• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daredevil Collecting Thread
15 15

3,115 posts in this topic

Well, the Curator is for sale because the owner upgraded, the Heritage copy is for sale by a dealer who bought the copy for resale and I'm sure Doug is selling his copy to make a profit as well.

(shrug)

Is the Heritage copy for sale because the dealer bought it, pressed it and resubbed it, and is now selling it ?

I would imagine that having 3 up to bat could work in all of the sellers' favor. I know I have been an underbidder wanting another option shortly there after.

I can't imagine how you could imagine that; competition is good for buyers and bad for sellers. You being an underbidder wanting another option just means you can bid less or avoid bidding on one in hopes of getting the next one, which leads to lower totals.

It's not like they planned it and even once they found out... it's probably not the end of the world, especially for the Heritage and ComicLink copies.

I mean, if the dealer who consigned the heritage book, pressed it into a 9.6, there's enough profit there to not really worry about a little bit of competition.

Meanwhile, the owner of the 9.8 is sitting on the best copy of the bunch and might also be sitting on a LARGE profit (if, for example it was he who put the book in that old school holder in the first place.)

I would imagine that having 3 up to bat could work in all of the sellers' favor. I know I have been an underbidder wanting another option shortly there after.

I can't imagine how you could imagine that; competition is good for buyers and bad for sellers. You being an underbidder wanting another option just means you can bid less or avoid bidding on one in hopes of getting the next one, which leads to lower totals.

Yes, but in my experience more often or not, he who hesitates loses. I have waited and lost out on a book or two.

When I personally have lost on a book because I did not want to pay as much or I didn't bid high enough, I get pissed and my want turns into more of a need. So if there is another book running in auction after I lose out, I personally will bid more or pay more than the one I lost out on. Therefore I drive up the price on the other seller's book to get it. But, there has to be another wanting it like me and a lot of times, there always seems to be with what I want when I want it.

There is supply and demand and three have been supplied at once. We will see what the demand is.

Yes, but in my experience more often or not, he who hesitates loses. I have waited and lost out on a book or two.

When I personally have lost on a book because I did not want to pay as much or I didn't bid high enough, I get pissed and my want turns into more of a need. So if there is another book running in auction after I lose out, I personally will bid more or pay more than the one I lost out on. Therefore I drive up the price on the other seller's book to get it. But, there has to be another wanting it like me and a lot of times, there always seems to be with what I want when I want it.

There is supply and demand and three have been supplied at once. We will see what the demand is.

Can't imagine demand for Daredevil #1 9.6s will be that high.

Wouldn't want to own the 9.6 scheduled to end last.

You can't sell that many copies of the same book, at that level and expect good things to happen in terms of relative pricing.

I'm definitely curious to see how things shake out. To me, the Curator is the one that should just sell for full value. It's the best book and it closes first. What happens to the other two is a mystery to me.

You can't sell that many copies of the same book, at that level and expect good things to happen in terms of relative pricing.

I'm definitely curious to see how things shake out. To me, the Curator is the one that should just sell for full value. It's the best book and it closes first. What happens to the other two is a mystery to me.

I did want to say thank-you putting them all up together. That was nice to compare the lot of them on one page. (thumbs u

The Curator one is my personal favorite, but I agree, Doug actually didn't exaggerate too much on his, it is a close second.

I just can't wait to see the overall sale results. But I'm a huge DD fan, so that is why I'm so intrigued in this thread and their outcome. I will never own a 9.6 sadly, but some day a 9.4 will be in my sweaty clutches!!

So what do people think the ending price on the DD's will be.

Curator 9.6 W pages is currently at $24,250 with 6 days left

Heritage 9.6 OW pages currently at $19,120 with 8 days left

Copy on Pedigree 9.6 OW-W pages starts in a 5 days and ends in 14 days.

Last recorded sale was in Jan for $62,000

$45k

$35k

$28k

$45k

$35k

$28k

my prediction

$52k

$38k

$50k (Somehow Doug always seems to get prices that suprise me)

I think the Curator on C-Link will see over 52k, due to the notion that it will be the best attainable DD #1 on the "open" market.

Doug's I agree, will be pretty damnn high. I say right at 50k

The one on Heritage, I'm going with 42k.

I could be way high, (money wise not extracurricular wise mind you) but I'm cheering Murdock on to greatness!!

Well, the Curator is for sale because the owner upgraded, the Heritage copy is for sale by a dealer who bought the copy for resale and I'm sure Doug is selling his copy to make a profit as well.

(shrug)

Sounds like the 9.8 is in the hands of Brulato. The rich get richer......

Did this include the Heritage Buyer's Premium?

I ask because it's at $23,900.00 (with BP) right now.

Edited by rob_react

My hats off to him, because he is doing something well to be able to purchase those gems.

Knowing you already own the 9.6 Curator copy makes it a little easier to purchase

the 9.8 . It's also possible he owned a lower grade that he himself pressed into the 9.8 . He will make a huge profit off the Curator copy. He was able to purchase so much of that Curator collection directly from Hauser just prior to CGC at bargain prices by today's standards. Hauser made Brulato a millionare and from what I heard never even bought John dinner.

Hauser made Brulato a millionare and from what I heard never even bought John dinner.

I think he paid Hauser a multiple of Overstreet NM at the time. Why are you portraying him as if he's an ingrate who ripped him off? ??? He was paying these multiples at a time when the comics industry was in the tank and was one of a tiny group of people paying prices like that, which is exactly why Hauser went to him first. Nobody knew CGC and the Internet would combine to cause things to explode the way they did.

Hauser made Brulato a millionare and from what I heard never even bought John dinner.

I think he paid Hauser a multiple of Overstreet NM at the time. Why are you portraying him as if he's an ingrate who ripped him off? ??? He was paying these multiples at a time when the comics industry was in the tank and was one of a tiny group of people paying prices like that, which is exactly why Hauser went to him first. Nobody knew CGC and the Internet would combine to cause things to explode the way they did.

I agree, pretty much all of the major pedegrees that came round at that point in time were priced at multiples of guide, and even though by todays standards they are really cheap, you have to remember they were considered very expensive in their day and by no means a bargain.

Should i thank Roter profusely for allowing me to pay 3x guide for the Pacific Coast that i purchased, at a time when paying 3x guide for average Silver Age comics was considered insanity ? Regardless of the fact that they are now worth 50 times what i paid for them, i overpaid at the time.

Did this include the Heritage Buyer's Premium?

I ask because it's at $23,900.00 (with BP) right now.

It did include the BP at the time, current prices -

Curator 9.6 W pages is currently at $27,250 with 5 days left

Heritage 9.6 OW pages currently at $23,900 with 7 days left

Copy on Pedigree 9.6 OW-W pages starts in a 5 days and ends in 13 days

Agreed. Brulato also wasn't made wealthy by the books he purchased. From what I understand he was wealthy before that. I'll go further and say that Brulato is a decent guy in my experience. He's not the most sociable person outwardly but that's a personality quirk and not intentional. He just seems to prefer to keep to himself. Him and I have had some pretty deep conversations about family etc.

Don't know why he is being portrayed as a cheap person when he isn't. I'm betting he paid strong money and paid immediately (or close to it) unlike some people who need time payments to pay off large purchases. That in itself is thanks enough, to a dealer like me anyway.

(shrug)