• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,430 posts in this topic

On 12/14/2021 at 4:58 PM, alexgross.com said:

asm14-8.0WP.jpg

asm14 was my first cgc graded book that i got around 8 years ago. it was a 6.5 but had a rusty staple, not disclosed by comiclink or the label. it always bugged me and i eventually unloaded it for what i paid, around 1k. later i picked this book up, i think here on the boards. wish i had held on the 6.5 as well, as it's worth like 5 times that now. but i'll live. cgc used to note rusty staples on the early labels from what i've seen, but they stopped after a bit. 

You know, since rusty staples can lead to progressive damage to a book, that should absolutely be noted on labels.  I sure wouldn't pay high grade prices for a high grade slab with rust.

On 12/14/2021 at 5:06 PM, MattTheDuck said:

You know, since rusty staples can lead to progressive damage to a book, that should absolutely be noted on labels.  I sure wouldn't pay high grade prices for a high grade slab with rust.

I've passed on many nice books with rusty staples that also show slight rust discoloration migrating on to the paper.  If it's just a very tiny spot of rust I might be able live with that hm, since many silver age books commonly have very small amounts that are imperceivable and hard to detect, even on high grade copies.  Really depends on the severity and degree of spread on the staples...  

On 12/15/2021 at 9:29 AM, mosconi said:

I've passed on many nice books with rusty staples that also show slight rust discoloration migrating on to the paper.  If it's just a very tiny spot of rust I might be able live with that hm, since many silver age books commonly have very small amounts that are imperceivable and hard to detect, even on high grade copies.  Really depends on the severity and degree of spread on the staples...  

I suppose (I don't know - and I'm sure there's a thread in the "Restoration" section) that slabbing books might slow rust growth and migration into the paper, assuming other environmental storage conditions are good.  If that's the case, then seeing a little rust on a staple in a slabbed book would be less of a concern.

On 12/15/2021 at 2:23 PM, spracknetch23 said:

I've probably posted this one before, but I'm happy I hit the $350 BIN a few years ago. A nice copy would be out of my reach now. 

You mean "nicer copy"  Appreciate this one b/c it is nice. (thumbsu

Edited by Pantodude

On 12/22/2021 at 12:23 PM, gunsmokin said:

I know nobody probably needs another book of reprints but my goodness the new Taschen Spider-man book is gorgeous and the coloring is exquisite. Just got mine today!!

My wife was asking me for ideas for Christmas gifts.  I hinted this item would be great.  Fingers crossed its' under the tree.  

On 12/22/2021 at 11:23 AM, gunsmokin said:

I know nobody probably needs another book of reprints but my goodness the new Taschen Spider-man book is gorgeous and the coloring is exquisite. Just got mine today!!

Share some photos if you get a chance!