• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
35 35

14,618 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

In the spirit of wrapping up the Kirby work on Fantastic Four, I’ll add these original covers. GCD cites The King as pencils for the FF portions of #12, but I see some other contributions.
C1C000E9-D052-47BA-A419-1E0A178502C5.thumb.jpeg.f9fce8a6965e3a59779a9697fc62fafe.jpeg

decided i needed the one on the right, for my little doom pursuit.  thanks for the inspiration, kj.

mcic12.jpg

7 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

This is the FF thread I know, but a little Spidey discussion can't hurt. For me, Spider-man is the title that is most complicated when drawing the line between SA and BA. It sometimes seems like Spidey may have started the bronze age early and the rest of the industry took a while to follow suit. The zeitgeist between Romita and Stan had a lot to do with the Bronze Age synergy at The House Of Ideas. I could see the BA  starting as early as ASM 68 or, strangely enough, as late as 121. Another contender is ASM 90 .... that one blew me away like no other until 121. For simplicity's sake. I usually go with 100, as Morbius is BA to me. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

It should be noted some go with the drug issues in '71 as the end of silver. Some go with Stan leaving as the dividing line in '72. I think the spirit of the SA went by the wayside for good after the drug issues were published. That changed everything! I suppose for me, it's a point in time like December '69 as the dividing line but I could easily see the CCA change as the line. But yeah it's a fun subject to kick around as it may not be a clear cut dividing line across all titles. For FF kirby leaving could easily be as profound as the death of a beloved character in ASM or Harry's OD. 

8 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

This is the FF thread I know, but a little Spidey discussion can't hurt. For me, Spider-man is the title that is most complicated when drawing the line between SA and BA. It sometimes seems like Spidey may have started the bronze age early and the rest of the industry took a while to follow suit. The zeitgeist between Romita and Stan had a lot to do with the Bronze Age synergy at The House Of Ideas. I could see the BA  starting as early as ASM 68 or, strangely enough, as late as 121. Another contender is ASM 90 .... that one blew me away like no other until 121. For simplicity's sake. I usually go with 100, as Morbius is BA to me. GOD BLESS...

That's a good take.  For me, I've always thought of the Harry Osborn drug trilogy of 96-98 as the beginning of Bronze age storytelling.

14 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

It should be noted some go with the drug issues in '71 as the end of silver. Some go with Stan leaving as the dividing line in '72. I think the spirit of the SA went by the wayside for good after the drug issues were published. That changed everything! I suppose for me, it's a point in time like December '69 as the dividing line but I could easily see the CCA change as the line. But yeah it's a fun subject to kick around as it may not be a clear cut dividing line across all titles. For FF kirby leaving could easily be as profound as the death of a beloved character in ASM or Harry's OD. 

You've got a point there with the drug issues. Also a good point to begin the BA for webhead. GOD BLESS...

17 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

For FF kirby leaving could easily be as profound as the death of a beloved character in ASM or Harry's OD. 

For my friend Jeff, who was then buying FF from the stands, it was much more profound. He gets a weird look in his eyes when he talks about it.

I just want to throw out a question here to the older guys with more knowledge. Would it be uncommon for a book to have a date stamp or a small arrival date written somewhere but one that is a bit more than 3 months before the cover month? An example being if the cover month is December and there's a small writing on the cover that says something like "8-25", presumably meaning August 25th. I've seen most of these stamps indicate an arrival date fitting somewhere between that 3 month period of release and cover dates but not much before. So just curious if anyone knows?

Thanks in advance for any reply. 

Edited by MGsimba77

I occasionally see arrivals at both 4 months and only 2 months prior. My guess was point of sale proximity to point of original distribution, but just a guess. GOD BLESS...

10 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

I just want to throw out a question here to the older guys with more knowledge. Would it be uncommon for a book to have a date stamp or a small arrival date written somewhere but one that is a bit more than 3 months before the cover month? An example being if the cover month is December and there's a small writing on the cover that says something like "8-25", presumably meaning August 25th. I've seen most of these stamps indicate an arrival date fitting somewhere between that 3 month period of release and cover dates but not much before. So just curious if anyone knows?

Thanks in advance for any reply. 

Absolutely possible. It potentially was dependent on the size of the monthly order and distribution for that particular region. Some newsstands received books a bit earlier than most. I have seen a few (June 62 arrival) AF15s, for example, with May 31st arrival dates. I have yet to see an FF 1 (August 61 arrival) with a July arrival date. I have seen a handful of FF2s (October 61) with Sept 61 arrival dates. DD1s typically have Feb 64 arrival dates, but I have seen plenty with January 64 markings. The distribution time difference (from cover to actual release date) seemed to be smaller with golden age books and larger with Silver and Bronze. That probably had something to do with the mass printing for Independent News for Marvel/DC then Goodman switched over to Curtis Circulation Corp (CCC) in 1968-69 to expand the monthly Marvel title distribution (I think it went from 9 titles a month to 15), thus the explosion of Marvel titles in 1968. 

Edited by Primetime