• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on ASM #11...

60 posts in this topic

I have found 11 to be as common in VF+ and VF/NM as other early ASM books like 10, 12, 15 and 20.

Surely you jest...... 893whatthe.gif

28 is certainly hyped up as a tough book to find, but they are a plenty in 8.5-9.0.

Simply not enough 11's to go around.

Blowout, I still am not all that convinced you are actually a Spider-man collector. B/c a lot of the stuff you say, contradicts almost everyone who collects the series. 28 is difficult but take a look at the census, 11 is MORE difficult to find. Wait let me guess, the census is way off and there's thousands more copies in NM and only a couple more copies of ASM 28. I guess you must've hit the treasure trove of ASM 11's b/c even 8.5 is fairly difficult to find

For a final time, this is the spread

ASM 11 - 3/6/5/5/10 that's 9.6 to 8.5

ASM 28 - 3/3/8/18/22 same grade spread

I can buy that ASM 28 is more difficult in 9.4 slightly, but it's simply not harder to find than ASM 11 overall.

Brian

Not taking condition into consideration,

ASM #11 is only more significant/ desirable than #18 among the first 20 issues. Collectors desire any of the first 10 issues regardless of the numerical appearance (1st, 2nd, etc.) a character makes. The 1st appearance of the Enforcers is definitely more important than ASM #11, as these characters have been around for a very long time with a vast history, and currently has also been an integral part of the Kingpin story in the Ultimate title.

Collectors also desire #12 more because of the bright yellow cover. The same reason goes for #19 with the gorgeous white Swinging Spidey classic Ditko pose. #17 (another 2nd appearance of a character introduced a year later than Doc Ock) is more valuable than #11,

Now the high graders are another matter:),

Eric

I don't agree with your opinion of collectors desire of 12 and 19. 19 is the cheapest of the first 20 issues, and really doesn't generate as much interest as any of the other ones when it comes up. 12 is the same way but to a much lesser extent. And I really don't agree with your thinking that it's less significant than all of the other first 20 issues, especially with your choice of the book it's more popular than. 18 is the first app of Ned Leeds, Sandman cover, and a very classic cover that's very popular with collectors. Ned Leeds later becomes Hobgoblin which isn't a big deal now but the character was a huge impact on the ASM series.

I don't think the Enforcers had as much an impact on the series as you do, and I don't recall them appearing any where near as often as any of the other first appearances in the first 20 issues. The fact about the first 10 issues being collectable is true, but the 2nd app of Doc Ock is IMO more important. Mostly due to the fact that Doc Ock is 100 times more popular and notable than the Enforcers. As far as simply numbers (not content) 10 is better, but we're not just talking numbers.

Brian

Brian,

Every opinion I stated is based on non-$$$ terms, regardless of how inexpensive a #19 is etc.

Most of what I stated is based on the thousands of e-mails over the years, back issues sold, and back issue want-lists, and various other fan-interaction. I get very little feedback on ASM #11 in all of those qualities. Remember, I do not deal in early high-grade issues, but rather affordable collectible copies, and from buying the early issues on e-bay, stores, cons, collections... #11 is relatively easy to obtain. I would even go on to say it is tied with #18 as the easiest to obtain in the 1st 20 issues. This may mean more issues out there, but the opinion of it being less desirable is more the case. #12 is far more desirable with collectors.

While the Enforcers (and the Big Man) may not be in the same category as Doc Ock, they still left an early impact in terms of appearances in ASM, and later on in MTU, DD, UTOS, and more titles. The Enforcers have displayed that they certainly are not in the same league as the Living Brain, who has only made 3 appearances to date.

Ned Leeds never was (officially) a Hobgoblin. Kingsley and Macendale were the only "official" Hobby's...Of course this can all come down to semantics, as with the case of "Lefty" Donovan, another Hobby "dupe".

Eric

It must be different between the grades. As I'm aware of not many people who are looking for #19, which has subsequently dropped fairly heavily in price (and is now the cheapest of the first 20 books). Anyways, as I said above I know of at least 5 people who have been looking hard for this one. Obviously not many books are really all that rare in mid-grade so I could see it not being hard to find there. But it's simply very difficult in VF+ and up (as the census illustrates)

Brian

I thought that was the point of this thread...High grade Spider-Man #11's. There was an article in Comic Book Market Place a couple years ago before CGC that listed the hardest to find in high grade and hardest to find over all Spider-Man issues 1-100. You are correct Spider-Man #11 isn't hard to find overall but it is a pain in high grade.

Ericc123

Blowout, I still am not all that convinced you are actually a Spider-man collector. B/c a lot of the stuff you say, contradicts almost everyone who collects the series. 28 is difficult but take a look at the census, 11 is MORE difficult to find. Wait let me guess, the census is way off and there's thousands more copies in NM and only a couple more copies of ASM 28.

Spoken by a man with genuine long term experience of collecting Spider-Man books...

Ooops sorry, I forgot you are 24 years old or so and have been collecting comic books for 5 minutes with your dads endless supply of cash, so you must be right.

Or then again, Bob Overstreet (a man with just a LITTLE bit of experience) says that ASM 11 guides for less than almost every other book in the first 20. Why would he say that? Because he wants to buy a cheap copy for himself?

No, it is more likely that ASM 11 may be a grail to super high grade collectors, but to everyone else it is just not an important book.

Or then again, Bob Overstreet (a man with just a LITTLE bit of experience) says that ASM 11 guides for less than almost every other book in the first 20

Man I wish everyone would start listening to Bob and price their books accordingly!

11 AND 12 are also grouped in the same price column, I guess Bob nailed that one as well. makepoint.gif

Blowout..The whole point of this thread was a high grade collector asking for advise from HG ASM "experts". See below... smile.gif

Whether a key or not, bottomline is this is a very tough book to find in high grade.

And saying that "it is more likely that ASM 11 may be a grail to super high grade collectors, but to everyone else it is just not an important book."

Not important? Super high grade?

Well if I was an ASM collector looking for an 8.5-9.0 run, which I would not call super high grade, I would have a helluva time finding a copy.

Second doc ock, killer color strike, rare in high grade...That's important to me...don't I count. crazy.gif

Hey all -

Looking at Heritage's overstuffed San Diego offerings for July...I feel a little sick now. Overdosed on comic book images. tongue.gif

Anyway, I want some advice from the ASM HG experts. I am just getting into ASM's but know #11 is very hard to find in excellent condition. The NM- (owtwp) copy on Heritage looks pretty nice, but what's the market likely to be? Is $4-5K about right for that issue...or is that too much given a guide of $800. I might bid but won't even try if it's out of range, especially with the G-DD--NED 15% "juice".

Any thoughts on the topic - or on the particular issue at auction - is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

I know I certainly wouldn't mind having a Spidey 11 in 9.0 or better,I love the cover on Spidey 12,I love the way Doc Ock is ripping spiderman's mask off,I'm looking for that in 9.4,but it's not a priority right now,neither is the 11 But as far as spidey 10 goes,rather have the 11 and 12 instead,cover on the 10 is lame and don't care for the Enforcers,but some people love that book and need it in 9.6 to be happy with it.I tried to buy a 9.2 11 for 3800.00 a while back but was sold real fast before i could place the order frown.gif Oh well,better luck next time.

Notch, unfortunately the tone of this thread has gone much further than I originally intended. Rather than just reading my last post, track back to the begining and see what I wrote. I have acknowledged that ASM 11 is a very tough book to find in high grade, and was just adding a cautionary note about the huge spreads paid for CGC copies of this issue between 8.5 and 9.2. Mainly based on census information.

Unfortunately, Brian likes to beat these Spider-Man topics with an iron bar, and his last post, which called my knowledge into question may have led to my apparent 'slamming' of the book. This was NOT my intention.

I just wanted to add a word of caution for the original poster, from someone who has tracked the market long before CGC/eBay were around.

I'm sorry but you've been proven wrong here Blowout, and it's really sad that you have to resort to taking cheap shots in order to cover up for it. Sadly, I have collected ASM books for 10 years straight..nothing else, just ASM. And high grade ASM at that. So please don't try to tell me what I can or can't say b/c no matter how much more you think you know than me, chances are you don't.

Just to keep this in perspective, this thread is about how difficult it is to find HIGH GRADE copies of ASM 11. It's very difficult, it's more difficult than ASM 28. That's been proven through use of the census. Why can't you understand this? You can take offense all you want to the fact that I'm in essence calling you out, as from what I can tell your knowledge of the series at hand is almost the opposite of what all the other ASM collectors on here and the ones I've dealt with before are saying.

Brian

Blowout,

Well as I have gone off on a tirade about the exact same crazy spread paid for 8.5-9.2 I have to wholeheartedly agree with you there.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=comicgen&Number=191974&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

I firmly believe that there are ALOT of 8.5's out there that are 9.0 or better books in the wrong holder.

Just the way the market works on these "grails" is the spread gets even wider. But you already knew that, it's a no brainer.

Personally if I was buying an 11 I would look for an 8.5-9.0 that I could buy raw in hand.

But watch that 9.2 close at 5k easy.....

this thread is about how difficult it is to find HIGH GRADE copies of ASM 11. It's very difficult, it's more difficult than ASM 28. That's been proven through use of the census. Why can't you understand this? You can take offense all you want to the fact that I'm in essence calling you out,

This Brian is the root of your problem. The CGC census proves NOTHING.

I am relying on my years of collecting experience to tell me how common in high grade this book is. Not the CGC census.

BTW, I apologise for the cheap shot, it was uncalled for.

this thread is about how difficult it is to find HIGH GRADE copies of ASM 11. It's very difficult, it's more difficult than ASM 28. That's been proven through use of the census. Why can't you understand this? You can take offense all you want to the fact that I'm in essence calling you out,

This Brian is the root of your problem. The CGC census proves NOTHING.

I am relying on my years of collecting experience to tell me how common in high grade this book is. Not the CGC census.

Blowout, Spider-man is the most heavy submitted title to CGC,ASM 11 is not a "common" book in high grade,If there so common in high grade..find me one,a raw one for that matter,hell find me 5 of them,find me 5 raw 9.0+ copies of Spidey 11 and i'll pay double what you paid. Have fun and good luck..your going to need it. Keivn

Blowout, Spider-man is the most heavy submitted title to CGC,ASM 11 is not a "common" book in high grade,If there so common in high grade..find me one

Go back and re-read all my posts in this thread. At no point in time have I said this book is 'common' in high grade.