• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on ASM #11...

60 posts in this topic

Here's what I have had in issues #10, 11 and 12

Amazing Spiderman 10 VF/VF+

Amazing Spiderman 10 NM

Amazing Spiderman 10 NM-

Amazing Spiderman 10 GD

Amazing Spiderman 10 VF+

Amazing Spiderman 10 VF+ CGC 8.5

Amazing Spiderman 10 VF/VF+ light stain along right FC

Amazing Spiderman 10 NM

Amazing Spiderman 10 NM CGC 9.4

Amazing Spiderman 10 FN/FN+

Amazing Spiderman 11 VF+

Amazing Spiderman 11 VF+ CGC 8.5

Amazing Spiderman 11 VF+ 1 tiny mc, 2 PMC's White Mtn copy

Amazing Spiderman 11 VF+

Amazing Spiderman 11 VF+

Amazing Spiderman 12 NM- Book looks NM+, has tiny WS BC

Amazing Spiderman 12 NM NOC, WP Winnipeg copy

Amazing Spiderman 12 VF/NM

Amazing Spiderman 12 GD

Amazing Spiderman 12 FR/GD

Amazing Spiderman 12 VF+ CGC 8.5

Amazing Spiderman 12 VF-

Amazing Spiderman 12 VF+

Amazing Spiderman 12 NM-

Amazing Spiderman 12 VF+

Bob

dealers and collectors have long suspected/known that 11 was a tougher book than other early Spideys in HG. Now the census has illustrated this as 'fact' (so far) And this early census buzz about how scarce 11 is in HG has goosed the comic from relative obscurity to a must find holy grail. But buyers should be sure that this scarcity, if real in the long run, will hold up AND validate 11 as a more important/expensive book going forward, since out of the first 20 Spideys, it has never been nearly one of the highest demanded issues in the run before!

Course, If Ock is in Spidey movie#2, his 2nd appearance status may make the argument moot since it will have THAT behind it holding up its new lofty values.

I did, and you said you didn't have to rely on the census,but your own experiance to show you that this book is common

Shuley, here is what I said in my last post:

"I am relying on my years of collecting experience to tell me how common in high grade this book is. Not the CGC census. "

please note the use of the phrase ..."to tell me HOW common the book is in high grade", and not as you are mistakenly reading... "the tell me the book IS common in high grade"

Just to clarify, as my point seems to be getting diluted with the one-upmanship that is going on in this thread, I AGREE THAT ASM 11 IS A TOUGH BOOK IN HIGH GRADE.

What I am also saying is that there are other early Spideys in the same range that are also very tough in grade, for example #s 9, 13, 15 & 20. I just feel that the current price spread between 8.5 and 9.2 for ASM 11 is out of whack with these other books.

I think many people are arguing over two separate points, that have been both brought into play here in this thread:

1. ASM #11 is tough/ tougher/ toughest/ in high grade

and

2. The overall importance of ASM #11, regardless of condition.

Point 1, cannot honestly be argued, using the statistical information and many collectors and dealers experience with the book. It definitely is the toughest.

Point 2 on the other hand, is that the book is not very desirable with the common collector, who far outnumber the high grade and super high grade collectors. Reason being: affordability, completionists, impatience, and just the overall desire to just collect, own, and read the comic in their own acceptible condition. This book is extremely common to them. For mid to lower grades, #11 is one of the easiest to obtain.

Not many people like the cover btw...I had a poll on my site, and only #18 received less votes for best cover in the 11-20 range (counting only unique visitors).

Eric

I did, and you said you didn't have to rely on the census,but your own experiance to show you that this book is common

Shuley, here is what I said in my last post:

"I am relying on my years of collecting experience to tell me how common in high grade this book is. Not the CGC census. "

please note the use of the phrase ..."to tell me HOW common the book is in high grade", and not as you are mistakenly reading... "the tell me the book IS common in high grade"

Just to clarify, as my point seems to be getting diluted with the one-upmanship that is going on in this thread, I AGREE THAT ASM 11 IS A TOUGH BOOK IN HIGH GRADE.

What I am also saying is that there are other early Spideys in the same range that are also very tough in grade, for example #s 9, 13, 15 & 20. I just feel that the current price spread between 8.5 and 9.2 for ASM 11 is out of whack with these other books.

Price goes up when the grade does brotha.I know someone selling a FF 5 9.2 for twice guide on ebay,around 10K,Well Mark Wilson sold his FF 5 9.4 for $27,000!! only a $17,000 differance between a half grade,BUT! Once you hit 9.4 on rare books like the FF 5,it's a whole new ball game,so the price spread on the ASM 11 doesn't surprise me.

BUT! Once you hit 9.4 on rare books like the FF 5,it's a whole new ball game,so the price spread on the ASM 11 doesn't surprise me.

It doesn't actually surprise me either. When you hit the 9.4 level, its anyone's guess how high a book will go.

The spread on very high grade books does vary quite a bit though, and this is the real trick, to figure out which which books SHOULD be getting the higher spreads and whether or not they will continue to do so.

Price goes up when the grade does brotha.I know someone selling a FF 5 9.2 for twice guide on ebay,around 10K,Well Mark Wilson sold his FF 5 9.4 for $27,000!! only a $17,000 differance between a half grade,BUT! Once you hit 9.4 on rare books like the FF 5,it's a whole new ball game,so the price spread on the ASM 11 doesn't surprise me.

Who's selling a FF # 5 CGC 9.2 on eBay? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifgossip.gif

Or are you referring to the 9.2 that got sold to mrahome last month? confused.gif

The appeal that a cover has to mid-grade collectors (or any collector) is most definitely a major factor in their decision to collect a certain comic. I can cite countless ASM groupings of issue-ranges (example, ASM #25 is far more desirable than #24 because of the bright yellow cover, yet are roughly the same price).

There are many "common" ASM's that are more desirable than the surrounding similar issues, and have received hordes of emails, orders, and requests for back issues based solely on this factor.

Great exampes are ASM 25, 33, 35, 45, 55, 66, 75, 87, 112, 144, 151, 188........404, etc.

All are "common" ASM's that sell more, cited more, requested more, based on the cover's appeal. I know many people that collect based only on cover appeal.

If the story was the most important factor, collectors would (and have, with many reprint orders) collect the rerpints or Essentials, if available... 893blahblah.gif

Eric

If the story was the most important factor, collectors would (and have, with many reprint orders) collect the rerpints or Essentials, if available... 893blahblah.gif

Eric

I don't think so, one of the key ingredients of a collector is to buy original. I'd bet that if given the choice they'd rather have the original to read. Depending on the issue however, the price could be a problem. But for stuff like we're talking about.. it shouldn't be..?

Brian

Brian,

Keep in mind, that many comic collectors/ readers/ etc cannot afford even the mid to lower grade early originals of many titles, and ASM is a great example of this. ASM >103, 119-122, 129, etc are out of there reach budget-wise, even in a VG condition.

Most people who have read these stories however, have read the reprints,

Eric

Maybe, but you can get raw mid-grade copies of ASM 11 for 25-50 dollars. Wouldn't you think that if you had your choice you'd rather have the actual comic then some book of reprints?

Brian

Maybe, but you can get raw mid-grade copies of ASM 11 for 25-50 dollars. Wouldn't you think that if you had your choice you'd rather have the actual comic then some book of reprints?

It all comes down to cost for a lot of collectors. They can get 25 issues in an essentials reprint for $15 or pay $25 EACH for the originals. A huge price difference.

I agree Odin, there really is no substitute for the originals, and that old paper smell really does it for me too. blush.gif I also like to flip through the books and enjoy the art with the muted colors on that old paper stock. grin.gif

On the other hand though, not everyone has the funds to pick up these books.

Hey everyone -

Thanks for the pointers and a great thread. I appreciate everybody's time and interest!

Last question - since Ebay began, has an ASM #11 in 9.2 or better ever been put up for auction? My memory says no, but just wondering.

Thanks again,

Dan