priced for 8.5s, 9.2s and one or two 9.4s but I have never seen a 9.0 sell. Does anyone have any market data on a 9.0 or a good guess? Remember a 9.0 is still high grade but is affordable so if it is a $800 book I would guess $1600. Am I wrong in guessing 2X is a fair price. And no it's not for sale it's sitting right next to my Avengers #9 DD #7 X-Men #11 and TOS #49 smile.gif27_laughing.gif

Have a good weekend,

Ericc123

A book doesn't need to be a key to be worth something,your paying for the rarity,most people like spider-man and most people rare books,it's under valued in the price guide,whats over priced is the spidey 19 (i think) but whats also undervalued is ASM 28,JIM's, DD 7 ect..that's why when you find 9.2/9.4+ CGC copies,the market drives the prices up cause no one can find the darn thing in NM

Last 9.0 I saw sell on ebay went to comic-keys for around $800-$900; he sniped me on it in early 2002. This was a day or two after he had sold a pristine 9.6 raw copy of the same book for around $2600. The buyer of that book sent it to CGC and it came back restored...he's one of the 5 others I knew of whose names I never posted here. But he's one of the biggest Spidey/FF collectors on the planet and his name is probably known by every Silver Marvel collector here, although he doesn't post that I know of.

Last 9.0 I saw sell on ebay went to comic-keys for around $800-$900; he sniped me on it in early 2002. This was a day or two after he had sold a pristine 9.6 raw copy of the same book for around $2600. The buyer of that book sent it to CGC and it came back restored...he's one of the 5 others I knew of whose names I never posted here. But he's one of the biggest Spidey/FF collectors on the planet and his name is probably known by every Silver Marvel collector here, although he doesn't post that I know of.

I know who your talking about here,he's a nice guy,Bought a 9.4 Spidey 29 from him a while back. kevin

It has a pretty good cover with darker colors. It's easily just as or more important than; 7, 8, 10, 12, 16, 19.

I didn't say it was THE least important book in the first 20, but ONE of the least. I would argue that 10 (1st enforcers/big man), 12 (first Spidey unmasking), and 16 (1st Daredevil meeting) are all more important than 11.

That said, the fact that it is an early hard to find Spidey makes it very disirable to collectors, there's no doubt about that.

All I am questioning is the HUGE spread on this particular book between 8.5 and 9.2. It is way out of wack with the other Spider-Man books.

The first Enforcers more important than the 2nd app of Doc Ock? C'mon, get real here.. Anyways, I think this question has already been answered. It's the same as ASM 28, they both have the same TOTAL # of books in NM- and NM. And are both equally very hard to find in 9.2 and up. And this one is actually tougher in 9.0. So, if you look at the spread of ASM 28 from 9.0 to 9.2 it's about 1,000 dollars. A couple grand spread for 9.0 to 9.2 for ASM 11 makes about as much sense as far as multiples go. Pretty clear cut if you ask me.

Brian

So... scratch one 9.0 copy of ASM 11 from the census. mad.gif

And are both equally very hard to find in 9.2 and up. And this one is actually tougher in 9.0. So, if you look at the spread of ASM 28 from 9.0 to 9.2 it's about 1,000 dollars. A couple grand spread for 9.0 to 9.2 for ASM 11 makes about as much sense as far as multiples go. Pretty clear cut if you ask me.

Its only clear cut (in favor of 11) if you base your spending spread on the current state of the CGC census and not years of collecting experience.

In my almost 20 years of collecting I have found 28 to be much tougher to find in true NM than 11. As I said before, I have found 11 to be as common in VF+ and VF/NM as other early ASM books like 10, 12, 15 and 20.

It is one of the toughies in 9.4 for sure, but we all know what you can do with guide multiples once you hit this grade for early SA.