• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,434 posts in this topic

On 12/31/2021 at 10:09 AM, JohnH19 said:

I don’t consider the annuals which only contain reprints to be important. I would say that 1-5 and maybe 6, which includes the reprint of the Sinister Six story in Annual 1, are must haves and the rest are take or leave.  Annual 21, with the wedding story, should be in every Spidey collection, though.

100% agreed, especially #1 - #3. Annual #1 - The Sinister Six, Annual #2 - Ditko's Spider-Man and Doctor Strange together, and #3 - Spidey tries to join the Avengers by fighting the Hulk. To me, annual #4 is "meh," but Annual #5 is pretty good also. I sold all my SM annuals this year, except for #1 - #5 and #21.

I used to turn my nose up at the annuals until I actually read ASM Annual 1 via Masterworks and realized just how incredible a book it is.  Some of Ditko’s best Spidey art imo on the villain splash pages.  Although it came out well before I was born, when I think what it must’ve been like for a kid to get all that awesomeness in one book for a quarter it makes me smile.  It was a must have book for me when I decided to focus solely on my ASM run.  I’m glad I got my copy a few years back before it really exploded.  

On 12/31/2021 at 9:25 AM, Farayray said:

Question for all you ASM collectors:  How many of you all consider the annuals an integral or important part of your collections?  I’m just a few issues away from completing my 50 to current issue run and (except for getting an issue #16 at some point) I think I am going to stop there.  I’ve always been pretty ambivalent about the annuals and only have a handful of the ones that came out in the 80’s and 90’s.  There is still though, a tiny little nagging voice in the back of my head, that chimes in on occasion to suggest to me that my run is not a complete run without the annuals.  Most of the time I dismiss it but sometimes it’s harder and I actually start looking at listings and such.  Out of curiosity, who collects the annuals here, and who doesn’t?

I'm a completist so I have to have all the annuals.  But if you're not collecting anything from before issue #50, I'm not sure that you're going to get too much out of collecting annuals from that point forward.  (As others have said, Annual #1 is one of the best Spidey books of all time, and #2-6 are all solid.)  The good news is that they are affordable, and reasonably easy to find.

On 12/31/2021 at 5:08 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I'm a completist so I have to have all the annuals.  But if you're not collecting anything from before issue #50, I'm not sure that you're going to get too much out of collecting annuals from that point forward.  (As others have said, Annual #1 is one of the best Spidey books of all time, and #2-6 are all solid.)  The good news is that they are affordable, and reasonably easy to find.

IIRC the 1963 annuals where  no ads .... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 12/31/2021 at 11:13 AM, Math Teacher said:

100% agreed, especially #1 - #3. Annual #1 - The Sinister Six, Annual #2 - Ditko's Spider-Man and Doctor Strange together, and #3 - Spidey tries to join the Avengers by fighting the Hulk. To me, annual #4 is "meh," but Annual #5 is pretty good also. I sold all my SM annuals this year, except for #1 - #5 and #21.

Annual #4 was the first Marvel I ever bought so it’s very special to me. I was very happy to find a gorgeous raw copy in 2021.

On 12/31/2021 at 11:40 PM, UncleBEN said:

Any 31's today? Always loved this issue and glad to see it is finally getting the attention it deserves. It does have legs in my opinion :) 

31.jpg

3194.jpg

31.png

Earlier today I was looking at GPA for 31 and saw a 9.2 recently sold for 6K. I have always considered this an overlooked key but not so anymore.

On 12/31/2021 at 9:25 AM, Farayray said:

Question for all you ASM collectors:  How many of you all consider the annuals an integral or important part of your collections?  I’m just a few issues away from completing my 50 to current issue run and (except for getting an issue #16 at some point) I think I am going to stop there.  I’ve always been pretty ambivalent about the annuals and only have a handful of the ones that came out in the 80’s and 90’s.  There is still though, a tiny little nagging voice in the back of my head, that chimes in on occasion to suggest to me that my run is not a complete run without the annuals.  Most of the time I dismiss it but sometimes it’s harder and I actually start looking at listings and such.  Out of curiosity, who collects the annuals here, and who doesn’t?

I absolutely do. Of course I only need Annual #1 to make that part of my collection complete so easy for me to say :).