• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
38 38

16,138 posts in this topic

Okay, okay, though the ebay story was more fun. Bought it off Heritage two years ago when I had the funds. The Sandman had just been announced for SM 3 and I had to have it. Remains the cornerstone of my entire collection thumbsup2.gif

Sick Comic KS

Unreal snag for anything less than 8K really. Going to have to start grabbing those early ASM books soon in 9.0 or 9.2 as that's the very maximum I'll be able to spend and at that I still probably won't be able to get my hands on issues like 1 or AF15 in either of those grades anytime soon. One can hope though. wink.gif

Richard

Edited by absolutecarnage

Thanks Danny and AC!! I made the mistake of balking at my girlfriend when she said "You must have paid 5K for that"!! foreheadslap.gif If its one thing I've learned NEVER volunteer this information. Let them think its a significant amount of money and leave it at that. Anything else is flirting with disaster flamed.gif

I'm fortunate. My father-in-law has been a SERIOUS collector of baseball cards and autographs (of all sorts) since he was a young kid- we're talking signed Mantle rookies (more than one), all that jazz. Needless to say, my wife's far more understanding than I thought she'd be when I told her of my first big purchase (you'll all laugh) of ASM 300 at $70 (8.5-9.0).

I'm still waiting before popping my $100+ cherry let alone the $1,000+ mark. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Thanks JB thumbsup2.gif Macman, I was specifically refering to purchases in the 2K+

range. When its equivalent to a nice vacation or a car down payment I've found that the lil' lady's understanding and acceptance disappears in a New York second!!

No, I was following you. My father in law just acquired a signed Lou Gehrig 2nd year card. It's a full signature too, not an abbreviated one which ended up running (I believe) around $4,000-$5,000. When my wife heard, she thought it was a really good deal, hence, her easy acceptance of my collection purchases.

Of course... we'll see how well she responds when I'M the one making the purchase... :-D But at least it will be easier since she's grown up in a "collector" household.

I'm still waiting before popping my $100+ cherry let alone the $1,000+ mark. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

baby steps thumbsup2.gif

Once you cross a bridge, you don't look back and then you cross a bigger bridge etc...

After a few bridges you start thinking about those early bridges and how carefully you crossed them grin.gif

Hey all you old-school ASM fans! I need your advice. I've finished my run of ASM 70-79 and am nearly finished with my run of 40-49. I've also just got reprints of AF 15 and ASM 1-10 to tide me over until I can get legit copies. Now, I'm looking for my next ASM run, but am not sure which to go after. Is there one particular storyline that is better than another? What are your thoughts?

Ditko Ditko Ditko! headbang.gif

My favorite stories are still from the #1-33 run...without thinking too hard about it I'd single out #17-20, #23-28 & #30-33 (not counting the single-digit issues). Plus, I think it's just good strategy to aim for the earlier ASMs, even if it means you buy fewer books in the short term. The early issues are only going to get more expensive, whereas the later ones will always be available on the cheap.

Yeah, I've recently just snagged up 27,28,33,34,& 37- all nice Ditko issues. I'm definitely not filling many of my modern runs, but it's just SO great when I get to add another early ASM to the collection. I'm hoping to add a couple more this weekend too- though most will be Romitas. Right now though, my 31 is probably my favorite early ASM.

Yeah, I've recently just snagged up 27,28,33,34,& 37- all nice Ditko issues. I'm definitely not filling many of my modern runs, but it's just SO great when I get to add another early ASM to the collection. I'm hoping to add a couple more this weekend too- though most will be Romitas. Right now though, my 31 is probably my favorite early ASM.

You might as well finish 26-39, since you have many already. Though the Looter issue is a dud, IMHO. But on the back end is the first Romita Green Goblin. cloud9.gif

Well, just had our local show yesterday, and was able to get some great issues at some really nice prices. I got ASM 71 to complete my 70-79 run; 40,41, & 45 to put me two away from completing my 40s run (just missing 42 & 43 now); copies of 65, 80, and 96 in really tight condition for below G (2.0) prices, and a nice little BA 194 around VG+. There were also a number of nice condition (around 6.0) Marvel Tales comics in the 4/$1 bins which allowed me to get some fillers on a number of earlier ASMs as well. So, including reprint issues, I'm about halfway to completing the ASM 1-100 (about 35% of the way looking only at original copies).

Medstudentnerd and I allso got to meet Bedrock (responsible for selling me some of my VERY BEST deals yesterday) and GoldenAge which was pretty cool. All in all- another fantastic show experience!

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Score! My LCS owner just bought a large ASM low--grade collection and held 'em for me to look through. Tons of goodies. Anyhow, I walked away today with a copy of ASM 5 in probably 1.0-1.5 for only $15!!! Maybe it's just me, but that's a bang up deal. I also snagged #21 in 4.0 for $10. The real coup de tat (however you spell it smile.gif ) will be the copy of ASM 14 in around 2.0-2.5 for only $50! I'm pretty happy about this to say the least. There are also some other books I'm picking up really, really cheap (i.e. #11 in 2.0 for $25, #101 in 5.0 for $20, & Avengers #4 2.0 for $25).

Needless to say, what a great day for stopping by the comic store!