• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men Collecting Thread!
9 9

2,036 posts in this topic

On 7/25/2021 at 8:36 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Thank you so much Jeff!

What if I told you that even though I thought I was done, getting this recognition made me look at my collection and decide I wasn't satisfied with one of the books?

My OCD wasn't happy with a 9.4 copy of GSX #2 given that my #1 is 9.6 ... so literally two minutes ago I finalized a deal for this one.  lol

2136081235_Giant-SizeX-Men2CGC9.6.thumb.jpg.0c86bbc3b06e4a716ae998e046b63f37.jpg

OK, now I'm done!!

I think # 1 needs upgrading - no? 😂 

On 7/25/2021 at 5:36 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Thank you so much Jeff!

What if I told you that even though I thought I was done, getting this recognition made me look at my collection and decide I wasn't satisfied with one of the books?

My OCD wasn't happy with a 9.4 copy of GSX #2 given that my #1 is 9.6 ... so literally two minutes ago I finalized a deal for this one.  lol

2136081235_Giant-SizeX-Men2CGC9.6.thumb.jpg.0c86bbc3b06e4a716ae998e046b63f37.jpg

OK, now I'm done!!

congrats!! 

On 7/11/2021 at 6:51 PM, Skizz said:

30AB9D11-3517-4DB5-AFEC-AD77CCE0FB2B.thumb.jpeg.c7f4d9e415482a637880a92526349a31.jpeg

My early X-men key collection is slowly coming along. I think I missed the boat on an X-Men 1. 

I need to have #12 graded and #2 re-graded by CGC. But being in the UK, it’s a real hassle, with taxes to pay in top of the grading fees. 

I've only just started trying to add a few X-Men books to my collection, 12 and 14 are 2 I'd love to get. Those copies are brilliant. 

I'm also in the UK and realise they don't come around too often. However for grading purposes have you considered going through one of the approved dealers that CGC have listed? Takes away the hassle of arranging all your own insurance etc.

On 7/25/2021 at 10:54 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I feel very very fortunate to have bought my 9.6 before the insanity truly took off.  Can't even imagine going after a 9.8 in this market!!

I meant X-Men 1, not GSX 😆 but you did great picking the 9.6 before the explosion 

On 7/26/2021 at 10:58 PM, Jordysnordy said:

I meant X-Men 1, not GSX 😆 but you did great picking the 9.6 before the explosion 

Oh, Good Lord.  The idea of chasing a 9.4 of X-Men #1 is so insane that it never entered my mind you could be talking about that.  lol

Of the big Silver Age Marvel keys, there is just one (DD #1) that was affordable enough for me to pick up in 9.4, and I'm really glad I did because these days ... not so much.

Off the top of my head, I believe my oldest 9.4 is a tie -- JIM #86 and TTA #37 (Nov. 1962).  FF #12 (March 1963) is my oldest 9.4 in the FF run and that's a bigger-ticket book than either of those.  Avengers #2 and X-Men #2 (Nov. 1963) are also older than DD #1 and each kicks off their respective 9.4 runs.  The big difference between Avengers and X-Men is that I am still looking to upgrade one Avengers book from 9.0 to 9.4.

On 7/26/2021 at 11:32 AM, RickSp said:

I've only just started trying to add a few X-Men books to my collection, 12 and 14 are 2 I'd love to get. Those copies are brilliant. 

I'm also in the UK and realise they don't come around too often. However for grading purposes have you considered going through one of the approved dealers that CGC have listed? Takes away the hassle of arranging all your own insurance etc.

Also a Brit, I luckily completed my early X-men years ago, but never got them graded. Now I am regretting not getting them graded when I bought them as not only is the postage high, but most of the books now fall into the 'Walkthrough' fee scale so the costs are high. At the moment, I would rather waste the money on comics than grading, but at some stage I will need to consider getting books graded, but then the question is which ones!?!?!?!? :shy:

Edited by Waylander
Clarity - I think

On 9/17/2021 at 7:37 AM, pickycollector said:

I wish there was 

Patrick, this is the exact same situation I'm in...I have raw copies of #2-66, but am missing #1... :cry:

I guess I should be happy I at least have #2-66! An X-Men run is a lot more pricey to complete these days...