• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,436 posts in this topic

1378230-Spidey97CGC92.jpg

1378230-Spidey98CGC92.jpg

Ok, ASM 97 is my all-time favorite Spider-Man cover. Classic. I think it's elegance is in it's simplistic aprroach. I wouldn't even put the one circle on it.

Now, ASM 98, I can never get over the fact that Spider-Man is drawn incorrectly and Kane's goblin glider always looks like the wings are backward.

foreheadslap.gif

How could i have missed this thread for so long! See what happens when i don't visit the Silevr forum? I'm a Spider-head, though i've recently decided that i'm going to focus solely on ASM, and let the fringe titles and etc fall into the background (at least for now). Being a 19 year old university student, i've got plenty of time and i'm not rushing anything with my collecting. I'm always happy to get a beater/filler opy, and then upgrade that same issue several times to get it to a respectable "keeper" quality grade.

My current goal is for ASM 1-current (current being whenever i decide to stop). I am just on my way out and don't have time to scan much now, but i'm well on my way to that goal, without rushing anything and without (unneccessarily) overspending. I'm a very patient collector. Although i'm no grade nazi, i like the idea of everything being VF and up, and proportionately lower for the higher-priced issues. To give you an idea of what i still need, here's my want list. Sure, my collection is currently boasting some pretty crappy fillers here and there, but it will all (hopefully!) eventually be 8.0 and up.

WANTLIST

ASM #

1-22, 24-27, 30-34, 36-37, 39-42, 45, 48-50, 53, 55-56, 58-59, 61-62, 64-70, 72-73, 76, 78-87, 97-98, 118-119, 121-124, 129, 132-134, 136, 146, 148, 229-230, 401, 416, 431, 434, 438, 441, 519-528, 531

vol. 2 #

14, 18-19, 22, 24-25, 28-32, 34-36,

Ann. #

1-2, 9, 19, *20, 2001

GS #1

I'm currently trying to fill in all the holes above #100 before i delve too seriously below that line. Being a pretty cheap collector and being patient pay off. Since i have no urgency to complete my run, i find issues that i like at a price that i like, and if i have the money, i buy them. If not, i pass. Don't mistake me for a "casual collector", because i am not by any means. I'm just very patient, and careful with my money.

Incidentally, this thread ROCKS! Keep it up and keep the scans and pictures (especially love those ASM group shots) coming, gents!

Thanks for the post, dc360! All the scans being posted are great of course, but I also really enjoy the stories about what runs folks are looking and how they collect.

The only thing I might suggest is, since you're on a budget (as am I), you may want to try to pick off a few of the early keys if you come across some good deals. My thinking is that in the years to come the prices on the earlier books will continue to escalate, while the bronze prices will increase more slowly and still be easily within reach. (But no worries, as it looks like you're real close to wrapping up the #101-present run anyhow.)

Best of luck!

One of my favourite covers and one of my favoure 7.5/8.0s to date, all in one book. grin.gif

This was bought from khaml, when he was selling off the ASM portion of one of the collections he came by some months ago.

asm60fczl3.jpg

this thread needs a #6 thumbsup2.gif

6lizf.jpg

My copy of issue 6 is colored a little difference than this one. If you look at the brick, it is grey where Spidey and the Lizard are fighting and is tannish to the outside, and the grey runs from top to bottom. The grey on mine is just a little square going from the "E" in the word The and going across to the letter "M" in Comics (across the bottom) and going up to just above Spider-Man's head. I assumed it was meant as some kind of highlight effect, but looks like there is some printing variation at work.

Anyone else notice this before?